AAFCA calls ‘The Woman King’ the Best Film of 2022

s-l500.png“Black films which make an impact on our minds and hearts are also making a sizable impact at the box office. Our top film, The Woman King, bridges the gap between telling important, heartfelt stories, and providing an entertaining experience for movie-going audiences.”

—AAFCA president and co-founder Gil Robertson

As previously expressed on these forums I would agree with the African American Film Critics Association's (AAFCA) assessment of The Woman KingNow I have only seen three of the films on the list, but The Woman King was one of the best films I've seen in a long time. If Davis does not earn an Academy Award nomination it will be a travesty.

Interestingly, but not really surprising, is Nope's failure to make the AAFCA's top 10.  

Now if you look at the way white folks rank The Woman King and Nope you get a completely different picture.  I heard an interview on NPR which discussed the top films of 2022 The Woman King was completely overlooked and Nope was touted as one of the best films of the year. One white film critic solidified Peele's place as a great filmmaker -- wow!

Nope's critical acclaim relative to The Woman King in white circles is fascinating.  This demonstrates why it is important for Black platforms to exist and for them to celebrate Black art.  

Here are the rest of the African American Film Critics Association's top 10 films:

1. “The Woman King”

2. “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”

3. “Till”

4. “Sidney”

5. “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery” & “Emancipation”

6. “Inspection”

7. “Causeway”

8. “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

9. “Wendell & Wild”

10. “Devotion”

• Troy changed the title to AAFCA calls ‘The Woman King’ the Best Film of 2022

I've seen movies #1 and #2.  They are both excellent.  I can live with that order or make the case to flip them. 

Nonetheless, I think sista Viola Davis deserves to be nominated for and win an Academy award for her performance in "The Woman King".😎

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ProfD said:

I think sista Viola Davis deserves to be nominated for and win an Academy award for her performance in "The Woman King".

Oh Wow! @ProfD You seen both films already!

I am interested in the Wakanda film but as before, I usually do see these new films until they leave the theaters but not deliberately, however, it's just my priorty lifestyle. 

I think that's interesting of you assessment of Viola King's role in that slave film. 

It will be interesting how the film industry will continue to contrast and compare the top two films!

Good share @Troy 

And I repeat my sentiment that the critics didn't state but I think has value as well. 

Yes the woman spoke about a section of black history that many black people don't know. It dealt with africa during the time of white european enslavement with a human while complex story , befitting that time. 

The actions sequences and performances were great. 

But I do think the production of that film warrants awards to. It was produced by a lot of black folk, i think majority black production, definitely significant and pan black, meaning black people from either side of the atlantic invested money in a movie made in south africa. 

I am not suggesting the actors/plot/special effects/costumes don't matter. But, even if the film was a failure in all of those aspects I think the production warrants that. 

You spoke of awards and they are important for media narrative, but at the end of the day, films need money to be produced and films are works of art that usually don't return the financial investment, so you need symbols of your community investing in film to hopefully spur more of it.

19 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

So the two so-called "best" Black films of 2022 just HAPPEN to be films depicting and encouraging Black women to take on roles as soldiers, fighters, and warriors.

Clearly an agenda is afoot.

Lighten up bro. 🤣

If I thought there was an agenda behind these movies, I would not have seen them and would have been posted a similar concern.

While I do believe some movies and music could contain subliminal messages, I listen for it while enjoying the artistic value.

It's no different from violent movies and gangsta rap. We have to be mature enough to separate fact from fiction. 

When it comes to art in general, we should be able to acknowledge and appreciate talent, imagination and creativity. 😎

• Haha 1

ProfD

We can see them AND enjoy them while acknowledging the true purpose they serve.

Kind of how we listen to and bounce to NWA and Ice Cube while knowing full well that Gangsta Rap was designed and promoted to encourage dysfunction in the AfroAmerican community.

It's no different from violent movies and gangsta rap. We have to be mature enough to separate fact from fiction. 

Then perhaps these films shouldn't be seen by anyone UNDER 25, since most young people aren't mature enough to make that separation.
For them, life should imitate art.

20 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Then perhaps these films shouldn't be seen by anyone UNDER 25, since most young people aren't mature enough to make that separation.

Spoken (written) like a true old man. Every generation has a similar complaint about the next.🤣

Keep in mind that we were under 25 years old while bumping Gangsta rap music and watching violent azz movies. Our elders thought we were all going to h8ll in handbaskets. 

Yet, here we are as middle-aged men. We weren't motivated to rob, steal, kill and sell drugs as a result of music and movies. 

Don't get me wrong...plenty folks have gone on to be negative but the majority of them were conditioned by environmental factors moreso than entertainment. 😎

• Haha 1

Perhaps they both influenced eachother.

The Gangsta Rap of the 90s was influenced by the gang culture and street life of South Central Los Angeles of the 70s and 80s.
But then THAT music began to influence the street culture and glorify the gangsta lifestyle in neighborhoods all over America which lead to an increase in drug use, drug dealing, gang banging, and overall criminal activity.

During my school days me and my boys would get hyped up on gangsta rappers like Too Short and NWA before rushing and fighting kids from another highschool and it also encouraged us to get involved in other nefarious activities.

Yet, here we are as middle-aged men. We weren't motivated to rob, steal, kill and sell drugs as a result of music and movies. 

I was headed in that direction because of how I admired the gangster lifestyle I heard about and saw not just in real life but on television, in the movies, and in the music!

First and foremost, The SUPREME BEING Protected me from going that route.

A distant second reason is the Nation of Islam got ahold of me and saved me from a lot of that madness back in my late teens.
I realized it was a plan by the enemy for self-destruction.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 2:27 PM, Pioneer1 said:

For them, life should imitate art.

Yes, I agree. I can make the separation though, but still, I just don't connect to this kind of twist. 

5 hours ago, Chevdove said:

Yes, I agree. I can make the separation though, but still, I just don't connect to this kind of twist. 

Most people with good sense can make the separation; however a lot of young people....a large percentage...DON'T have good sense.
They don't have sense enough to look out for themselves.  Others have to look out for them to keep them out of danger and trouble.

They put out negative and self destructive movies and music knowing that the majority of youth won't be influenced by it but a SIZEABLE MINORITY will....and that's enough to fill up the jails and prisons and funeral homes and give good business.

6 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Most people with good sense can make the separation; however a lot of young people....a large percentage...DON'T have good sense.

LOL! Exactly. @Pioneer1

6 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

They put out negative and self destructive movies and music knowing that the majority of youth won't be influenced by it but a SIZEABLE MINORITY will....and that's enough to fill up the jails and prisons and funeral homes and give good business.

Yes.

I don't knock Black people for seeing these films as good entertainment but the fact that it's based on one of the most heinous acts of African Slavers is amazing to me. Maybe a couple of years from now, people will still understand the real historical truth of what happened with the Agojie Woman Slave Catchers.  

But, this kind of topic keeps reminding me of the Rennaisance Era when Art imitated truth and it was completely acceptable to re-create idols and then take these White idols that were all over Europe into the continent of Africa and the Americas. 

I agree with @ProfD in one respect, but as you say, @Pioneer1it's the minorities that may take ideas as being true and then act on it and end up in the system for good business. 

This may be off topic, but to me it's along the same lines when I think of how, before Obama, there was nothing... and then after the LBGTQ Movement is as if it was always a part of our America system and well, when these relationships end up in court in front of the judge for divorce or whatever, it is good for business.

And another subject come to mind-- From cigarettes to vaping. Oh and POT. Good for business. America knows how to keep us filling their pockets. 

But again, LOL, I guess I may need to NOT READ INTO THIS SO MUCH, you know, lighten up. 

I am happy that Black women are being elevated in the movies, though. But did it have to be the Dahomey slave system!? Man! LOL. 

• Thanks 1

The comparison between Gangsta rap music industry and these two movies is a flawed analogy on several levels.

First the the presumption that both are a deliberate schemes to undermine black peoples is flawed especially when applied to the marvel film and the woman king.

i don’t think gangsta rap was good for the black community outside of the black people who were enriched by it.  Any harm done to the black community was incidental. The only goal was to make money regardless of color. One could argue the white community was adversely effected by gangsta rap.

One would have a great deal of difficulty reasonably arguing that the woman king and black Panther is harming the black community for showcasing women warriors. They also in real life there are female marines, professional mixed martial artists. Boxers, etc. there have aureus be female warriors. 

i think @Pioneer1 you have unconsciously assimilated the old short lived Victorian sensibility of the fair frail weak woman who must be protected by a man.

The comparison between Gangsta rap music industry and these two movies is a flawed analogy on several levels.

First the the presumption that both are a deliberate schemes to undermine black peoples is flawed especially when applied to the marvel film and the woman king.

i don’t think gangsta rap was good for the black community outside of the black people who were enriched by it.  Any harm done to the black community was incidental. The only goal was to make money regardless of color. One could argue the white community was adversely effected by gangsta rap.

One would have a great deal of difficulty reasonably arguing that the woman king and black Panther is harming the black community for showcasing women warriors. They also in real life there are female marines, professional mixed martial artists. Boxers, etc. there have aureus be female warriors. 

i think @Pioneer1 you have unconsciously assimilated the old short lived Victorian sensibility of the fair frail weak woman who must be protected by a man.

Dr. Umar Johnson touched on it a little in the last minute of this video:

But it's naive and pollyannish to sit up and think that Hollywood and the entertainment industry that is controlled by White racists aren't using the music and movies to pump messages of self-destruction and negativity into the minds of our youth and most vulnerable populations for the purposes of control and manipulation.

Clearly they are....and they've BEEN doing it....and there's plenty of evidence that they have.
In the age of the internet all you have to do is Google "mind control through music/movies" and you'll get page after page of the different strategies White racists have been using to manipulate the minds of people.

So now that you KNOW it's happening, it's a matter of Black folks simply sticking their heads in the sand like ostriches and pretending that what they clearly are seeing "doesn't exist"

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I did not listen to Umar, but sure images of non-dysfunctional, cis gender heterosexual Black men paired with a Black woman are marginalized by the media. 

What else is new?

This does not mean i don’t want images of strong Black women shown, or take it as a threat.

It would be nice to see more balance, but i don’t expect anyone to do it for us.

3 hours ago, Troy said:

It would be nice to see more balance, but i don’t expect anyone to do it for us.

Facts.

We cannot expect Hollywood to write, direct and finance our stories without putting their own spin on it. 

They are slick enough to use our own people to do their bidding.

At some point, we need to take ownership and do for ourselves. 

That's the only way we can have any control over our images and how we are portrayed.😎

@ProfD YEs but if you look at the history of black film from mischeaux to nollywood , black cinema has financed its own visions for over 100 years. But while the black community has written/directed/financed out own films , we do not have the power to dictate advertising or movie theaters. That requires a level of power that all black people know we didn't and don't have and the reasons have nothing to do with laziness or lack of ownership but our historic rivalry with the white community everywhere in humanity. 

There is limit to the nonviolent approach. And Black people who don't believe non violence has limits do the village a great disservice because it does. The Black community in the USA had an era of negro leagues where most owners were black, had and have historic black colleges- though most were never mostly financed by black people, have independent movie producers. But, Black people can't blame ourselves for not having the wealth of whites when black people know white wealth comes from the thing many black people keep uttering we shouldn't do, and that is violence. Black people want to have full control you have to have violence and all the potential pain or suffering as well as potential success or happiness that comes from violence. 

Black people have done nonviolently what we can but nonviolence has limits. And history proves me right.

If violence were actually a viable option for us, we would not need to use it.

Violence is a primitive tactic used by dumb, short sighted thugs. 

All the violence in the world did not keep Black people from being freed, obtaining rights, and enjoying liberties.

Violence is not what is holding us back today.

We need to achieve some semblance of unity. We also have to be willing to sacrifice some time, energy, and money then rally those resources to develop strategies for our common good.

Umoja is the first principal of Kwanzaa for a reason.

3 hours ago, richardmurray said:

That requires a level of power that all black people know we didn't and don't have...

But, Black people can't blame ourselves for not having the wealth of whites when black people know white wealth comes from the thing many black people keep uttering we shouldn't do, and that is violence. 

If Black folks took a portion of the money we spend on gross consumerism....lottery tickets, alcohol, drugs, clothes, shoes, vacations, hair, vehicles, etc., we could buy a movie theater chain. 

Constructively pooling Black wealth toward goals doesn't require violence. Just a plan and discipline.

There's a time and place for violence. Black folks can build wealth without detonating that nuclear option. 😎

@Troy

viability, a thing that lives. PEace or violence are always viable. and I quote myself

YEs but if you look at the history of black film from mischeaux to nollywood , black cinema has financed its own visions for over 100 years.

I stated that black people in the usa used and had great levels of unity, used and lived by  nonviolence , and achieved, reached. I didn't say nonviolence was inviable. I said nonviolence has limits. But violence has limits to. This is why the empire where the sun never set, had a setting sun. Violence has limits. 

When you use the word viable I think of the word safe. Tulsa's black community was nonviolent/unified but nonviolence can't protect anybody as they learned the most blunt way. And in the same way, violence is never safe. Violence always breeds pain or death more than anything else. But it also can breed levels of joy or freedom. tHis is why the only black populace in the american continent, from canada to argentina, to reach the highest levels of freedom was for a short time in haiti. They used violence, very unsafe, many haitians died, far more than europeans, but the win was something no other black peoples in the american continent ever had or have now.

short sighted thugs... the roman empire lasted for 2,000 years

the founding fathers of the usa , white men, started a global empire that is currently dominating humanity, itself led by white men, that you live in, whose wealth comes entirely from violent acts.

the british empire made english the common language in humanity

short sighted dumb thugs... 

if that is the way you see it, fair enough

I didn't say violence or nonviolence held black people back. I said nonviolence has limits. All strategies have limits.

That requires a level of power that all black people know we didn't and don't have and the reasons have nothing to do with laziness or lack of ownership but our historic rivalry with the white community everywhere in humanity. 

There is limit to the nonviolent approach. And Black people who don't believe non violence has limits do the village a great disservice because it does.

As Frederick Douglass said unstraightly

the Black community in the usa is doing exactly what he led it to do, to be part of a collective individualism. Most black people in the usa didn't want it then, most black people in the usa don't seem to comprehend it now. The USA Frederick Douglass wanted to be, which is why frederick douglass opposed black people being unified in all black towns in the usa nonviolently ala exodusters, is about individual ability, not collective. Frederick Douglass loved Black unity but he saw human unity as more important and the inevitable destination of a composite nation. And a main tenet to that path is non violence as a tactic. 

Black people in the usa are not being held back as much as they are on a path that will not provide what many of them think in terms of the black community. The white man will admit that the black community is only second to whites in all financial categories and considering the white communities wealth comes from violence and the black community is nonviolent, well, that will remain the way for the foreseeable future, but that isn't negative, if the goal is to be a country of many races. 

yes it is, but functionality is the debate, not unity. And the black community is functioning well, in the nonviolent context that it has positioned itself in. 

@ProfD

I clearly am a bad writer as you or troy prove. and that is unfortunate for me. If you read my words you would had realized that I didn't suggest impotency on the part of the black community in the usa. 

The question is, does the black film industry in the usa need movie theaters?

I Argue the black community didn't need movie theaters. Why must the black film industry have to work as the white one ? 

Again, OScar Micheaux to nollywood prove black people have been making movies over one hundred years. The issue isn't making movies or needing movie theaters. The issue is accepting the financial weakness of a community that has never used violent means for wealth in any grand way in the last one hundred and fifty years. 

I Argue, Black people's film industry shows viewing films in the home is the market , not in a theater. So, how many black customers buy black films to show in the home? how many black people had projectors or systems to view films. That is what the industrial review says, not mirroring the white film industry.

I didn't say violence was needed to pool financial resources, I said certain goals will not be reached absent the use of violence. That is not the same thing but as I said , I am unfortunately a bad writer. 

Like nonviolence, violence is for any time or any place. THe question is, can one live with the sequences, pro or con, of either. Black people , don't know if most or minor, but definitely of a large percentage in the usa, are frightened of the consequence of violence , a well earned fear, but nonviolence has limits. and as I told troy so does violence. nothing grants you everything, nothing. The questions are what can you live with or what do you truly want or what path are you truly going toward. 

4 hours ago, richardmurray said:

The question is, does the black film industry in the usa need movie theaters?

No. Movie theaters are not a required.  But, Black folks need some type of platform for movies in which they control content and profit.

tHis is why the only black populace in the american continent, from canada to argentina, to reach the highest levels of freedom was for a short time in haiti. They used violence, very unsafe, many haitians died, far more than europeans, but the win was something no other black peoples in the american continent ever had or have now.

As I mentioned in a thread about Haiti, while they did fight for their freedom, the reward has been perpetual poverty for those Haitians who aren't a part of the ruling class and their family, friends and cronies. 

Replacing one oppressor with another isn't a sign of progress. There has to be balance.

I clearly am a bad writer as you or troy prove. and that is unfortunate for me. 

It's not that you're a bad writer. We hsve different ideologies. That's healthy for constructive discussion. 😎

@ProfD

And my point was maybe a platform isn't needed, greater individual quality can be the solution.

They didn't just fight for the freedom, say the whole thing, they won it. And I as I mentioned before. And I oppose your historical assessment. Your suggesting that Haiti's modern and near modern financial situation is a reward or resultant for them using violence to earn freedom which no other black community in the american continent, which includes the usa , has ever earned from their oppressors. Your suggestion I view, I view, as a lie. Modern haitian fiscal situation is disconnected . It isn't a reward for earning their freedom. It is an inevitability to being surrounded by enemies. Haiti's problem isn't hard to comprehend. To haiti's north was the USA, a country founded on white power, white domination, or black enslavement. To HAiti's west was the british colony of jamaica which Marcus Garvey fled and used as inspiration for saying all black people of african descent in the american continent needed to return to africa, nonviolently, but immediately. To the east or south was various latin american countries where negras are totally dominated in the casta system where blancos are top mestizos are second and negras are at the bottom.  

Haiti had only one way to stop the inevitable financial attack from the outside and that was greater natural resources in haiti, but haiti is an island in the caribbean. IT doesn't have the natural resources to support itself like that. 

I am afriad to ask how many black children have heard the lie you have continually mentioned on here about haiti. it is false assessment historically. you have the right to make it, it is yours, I don't want you to change it, but it is false,. 

Your statement on oppression is disconnected to the point. Black people in haiti as in all countries have layers of oppressors. Haiti was able to be whites out of haiti but not the entire planet and unfortunately for Haiti, whites ran all of humanity except haiti.

Well thank you. The truth is I don't see myself as a bad writer, but I don't like people assessing from my words falsely. Varying opinions is one things, but false assessments or lies is another, and I find in this forum, looking at many comments, not merely my own, 1+1=5 to often in multilogs in here.  I don't think that sort of calculation is constructive, i think it is dysfunctional. 

10 hours ago, richardmurray said:

Tulsa's black community was nonviolent/unified but nonviolence can't protect anybody as they learned the most blunt way.

they were not violent, in that they they not try to burn down the white community,  but they used violence to defend themselves as best they could  but they were out numbered and outgunned.

Using violence to protect yourself against a violent adversary is expected, but going around pillaging is what thugs do.

10 hours ago, richardmurray said:

2,000 years? Being hyperbolic to make a point. huh?

If you considered the actual duration of the Roman empire you’d see it was a relative flash in the pan compared to other civilizations especially African ones.

5 hours ago, richardmurray said:

They didn't just fight for the freedom, say the whole thing, they won it.

And I as I mentioned before. And I oppose your historical assessment.

Your suggesting that Haiti's modern and near modern financial situation is a reward or resultant for them using violence to earn freedom which no other black community in the american continent, which includes the usa , has ever earned from their oppressors. Your suggestion I view, I view, as a lie.  

Haiti had only one way to stop the inevitable financial attack from the outside and that was greater natural resources in haiti, but haiti is an island in the caribbean. IT doesn't have the natural resources to support itself like that. 

I am afriad to ask how many black children have heard the lie you have continually mentioned on here about haiti. it is false assessment historically. you have the right to make it, it is yours, I don't want you to change it, but it is false,. 

Well thank you. The truth is I don't see myself as a bad writer, but I don't like people assessing from my words falsely. Varying opinions is one things, but false assessments or lies...

Herein lies the problem with your writing.

Firstly, you want to dictate what others write. I've mentioned several times that's not gonna happen.

Second, when an opinion or view doesn't line up with whatever you think or believe, you reject it or attack it as inaccurate or lies. Non-constructive.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and interpretation of historical information. We do not have to agree on anything.

In other words, it does not matter whether or not you agree or disagree with my opinion or position. I have a guaranteed qualification to write and say whatever I think. 

A discussion is like a tennis match. Serve and volley. The difference is we're not keeping score. There are no winners and losers. It's a zero sum game.

Haiti won the battle in defeating the French. Native Americans won the battle against American colonizers. They both lost the war.

If Haiti had been allowed to control its sugar cane crop without having to pay France into perpetuity, the country would be in a better position on several fronts.

As an example, look no further than the Middle East and its black gold export. While our sand brothas have their own issues in dealing with white folks, they aren't being raped of their natural resource and/or paying a heavy tax to any former oppressors.

Black countries have the same problem all over the planet. That is a failure to unify among themselves in order to keep white folks from dominating them.

A combination of diplomacy and only when absolutely necessary is violence required in order to protect ourselves individually and collectively. That applies to countries too.😎

@ProfD  

I will say I see the following of what you wrote as truth

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and interpretation of historical information. We do not have to agree on anything.

I concur, it is true that individuals are free to think individually, doesn't mean they are telling the truth. Nor is liking or agreeing a prerequisite to anything. 

@Troy

tulsa didn't defend itself, they were nonviolent and paid the price for it.

I didn't argue the roman empire lasted longer than any other empire, the point was to emphasize an empire based on what you called, I Quote

a primitive tactic used by dumb, short sighted thugs. 

has a very lasting impression in humanity, that still permeates in humanity today, even though that empire is gone. 

But ok, don't reply. 

what do you mean don’t reply?  As in don’t respond to what you wrote about what i wrote? Why?

The best way to ensure that i, or any one, does not reply is to not reply yourself. 

The people of Black Wall Street did try to defend themselves. From the moment Dick Rowland was arrested Black people fought back.  Black service men marched to the court house and saved Rowland  from a likely lynching. I lived there and learned quite a bit about the event while there. 

3 hours ago, richardmurray said:

I didn't argue the roman empire lasted longer than any other empire,

i did not say you did, but clearly you were implying that they were violent and had a culture that lasted a long time. Otherwise what point were you making?

@Troy

I have no power to ensure anyone do anything online outside myself so to think on that is dysfunctional thus why i asked. 

you mentioned a comparison between the roman empire's length of duration and other empires. was I the first to mention a comparison of the roman empire's time of life to another government? You said 

If you considered the actual duration of the Roman empire you’d see it was a relative flash in the pan compared to other civilizations especially African ones.

Did I say anything like that in this comment stream before? 

Now the following was the comment I made that you replied with the above quote with

the founding fathers of the usa , white men, started a global empire that is currently dominating humanity, itself led by white men, that you live in, whose wealth comes entirely from violent acts.

the british empire made english the common language in humanity

short sighted dumb thugs... 

if that is the way you see it, fair enough

I didn't compare empire's times to each other. I made statements opposing the position of yours that short sighted thugs used violence, using the USA, the government you currently live under aside others who use and used violence for everything they have. 

I was countering your position, but then you make a suggestion that didn't relate to anything I said in a reply to me.

I don't comprehend why that keeps happening in this forum.