Post Election 2022

I'm glad we were able to keep our halfway decent Democrat Governor here in Michigan!

Her Lt. Governor is a Black man.
Hopefully after her second term he'll run and become the first Black Governor of the state.

There was a right-wing Black dude who was running for Congress in the district I live in and he loss to a White Democrat woman.
Had mixed feelings about it, but it was probably better that she won instead of him in the long run. 

I've said for years that whether they are Republican, Democrat, or Independent.....Black people should vote THEIR interests.

Vote for the person who promises the most and has a history of delivering on those promises, even if they're a Republican.

I've said numerous times that as much as I don't like Trump and think he's a racist clown, I can't deny I made more money under him than I did under Obama.
Infact, I ended up HOMELESS for several months under Obama.

richardmurray

Yes, in atleast one instance.

The former mayor of Detroit, Coleman A. Young.

He was elected to be the city's first Black mayor back in 1974 and made several promises DIRECTLY to the Black community and delivered on many of them, including integrating the police department and making it less racist.

When Coleman got into office he refused to allow 2 White police officers patrol any Black neighborhood together.
If the neighborhood was Black it had to be either 2 Black officers or a White officer with a Black officer....but absolutely not two White cops.

Facts.

We were kind of spoiled growing up in Detroit in the mid-late 70s and 80s.
Coleman Young shielded us from a lot of the racism and police brutality that so many Black people were facing in most other parts of the nation.

Detroit, Atlanta, D.C. St. Louis, and even Chicago to a certain extent has such large Black middle classes with a huge Black presence in every sector of city government so if you grew up in those cities, you most likely didn't feel the cold clutches of racism that say a person who grew up in New York, Cincinnati, or Denver did.
Pushed into slums and ghettoes, being locked out of good paying jobs and being forced to rely on hustling, illegal activities, and talents just to survive.

I didn't understand that anger and vitriol against the police that rappers like NWA were rapping about because most of the cops in Detroit were Black.
It wasn't until I got older and started traveling to L.A., New York, etc.....that I started seeing how a lot of other Black communities lived and how oppressed they were.

in defense of NYC @Pioneer1 NYC has a larger black upper poor or lower rich than any other city. remember nyc has a significantly larger population than detroit or washington d.c. , atlanta, back then especially. The problem is, NYC was and is so large in populace that it the black wealthy or black elected officials will never have the financial power or government control to uphold or protect the black community against the others , whites or other people of color who are trying to help themselves in the same way.

On 11/10/2022 at 9:01 PM, richardmurray said:

@Pioneer1 I can't recall in my living memory or written record of an elected official delivering on a promise to black people explictly. I recall some speaking to black people directly, but not delivering. Can you? 

What a completely dumb statement. President Lyndon Baines Johnson. the nation's 36th chief executive and a Democrat, delivered on his promise of passing a Civil Rights Bill as well as a Voting Rights Bill. 

Man, some of us are clueless about History.

On 11/9/2022 at 4:01 PM, richardmurray said:

I like the article from Dan rather, but he misses some key points for me

https://aalbc.com/tc/profile/6477-richardmurray/?status=2151&type=status

But no explanation from you. Which is proof you don't know a friggin' thing. 

13 hours ago, richardmurray said:

in defense of NYC @Pioneer1 NYC has a larger black upper poor or lower rich than any other city. remember nyc has a significantly larger population than detroit or washington d.c. , atlanta, back then especially. The problem is, NYC was and is so large in populace that it the black wealthy or black elected officials will never have the financial power or government control to uphold or protect the black community against the others , whites or other people of color who are trying to help themselves in the same way.

Another problem is New York has a very large percentage of "ethnic" Whites like Italians, Jews, and Irish who are less apologetic about their racism than the typical WASPS who make up the majority of Whites in other parts of the nation.  They were less willing to compromise and concede to Black power.

Some say that Latinos, Asians, and "ethnic" Whites don't feel as guilty about racism and the plight of Black Americans as do the average WASPs of America, so they are often more likely openly express their racism and do so unapologetically.

@Pioneer1 and to be blunt they don't have a need to be apologetic, this is where histories subtleties are important. the white anglo saxon protestants who came from england and annihilated the indigenous and enslaved the black african for financial profit pre or post independence from the british empire set up the rules of phenotypical race. Whites of asia/other parts of europe/who speak spanish simply benefitted.  In defense the WASPS tried to make said other whites underclass but the world war era led the fiscally wealthy whites to stop that. The reality is, if the fiscally wealthy whites didn't allow for "white unity" and not WASP domination of the white community, the world war period happens differently. But while the rich whites pushed a white unity across religion- jews/language latinos-geography asians, they maintained an anti black wall that hindered black folk, but that wasn't the new whites responsibility or call. Now, many can argue that if one does nothing that is evil enough but, I think those as you say ethnic whites, looked out for their community while the black community in the usa, spent energy trying to make the usa something it isn't. 

When I look at Stacy Abrams you see the reality of the black community in the USA. in the over 150 years since the end of the war between the states. 

Human leader, Friend to all , Unifier, warrior of the integration agenda and yet, gets nothing. Abrams has helped a whole lot of other communities in that part of the south and a whole lot of other represenatives, but herself and the black community in georgia... not much. 

IT is like the civil rights act. The civil rights act was originally meant to be a black only act. When Lyndon B Johnson changed it to a tentpoll it became important for the USA today, and reflected some of the long range ideas of those like MLK jr but for the larger black community the civil rights act became nothing because with it extended to white women/white jews/white muslims/white latinos/white asians and or course the various mullatoes/mixed bloods the black community didn't get the lift that was part of the point of the original civil rights act call, which black people warranted since we never got a lift in the entirety of usa history as a group. 

So, they shouldn't feel guilty, it wasn't italians or white jews that set the table in the USA. And, unlike many , not all, of the Black communities leaders, their leaders overwhelmingly looked out for their own first. And I think that is always the correct action of a leader. Yeah, all humans are human. But, people want their leaders to lead to betterment, not philosophy, and too many black leaders in the usa, like stacy abrams, are so philosophical, everyone praises her but she doesn't lead to betterment to wins for herself or for her phenotypical community en large and what message or lesson does that give? 

So NYC's black leadership has to change, but of course, it will not. NYC's black leadership has long been entrenched in universal humanism/individualism/self accountability, and regardless of how anyone views those terms, they all gave and give black leaders in nyc from sharpton to eric adams talking points: we can only do for all/ black people have to be responsible/all new yorkers have.... even though to one of those ethnic groups, the white jew, who recently were discovered to have a set of schools with kids failing over 90% on standardized test were not told they will have the rules applied to all on them or that they have to be held responsible for failings or new york city has a standard by most black leaders in nyc. said black leaders said, they have to wait for court cases and to see what is happening and... terms they would never give black people in nyc.

richardmurray

I don't know if I'd call Stacey Abrams a warrior or even a fighter.
She's a smart sister who is very politically astute, but she didn't fight for the Governorship of Georgia the first or this second time.

Clearly voter suppression and fraud occurs all over that state as do most states in the Union, so she'd certainly have a case in calling out voter suppression if she chose to do so.  But like a "good Democrat" she caves in to the advice her White benefactors whisper in her ear and saves her energy to help White folks get in office while denying herself the honors.

She's allowing herself to become a TOOL of the Democrat Party with nothing in return for herself or her people.