Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (NY) running for House Minority Leader

Rep. Hakeem Jeffries is stepping up to the plate to become Democratic Minority Leader in January 2023. 

House Speaker Rep. Nancy Pelosi will be stepping down as Democratic leader.

The GOP will take over the House in January 2023 which more than likely means Rep. Kevin McCarthy will become House Speaker.

Otherwise, Rep. Hakeem Jeffries would be the 1st Black person to hold the Democratic Minority Leader position. 

At 52 years old, Rep. Jeffries would also mark at generational shift in Democratic leadership. 

Right now, octogenarians run the show...House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (82), Democratic Majority Leader Rep. Steny Hoyer (83) and Democratic Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (82). 

Of course, the POTUS  will officially become an octogenarian this weekend (November 20).  He will need all the help he can get when it comes to fulfilling his agenda.

Under Rep. Jeffries, hopefully, younger leadership in Congress will have fresh ideas and be able to reach across the aisle and get more things done. 😎

I've been hearing about this brother for a long time.

I did a little....very little.....like 5 minutes worth....of research on him and I like what I've seen so far.
He has an AfroAmerican wife (or Black atleast).

I hope he doesn't end up a flunky for Alexandra Ocasio Cortez or the so-called Progressive members of the Democrat party who aren't about Progress for Black folks but are pushing their own strange agendas.

We need a solid Black man who will also fight for Black issues WHILE....let's keep it real....towing the party line when he has to.

I don't expect a Malcolm X up in Congress.
It would be nice to have one....but I don't expect one.

I'd be satisfied if we had an AfroAmerican Rep or Senator who just spent 20% of their time and platform focusing strictly on Black issues and getting them accomplished.
That's better than what we have right now.
Just Black faces sitting up there like bobble-heads occupying positions while towing their party's line.

It remains to be seen what Rep. Jeffries will do when he gets behind the wheel.

My gut feeling from hearing him speak is that Rep. Jeffries will be busy towing the party line and working on behalf of all Americans.

Rep. Jeffries won't have time to focus on Black issues especially considering there's no agenda (reparations).

Often times, Black folks think politicians can solve their problems.  That's not what they do.

Politicians manage government resources and they come up laws and legislation to make life easier for citizens. Black folks need to put something on the table. 😎

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

It remains to be seen what Rep. Jeffries will do when he gets behind the wheel.

My gut feeling from hearing him speak is that Rep. Jeffries will be busy towing the party line and working on behalf of all Americans.

Rep. Jeffries won't have time to focus on Black issues especially considering there's no agenda (reparations).

Often times, Black folks think politicians can solve their problems.  That's not what they do.

Politicians manage government resources and they come up laws and legislation to make life easier for citizens. Black folks need to put something on the table. 😎

Well put!

• 2 weeks later...