How to Get Your Book Reviewed by AALBC.com
- Be written in English.
- Not require highly technical or specialized knowledge.
- Be a bound, finished book or galley (or ebook)
- Have an ISBN
All AALBC.com commissioned reviews benefit from the following:
- Reviews are permanently published on the AALBC.com website (see list of reviewed books)
- Reviews are linked on the AALBC.com homepage for at least a month
- Reviews are highlighted in our monthly newsletter (see current newsletter) which reaches more than 15,000 subscribers
- Reviews, at AALBC.com’s discretion, are considered for inclusion on our social media platforms including; Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. We love to share the news about book that received favorable reviews.
An AALBC.com review is one of the best ways to inform the online, book-loving, community about your book.
There are two ways your book may be reviewed by AALBC.com:
Whether you submit your book for review consideration or take advantage of our commissioned book review, you can expect the same quality book review.
Commissioned Book Review ($399.00 fee) (completed in 6 weeks or less)
All authors whose books are reviewed will be provided with a complimentary AALBC.com Author’s Profile. To have your book reviewed by AALBC.com please follow the two steps below:
1 – Submit Payment
Alternatively, you may mail a money order or certified check, for $399, payable to AALBC.com (email us for the mailing address).
2 – Submit Book Information
- The best way to supply the book information is to complete our book form
- Please submit the author’s biographical information for the Author Profile by using our Author Information form.
- If your book is available for purchase online, we will purchase the book and ship it directly to the reviewer.
- If your book has not been published or is unavailable for sale for any other reason, you’ll need to mail it to AALBC.com. The mailing instructions will be provided after payment.
- Some of our reviewers prefer to review eBooks, please let us know if an ebook version of your book is available via Netgalley.com or another service.
Submitted for Review Consideration (no fee) (review is not guaranteed)
In addition to the guidelines mentioned above, you should consider the following when submitting your book for review consideration:
- If your book is chosen to be reviewed you will receive a complimentary AALBC.com Author’s Profile
- We review self-published books
- Preference is given to books prior to release date or no more than 1-year past publication date
- Share your book´s information as described below
- Please do not mail books to us unless we request that you do so.
- If we request your book, it is very likely we will review it. However, we will not guarantee it will be reviewed.
- There is no deadline for the publication of your review. We will, however, try to adhere to our regular 2 to 3 mnonth time frame.
To Have Your Book Considered for Review:
Please share information about your book on our African American Literature Discussion Forum. Please include your name, the author´s name, the book´s title, ISBN13, publication date, book cover image, and synopsis. Also, state that you are interested in a book review. This is the fastest way to notify us about your desire for a review and has the added benefit of informing our readers about your book.
If a decision is made to review the book, we will follow up on the forum with instructions. Keep in mind we receive many requests for book reviews, and can only accommodate a small percentage of requests. We are no longer accepting requests, for book reviews, via email.
What You Can Expect From an AALBC.com Book Review
AALBC.com does not guarantee a favorable review
We hope our reviewer will love your book; however. there is no guarantee. You are guaranteed an unbiased and honest review of your book, written in a style that readers have come to expect from the particular reviewer.
How long does it take for a book review to be published on AALBC.com?
Your book review will be published on AALBC.com in 2 to 3 months from the date payment was made.
How long does the book review remain on the AALBC.com website?
Book reviews will remain on the website for the life of AALBC.com or until you choose to have the book review removed.
AALBC.com reserves the right to decline to review any book submitted for review.
There are not many reasons for declining to review a book. If the book review is declined, and it is a commissioned review, both the payment and book will be returned.
The book will be reviewed by one of the AALBC.com Reviewers
Visit http://reviews.aalbc.com/aalbc1.htm for a current list of reviews. Publishers and authors may suggest, but can not choose, which AALBC.com reviewer will review their book.
AALBC.com reviewers will read the entire book (probably more than once).
AALBC.com reviews will have the following characteristics:
500 words minimum length
A critical analysis not just a description of the book
The degree to which the reviewer likes or dislikes a book will be stated clearly
Positive and negative points will be highlighted when possible
The AALBC.com reviewer chosen to review the book will not have more than a casual relationship with the book’s author.
The intent here is to avoid any undue appearance bias.
AALBC.com reviews are written with the book-buying public in mind.
AALBC.com reviews are not scholarly dissertations. The reviews are written for the general public.
AALBC.com will not rewrite a review.
We will acknowledge and correct factual errors, but we will not rewrite a published review.
AALBC.com reviewers are under no obligation to respond to feedback from the author regarding a published review.
Remember all reviews are subjective, based solely upon the opinion of an individual reviewer.
AALBC.com reviewers are all well-read, experienced book reviewers, passionate about our literature, and most importantly committed to providing their honest assessment of an author’s work.
If AALBC.com reviews my book unfavorably may I opt-out of having it published on AALBC.com?
Yes. If the book review was commissioned (fee-based), you may opt-out of having your book review published on AALBC.com. You may of course use excerpts from the review as you deem appropriate.
Who owns the AALBC.com Book Review?
AALBC.com retains copyright of all reviews. Purchasers of commissioned book reviews are free to excerpt and republish their book reviews at will and in any format. Credit should be given to AALBC.com, with a link back to AALBC.com when the review is published anywhere other than AALBC.com.
AALBC.com does not return books mailed to us for review
AALBC.com’s Manuscript Editing Service
We will critique your manuscript or completed book for problems in plot, character development, dialogue, pace, and theme.
Get an AALBC.com Author Profile
Even if you have your own website an Author Profile Page is a great idea.
Should a Book Review Be a Fee Based Service (a 2004 article from our discussion forum)
“This product is intended mainly for small publishing houses, which often do not have the marketing heft to attract the attention of reviewers at mainstream publications.”
Other ways to share information about your book on AALBC.com
- Introduce yourself and book on our popular Black literature discussion forum
- Read our Frequently Asked Questions to learn more ways to use our platform to share information about your books.
Other Sources for Book Reviews: Visit https://aalbc.com/booksites/ for a list of potential sources of reviews