Representation in the Gaming Industry

Hi everyone.

I am currently studying Concept Art for games and I would really like an open discussion on the topic of representation of race and cultures in games. As an artist I feel it is my duty to create interesting characters of all races and cultures but I feel ,although getting better, feel this lacks in the gaming industry. 

So here's a question to start the topic. I'm currently working on a Monk based character specifically shaolin monk. I want to make the character Asian. Is this racial stereotyping? I wanted to honour and represent the monk character correctly, but where do I draw the line between racial stereotyping and honouring a cultures heritage? If I was to create the monk character with a different race would that be disrespectful?

Feel free to add any thoughts about the title of this topic. I'd really like a fruitful conversation on this topic as I plan to write a paper on this.

An artist has the creative freedom to produce art according to their vision, talent, knowledge, skills and abilities. 

Whatever that art looks like is clearly up to the artist. No consultation or consensus required.

The real questions are 1) who is the target audience and 2) what should they see and feel when playing the game. 😎

• Thanks 1

I have not played any video games since Guitar Hero first came out (purchased for my kids).  I have never played any games where you could see the faces of the characters...

Like the good professor wrote, as an artist you have the license to do what you want within the bounds of your talent.

That said, why not a Shaolin monk? Maybe he was down with Wu-Tang 😉

• Thanks 1

@Conceptart88

As an artist I feel it is my duty to create interesting characters of all races and cultures but I feel ,although getting better, feel this lacks in the gaming industry. 

Before I go further with this........

What race/ethnicity are you?

Also, I notice you spell "honour" with a "u".
Are you from England or Australia or New Zealand?

On 12/7/2022 at 5:13 PM, Conceptart88 said:

@Pioneer1 

I am Caucasian and British. 

Ok, thank you!

I say go with your first thought and make sure you include as many races and cultures in your work as you desire.
Explore your creativity!

As an artist, you will live on through your work for many many generations including millennia....so don't limit yourself.

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2022 at 5:53 AM, Conceptart88 said:

So here's a question to start the topic. I'm currently working on a Monk based character specifically shaolin monk. I want to make the character Asian. Is this racial stereotyping? I wanted to honour and represent the monk character correctly, but where do I draw the line between racial stereotyping and honouring a cultures heritage? If I was to create the monk character with a different race would that be disrespectful?

Well, my opinion is based on a little knowledge and again, a little observation. When I was younger, I did not watch much television, but I later became curious about how certain cartoons and historical fiction shows and also gaming characters were aligned with truth. I began to pay notice to the credits after the show and it seems to me that a lot of cartoons and such are based on a lot of research from learned historians. Therefore, I believe that if you want to use an Asian character for a shaolin monk, you should at least do some research on that wise. Right off the top of my thoughts, the word 'Monk' signifies a very early presence of Black African typed 'ancient Sumerians' that were present in the ancient far east and then by the time that the shaolin monk became historical, well, I don't know. But I do believe at the time of these kinds of monks, there were still a significan presence of AFrican-typed 'monks' there too! I remember a recent movie, but the title escapes me though, of a film that showed a lot of historical fiction and I was very well aware of some of the roles played by Asians  were actually a depiction of Blacks. One of the common terms thrown around in that movies was the derogatory term for Blacks at that time, 'LACKEY' [i.e. Blackey]. 

So, again, if people don't care about historical acurracy in your depictions, then you will do great, but if people do care, then it might cause your invention to not take off very well.

• Thanks 2

Chev

Therefore, I believe that if you want to use an Asian character for a shaolin monk, you should at least do some research on that wise. Right off the top of my thoughts, the word 'Monk' signifies a very early presence of Black African typed 'ancient Sumerians' that were present in the ancient far east and then by the time that the shaolin monk became historical, well, I don't know. But I do believe at the time of these kinds of monks, there were still a significan presence of AFrican-typed 'monks' there too! I remember a recent movie, but the title escapes me though, of a film that showed a lot of historical fiction and I was very well aware of some of the roles played by Asians  were actually a depiction of Blacks.

Yeah, I wanted to bring up that the first people in China were actually Black and the first Samurai of Japan were Black, but I wasn't sure about the first Shaolin Monks so I left it alone.
But thanks for mentioning the history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Art does not require historical accuracy and/or authenticity unless it is being created to educate.

Otherwise, art as entertainment can be anything conjured up by the artist's imagination and creativity.  

That's why people enjoy different types of artwork and various genres of film and music.

Sometimes, art provides an escape from reality and allows folks to fantasize, cheer  or live vicariously through characters. 😎

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Yeah, I wanted to bring up that the first people in China were actually Black and the first Samurai of Japan were Black, but I wasn't sure about the first Shaolin Monks so I left it alone.
But thanks for mentioning the history.

Thanks @Pioneer1. Yes, I forgot about the Samurai. You are right!

Also, I remember that movie now.

It was called, Iron Monkey, I think!

And, the term Monk and 'Key' in ancient times meant 'an Original Monk', however, this too became derogatory much later in time. 

--monkey--

• Like 1

@Conceptart88 use the internet and simply ask monks or asians who are associated with monks. One of the tragedies of the internet is many groups have emails have message systems to communicate with. Use them. Ask them directly, how do you want to be viewed in video games? What are your peeves with how monks are represented?  Do you know of some monks who are lesser known, who are not of asian descent but of african descent, indigenous native american descent. Ask about. 

If I was in your shoes that is what I will do. And when you have a black character? ask the folks here what they think. 

When you develop a character, beyond it being accepted or culturally suitable, knowing more about a subculture or culture can expand how you see the character and its own plot or usefullness or abilities in the game. 

• Like 1