It is time to save online conversations

I'm looking around for some software that will make comments on this site's web pages and maybe even replace the discussion forum software.  The account creation really discourages people from participating.  The video was on one of those vendors' websites.

I liked the spirit of the video. 

Hmmm......

What I saw in that HIGHLY politicized video wasn't ideas on how to save "conversation on the internet" but a group of people with controversial views going at eachother.
Same thing you could see anytime of the day if you flip on Fox News or CNN and watch their "non-news" shows.

I have no problem with ADDING a new format like this to the already existing one, however I personally like THIS format where we can text each other back and forth with various ideas and conversations without necessarily showing our faces and backgrounds.

I'm not sure why so many people are so naive to believe there's some sort of "honor" in face timing total strangers with highly charged political beliefs and not expect negative consequences from some emotionally unstable maniac who takes things the wrong way or too far.

Troy, here comes the CONSPIRACY talk again.....lol.

Too often when people talk about "modernizing" and "upgrading" things.....they don't give people the OPTION to stick with the old if they so choose.
They ELIMINATE the old way and give you no choice BUT to go along with the new program that they "call" and improvement.

I'm inclined to believe that the encouragement to eliminate the text formatting of online discussions and replace it with a more face-time oriented format has NOTHING to do with modernization and upgrading conversations on the internet...but has more to do with subversive groups both IN and OUT of law enforcement being able to identify and nail down those they perceive to be "threats" and "agitator" and put a face with the words so they can be more easily found.

Interesting how the Zoom model of communication is spreading since the pandemic. 

IMO, the current model of the discussion forum works just fine. Folks can pop in and out of the conversations at their leisure.

Also, there's no need to get dressed up or groomed before lights, camera, action.😁😎

I don't have a problem with the Zoom or face time mode of communiation.
I think it's a GOOD thing.
As long as we're not FORCED into only having conversations that way.

My issue is why when White folks in this society talk about upgrades they ALSO remove the old former models as well?
If it's an improvement and beneficial then give the people the CHOICE to shift over to it instead of trying to force them to cross over.

As I said before, I suspect this push is just more of a sneaky way to find out who is saying what so people will know who their political enemies are and go after them.
You have to know people are analyzing these videos and not only identifying the facial features of the poster but also their background too catching every little detail.

In a high technology world, there's less anonymity. Big Brother has been watching folks for a long time now.

Folks showing their faces on a screen makes it easier to identify them but ISPs, cell phones, cable boxes, navigation,  web browsers, etc., have been keeping track of folks for many years now.

A Brady Bunch style of communication is cool for office meetings but pointless in online discussion. 😎

ProfD

I've said many times before, the Government itself has ways of finding out WHO you are and WHERE you are.

That's not the problem....or the biggest one atleast.

The bigger problem are these little Alt-Right and racist groups who run around here ALSO doing surveillance on Black websites trying to keep track of members and posters and who is saying and doing what. 
They don't have the technology that the government has.
The only personal information most of them have of you if what you GIVE them by putting it out their online for them to collect.

I think that's what gets a lot of our people in trouble.
Not thinking and being so bold and naive as to put too much of their business and personal information out there in cyberspace not suspecting the worse.

Our people too often put more of an emphasis on being BRAVE than being SMART, and this bravo often costs them their lives.

21 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

The bigger problem are these little Alt-Right and racist groups who run around here ALSO doing surveillance on Black websites trying to keep track of members and posters and who is saying and doing what. 
They don't have the technology that the government has.

Actually, racists  have access to the same information as the government because they either work for it and/or through back channels.

H8ll, it's not that hard for the Chinese to get our  information. 🤣

AfroAmericans will always be compromised as long as our position on the chessboard is weak.  We have to be willing to fight and die for real freedom. 

Until AfroAmericans move beyond passivity and believing spirituality will solve our problems, we are sitting ducks in this dispensation. 😎

• Like 1

ProfD

Actually, knowing what I know now...I believe TRUE Spirituality actually WILL solve our problems.
All of them.

The key is in understanding what "True Spirituality" is....and what it is not.

Spirituality isn't lighting candles, burning incense, or sitting with your legs crossed mumbling jibberish hoping somebody will float down with a sword and save you from your enemies.

Spirituality actually includes being able to leave your body to gather information.

Spirituality is going to other realms and other worlds to get information and technology to bring back to THIS realm and use to advance your society.

White people have been using the above said Spirituality for centuries to advance their society.
They used it in the form of Remove Viewing and other secret programs that they learned by studying Indigenous Shaman.

They give Negroes FAKE spirituality in the form of religions and charms and superstitions in order to keep them confused and running around in circles doing that which is ineffective, but many of THEM practice the real tried-n-true methods.

@Pioneer1, you're giving White folks way too much credit. 🤣

For centuries, White folks have been stealing ideas and pillaging resources and killing other folks in order to advance their society.

No spirituality required. Just a willingness to kill without batting an eyelash.

"Simple ain't it...but quite clever"...Rakim😎

Well, thanks for the feedback.  Since your opinions are the only ones that matter (those expressed right here). I plan on keeping this forum exactly the way it is.

But people can also engage on all the content pages on this site.  For example, on the review of Kamala Harris's memoir we have these comments

I would like there to be more comments, but right now they are mostly troll-like or self-promotion; no real attempt to dialog... but this is not unique to AALBC.

• Thanks 1

Troy

No problem.

Well, if you really want to take this site in that direction or add Zoom-type forum on to it.....don't let OUR opinions stop you.
Go ahead and experiment and see if it gets you what you're looking for.
But be forewarned that more comments and members generally lead to more problems.

Also, White people will certainly bring more discussion and topics to this site, even when it comes to Black issues.
They'll even give you money to support more content.
But with that will come more subtle but sure control and influence by them.

As for engaging in the other forums and pages  🤷‍♂️  I'm not sure why but it's become kind of my thing to stay in my "hood" here, lol.
I'd like to think I'm waiting for some sort of special occasion before I go exploring the other forums.