Birth of the Cool: How Jazz Great Miles Davis Found His Sound
by Kathleen Cornell Berman, Illustrated by Keith Henry Brown
Publication Date: Apr 16, 2019
List Price: $17.99
Format: Hardcover, 40 pages
Target Age Group: Early Reader
Imprint: Page Street Kids
Publisher: Page Street Publishing
Parent Company: Page Street Publishing Co.
Borrow from Library
Miles can’t sleep.
Taps his toes,
snaps his fingers,
can’t stop thinking of ways
to make music his own.
As a young musician, Miles Davis heard music everywhere. This biography explores the childhood and early career of a jazz legend as he finds his voice and shapes a new musical sound. Follow his progression from East St. Louis to rural Arkansas, from Julliard and NYC jazz clubs to the prestigious Newport Jazz Festival. Rhythmic free verse imbues his story with musicality and gets readers in the groove. Music teachers and jazz fans will appreciate the beats and details throughout, and Miles’ drive to constantly listen, learn, and create will inspire kids to develop their own voice.
With evocative illustrations, this glimpse into Miles Davis’ life is sure to captivate music lovers young and old.
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Biography & Autobiography / Cultural Heritage
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Biography & Autobiography / Music
- Juvenile Nonfiction / History / United States / 20Th Century
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Music / History
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Music / Jazz
- Juvenile Nonfiction / People & Places / United States / African American