Buffalo Blizzard Looting Stores

The city of Buffalo got dumped on by 4 feet of snow. Several dozen people have died as a result. 

While the city is still digging out, some folks have used the bilzzard as an opportunity to loot:

https://www.wivb.com/news/crime/four-arraigned-for-alleged-looting-dollar-stores-during-blizzard/

As of one of the volunteers mentioned, the citizens get the short end when selfish people decide to break in stores and steal. 😎

My father grew up on a farm down South and he had an old saying, "If you don't sheer the sheep...the briars are go take the wool anyway".

In other words, if you act stingy and don't give the people what they need or deserve.....they're TAKE IT any damn way, law or no law....lol.

If the city government of Buffalo and the state government of New York and the United States government DID RIGHT by it's citizens, not only wouldn't looting be an issue but this blizzard wouldn't be nearly as bad for Buffalo as it is....because they would have had the infrastructure in place to clear the snow and help the people.

Winter blizzards have been happening EVERY YEAR since we can remember in the past, this is nothing new....so why were the "caught off guard" and left so many people to freeze to death and die in their cars?
Too busy sending money to Ukraine instead of helping it's own citizens.

The United States is such a wealthy nation that every major city should have streets that automatically warm up and melt the snow on the roads and sidewalks.
Germany and Canada has streets like that.....why not the U.S.?

And why didn't the National Guard hit the streets BEFORE the looting started and even before the blizzard came to ensure everyone was properly sheltered, had enough food and water and supplies, and safe?

For the same reasons they didn't do it for Katrina and the dozens of other major disasters that have happened since.

If it wasn't so sad....it would be funny.

The main reason stupid sh8t is allowed to happen in a wealthy country like America is be because everything to include dysfunction fuels capitalism.

Otherwise, I agree that winter weather preparation and clean up could be planned a lot better in order to minimize disruption.

Meteorologist spill the tea a week in advance that 48 inches of snow is coming in on a system. Get the snow plows ready. 

NY state government could have done a better job of helping Buffalo.  Snow removal is a matter of having the right equipment and a deployment and mobilization plan.

The state has resources including equipment, food, water, medical supplies, etc.  

But, they know people are going to do dumb sh8t and some will die during a weather emergency.

Acceptable risk and loss to include human beings. It's sad. That's capitalism. 😎

18 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

if you act stingy and don't give the people what they need or deserve.....they're TAKE IT any damn way, law or no law

That is an interesting interpretation of your dad's allegory.  I think it means that if you are feeling sorry for the sheep by shearing it, not shearing it only means we will not benefit from its wool and the briars are going to take the wool anyway -- so it is better for us to take it rather than for to go to waste in the briar patch.

18 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Winter blizzards have been happening EVERY YEAR since we can remember in the past,

Actually, this was a massive storm even by Buffalo's standards.  Buffalo is well equipped to deal with snow, but this was a massive storm, and if people can't be bothered to stay home when these storms hit. They will get trapped in their cars a die.  The national guard can not protect every store, apprehend very criminal, and ensure that every citizen stays home with sufficient provisions.   

17 hours ago, ProfD said:

The main reason stupid sh8t is allowed to happen in a wealthy country like America is be because everything to include dysfunction fuels capitalism.

Yeah, pretty much, or you can live in China where they can easily force your monkey a-s to stay off the streets. 😉

• Haha 1

Troy

That is an interesting interpretation of your dad's allegory.  I think it means that if you are feeling sorry for the sheep by shearing it, not shearing it only means we will not benefit from its wool and the briars are going to take the wool anyway -- so it is better for us to take it rather than for to go to waste in the briar patch.

Perhaps, I'm not sure if it's about feeling sorry for the sheep or just being plain too lazy to shear them.

I took it to mean someone too stingy to share what's valuable.

It's funny that as many times as he's said it....even in my adulthood...I didn't have the thought to sit down and really ask him EXACTLY what that old saying meant....lol

Actually, this was a massive storm even by Buffalo's standards.  Buffalo is well equipped to deal with snow, but this was a massive storm, and if people can't be bothered to stay home when these storms hit. They will get trapped in their cars a die.  The national guard can not protect every store, apprehend very criminal, and ensure that every citizen stays home with sufficient provisions.   

I think you're letting them of the hook too easy.

They were talking about this storm for a full week before it hit.
And JUST had one almost as bad a few weeks before and had to move a football game to Detroit it was so bad.
So it's not like they were caught "off guard".

No, this is poor planning and lack of concern for the citizens of Buffalo and the United States in general.

Like I said, why didn't they have a contingency plan already in place BEFORE the snow fell?
Mass evacuation trains?
Subways?
National Guard units with medical supplies on every other intersection?
Heated streets and sidewalks to immediately melt the snow?

Is what I just listed IMPOSSIBLE for the United States to manage or would it have COSTED to much to implement and would have cut into their "foreign give away" money???

I know you live in the Midwest, but it does not sound like you have any experience with several feet of snow falling in a short period of time. That much Snow can easily cripple a city.  

as far as heated sidewalks and/or streets I’m just not sure how practical it would be to retrofit existing side walks or how difficult a problem it was be from an engineering perspective.

I can’t even image how much additional load it would put on a power grid at a time when energy is at our greatest demand. 

it does not seem practical, municipalities would be better off proving more affordable housing for their citizens.

• Haha 1

Troy

You're letting the politicians and legislators off the hook a little too easy.

Like I implied before, if Germany and Canada can do it....the U.S. can do it too.

The U.S. Army Corps Of Engineers can go into the middle of the desert over in Iraq or Afghanistan and build an entire modern CITY from the ground up complete with plumbing, fresh water, fiber optics, etc.......so heated sidewalks in an already established structure shouldn't be too much of an engineering feat to manage.

Save some of the money we're giving to Ukraine and elsewhere and invest that money back into our infrastructure.

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Save some of the money we're giving to Ukraine and elsewhere and invest that money back into our infrastructure

We shouldn't be giving them any money to fight a war they have no chance of winning. 

Oh...that's right..the US by proxy got them into that mess. 🤣😎

• Haha 1