AALBC.com’s Most Frequently Asked Questions
A link to search engine (shown in the image) may be found on every AALBC.com web page. If you are looking for information on a specific author, book, genre, or subject, simply enter the information into the search engine and you’ll likely discover a wealth of information.
To find a book on a specific subject use our Search for Book by Category page. There you can find books in over 1,500 different categories.
Hopefully, you’ll find what you are looking for here. If not, please email us.
- How do I join AALBC.com?
The the word “Club” in our name implies some form of membership. However, we don’t require membership — even to participate in our on-line book club.
We encourage to enjoy our content, let others know about anything your enjoyed or found useful. You may use the social media icons, provided on most pages, for this purpose, or simply tell others. Please share your ideas in the comments section on most pages and on our popular discussion boards.
- How do I submit my book for review?
The process simple. Please read our book review guidelines.
- What are your bookstore’s policies?
AALBC sells books both online and during select events. We ship orders over $75 for free and do not collect sales tax (except for the sate of Florida). All orders over $20 are shipped UPS 3 Day. Read our bookstore’s policy and procedures.
- How do I contact ______________?
If the author’s contact information is not provided, or is incorrect, please do not contact AALBC.com to request this information. You can often reach an author through their publisher or via the author’s official web site.
- I want to write a book what should I do?
This is very broad question and there is really no simple answer that would apply to all individuals. While AALBC.com provides a host of resources for writers, at all stages of their careers, including manuscript editing, book printing, and consulting; our primary strength is helping authors promote their finished book to our on-line audience.
Anyone who is interesting in writing a book should do two things; (1) Study the craft of writing. There are many courses and workshops you can take to help you do this; (2) Aspiring authors should learn the publishing business. Whether you are looking for a deal from a publisher, or interested in self-publishing, you will benefit a great by understanding the book business.
Zane, an popular author nd publisher shared her insight on this very question on our discussion boards back in 2008: Read what she had to say.
- I just finished my manuscript what should I do next?
If you want it published through traditional means, you should find a good agent. If you want to publish your own book, you may find useful resources in our Writers Resources section.
- Can you recommend an Agent, Publicist,
Editor, Ghost Writer,
For editorial services please visit AALBC’s Edit 1st.com. Edit 1st provides a full suite of manuscript editing services.
- How do I get my book on AALBC.com?
Here are nine ways:
- Discuss your book on our Black literature discussion forum
- Sell enough copies to make our bestsellers list
- Commission an AALBC.com Review
- Purchase an AALBC.com Author’s Profile
- Contribute or pitch an article, or other form of exclusive content, to the web site. If we publish it, we’ll create an author profile for you for free.
- Launch an AALBC.com ad campaign. Campaigns start for as low as $99 per month and can include placing your book, ad banner or video on virtually every single AALBC.com web page. We can even customize a campaign specifically for your needs. Visit our advertising section to learn more.
- Share something on Black literature discussion forum that you have done which is noteworthy and we may mention your accomplishment in our monthly eNewsletter.
- Do something to support AALBC.com. It is so much easier to support authors and publishers who also support AALBC. If you are author profiled on our site, or a publisher with books on the site and have not provided a link to AALBC from your website, what are you waiting for?
- AALBC.com is also open to barter. Drop us an email and tell us about any ideas you might have.
- How do I learn more about AALBC.com?
Please visit our About Us page.
- Can add a Link to AALBC.com on my website, blog or social
Absolutely! Please, by all means, link out our site. Visit this page for some banners you can use to link to our web site.
- What is the best way to contact someone at AALBC.com?
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (please be descriptive in your subject line), or call our office 347-692-2522 (347-69-AALBC). We prefer email communication. You can also reach us on our discussion forum (I read everything posted there).
- I emailed you but no one got back to me. Why not?
Your email may have been:
- Trapped by our spam filter
- Overlooked (writing something nebulous in the subject line or worst — leaving it blank; will virtually guarantee your email will be overlooked.)
- Lost in transit and simply not received by us (your email program typically notifies you if this happens)
- Your message did not warrant a response (ex. You did not ask a question)
- Whatever the reason may be, if we have not responded to your email in 2 or 3 days, please resend the email or follow up with a phone call to (347-692-2522).
- Active clients customers should expect a reply within
- Can you tell me how to publish my book?
While we provide editing (Edit 1st), book printing (AALBC Prints Books), domain hosting (Domains for Authors) and a variety of other services and information to writers, we do not offer formal consulting in services this area.
- How do I get my book added to your club’s reading list?
Books for the The Coffee Will Make you Black, On-line Book Club are selected by the club’s moderator, Tony Lindsay. While there is no formal submission process you can always make us aware of your book by sharing information about it on our Black literature discussion forum
- Can AALBC.com help me establish my web presence or increase my
Yes. AALBC.com’s founder and webmaster Troy Johnson provides One-On-One Internet Consulting to help individuals and small business create low cost websites, which they can maintain and increase traffic through search engine optimzation. Click here for more information.
- Can AALBC.com make my book available for sale?
Definitely. Please read How do I get my book on AALBC.com? (above)
- How do I learn more about AALBC.com’s founder and president Troy
Please visit Troy’s Biography and Troy’s Appearances Page
- Why does AALBC.com boycott Amazon?
There are a variety of reasons AALBC no longer supports Amazon. We have written extensively about this over the years. The bottom line is, Amazon has used its market dominance to decimate the Black book ecosystem.
AALBC no longer;
- Sells Amazon exclusive products including books, Audible audiobooks, or Kindle eBooks;
- Accepts advertising which directs readers to Amazon’s website; or
- Allows hyperlinks to Amazon or its websites (including Goodreads and Audible)
While some publishers and authors hype Amazon, our readers have made it clear that they support our boycott of Amazon buy purchasing more books from us after we began our boycott back in 2019.
- Why does AALBC.com boycott Bookshop.org?
We will publish more detailed information on how Bookshop.org is actually exploiting indie booksellers rather than helping us. Reading Publishers Weekly article, “ABA Relationship with Bookshop Draws Booksellers’ Scrutiny” will being to give you some insight.
- Is Thumper really Troy Johnson?
No. This was a very common question a during the early years of the website and is more like an obscure inside joke today.