IRENE CARA: DID YOU KNOW THAT SHE WAS BLACK LISTED!?

IRENE CARA: DID YOU KNOW THAT SHE WAS BLACK LISTED!?

Oh Wow! This popular youtuber showed up on my channel, but I have never heard of her until now. I did not know that Irene Cara was also part Cuban. Her father is a Black man from Puerto Rico and her mother is cuban. Irene Cara was born in the Bronx, New York, so I just learned about a new term that I've never heard of until now regarding Puerto Rican people who whom were born in New York and thereabouts. They have been referred to as "Nuyorican". Interesting. My step-brother is from Buffalo, New York, however, I've never heard him say anything about this. I did not hear of this on this channel but there are a lot of videos now about Irene Cara and this one seems interesting.

Anyway, she posted some information about Irene Cara and some other interesting tidbits. I recently heard about the Byron Allen award show and she also said it was a great event. So now, I like this youtuber and plan on listening in on her again. Her name is Patty Jackson, maybe someone has heard of her before. At any rate, I am posting this first video that I have come across. She also said that at the same time the Griot Awards show aired, the Soul Train awards show also aired. 

• Thanks 1

According to some sources, she did win some money. But the guy who apparently stonewalled her had friends and they badmouthed her. 

She kept singing and was thought to be trying to make a comeback. But the Covid 19 pandemic kept her fearful and she stayed by herself. 

She avoided dating anyone following her divorce from her stuntman husband. Again, this is according to published gossip pieces.

• Like 1

Ofcourse she was blacklisted.

She's a Latina who hung around and worked with too many AfroAmericans.

She's AfroLatina herself, but like most Black and AfroLatinos....she probably was expected to stay away from AfroAmericans and find either another lighter skinned Latino or White American to marry and have children with and "improve the race".
Instead she went the other route singing and dancing with Black folks and playing in Black movies....kissing on Black men, lol.

13 hours ago, ProfD said:

The term Nuyorican has been around for a couple decades now.

I'm not sure why you mention this (I did not watch the video), but "Nuyorican" has been around a lot longer than 20 years -- I can recall the term for most of my life.  @Delano you may be familiar with the Nuyorican Poets Cafe -- that goes back ... what 50 years?

Hummm I thought Aretha Franklin sang all those songs from Sparkle.  I also remember Irene from the TV series Fame (she was in that right?).  Sorry to hear she was Blacklisted I just assumed that she aged out, failing to stay relevant in a rapidly changing industry...  Did she have any hit records?

5 hours ago, Troy said:

I'm not sure why you mention this (I did not watch the video), but Nuyorican" has been around a lot longer than 20 years....

I was responding to Chevdove's initial post. 

But, NYers  would know better than I do.😁😎