Meta will be a success.

Any form of escapism works. Human beings get along with each other up to a point before they need a time out. 😁

When it comes to technology, I'm slightly curious to know how anti-social and insular human beings will become before the realize the species is not designed to be alone and need physical interaction.😎

11 hours ago, Delano said:

Quite a lot of money and time is spent leaving reality: alcohol; drugs; movies; tv and gambling. 

Yes, and too much of this is so damaging to a person, but wealthy people benefit. 

So, for the few minorities that benefit, it is a success for them. 

10 hours ago, ProfD said:

Any form of escapism works. Human beings get along with each other up to a point before they need a time out. 😁

I agree, but also, there needs to be a balance of both. 

Staying too oneself, being alone and indulging in imagination too long can be detrimental. And then, being a social person to the extreme seems like a sign of insecurity. 

• Like 2

Define “success” in this context @Delano does  it mean even more riches for Mark Z, does it mean it will benefit society, or something else?

i think there is a point where people will start to push back on computer interaction. In much the same way ebooks rose in popularity then plateaued.

The metaverse will have some societal benefit but will not get as widely adopted as Facebook itself.

If Facebook manages to secure a monopoly on the metaverse. Mark will get richer and society as a whole, net-net will be harmed.

Bottom line is that people should learn to be good company for themselves. Then they can alternate between the stimulation of escapism and the tranquility of solitude.   Easy for an old relic like me to  say, because I didn't spend  my formative years plugged into the outlet of an electronic social life.  But to younger people  this dynamic has  become a way of life and Meta will be FaceBook on Steroids  = which translates into "success".

54 minutes ago, Cynique said:

Bottom line is that people should learn to be good company for themselves. Then they can alternate between the stimulation of escapism and the tranquility of solitude. 

Agreed. 

The best companion is someone who is already self-sufficient on a mental, physical and spiritual level. 

People who are needy on any one of the those levels tend to be a drag and not very good company. Of course, toxic relationships make it work.

Otherwise, positive interaction among human beings requires a healthy balance.  It starts with being able to keep your gotd8mn self occupied and entertained.😁😎

On 1/10/2023 at 2:56 AM, Delano said:

How social is a person watching a tik tok video?

On 1/10/2023 at 1:48 PM, Cynique said:

But to younger people  this dynamic has  become a way of life and Meta will be FaceBook on Steroids  = which translates into "success".

Yes, young people of this generation seem to be obssessed with Tik Tok. If you could hear some of the young kids speak about it in school. 

It seems like a losing battle for parents who even attempt to regulate the amount of time their children are on their smart phones and etc.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chevdove said:

It seems like a losing battle for parents who even attempt to regulate the amount of time their children are on their smart phones and etc.

Parents buy the smartphone. They should be able to regulate it.🤔

IMO, the real problem is parents who allow technology to keep their children occupied instead of putting them in activities and enrichment programs to socialize them.  

*When I was a kid*😁, there was no sitting in the house and/or staring at a TV or playing video games for a countless number of hours.  Young people were expected to go outside and play or talk to their friends i.e. socialize.  We had to read books or play board games if we were stuck in the house .  TV was a luxury.

Regardless of how time and technology changes, human beings will always require social skills.  it makes them better people.😎

• Thanks 1

What parent has stopped their kid from smoking drinking or sexual activity.

Untied States values sociopathic behaviour in CEOs. If you make money how you do it is justified or rationalised . The successful gangster is lived by the community if they give away free turkeys on Thanksgiving or pay for fireworks on July 4th

2 hours ago, Delano said:

Untied States values sociopathic behaviour in CEOs. If you make money how you do it is justified or rationalised . The successful gangster is lived by the community if they give away free turkeys on Thanksgiving or pay for fireworks on July 4th

There's a certain fascination with and thrill some human beings get out of negative behavior. That *successful gangster* is the personification of Robin Hood.😎

On 1/10/2023 at 1:43 AM, Chevdove said:

Yes, and too much of this is so damaging to a person, but wealthy people benefit. 

If only they knew how to MEDITATE properly.....they could easily leave this Reality without the assistance of drugs, alcohol, or television!