AALBC.com’s Most Frequently Asked Questions
Hopefully, you’ll find what you are looking for here. If not, please feel free to email us or call: 347-MY-AALBC (347-692-2622), with any remaining questions you might have. Email communication is preferred.
- How do I join AALBC.com
I know the word “Club” in our name implies some form of membership. However, AALBC.com does not require membership. Even when we ran an a on-line book club, we never required memberships.
The only thing you should do is enjoy our content, let others know about us (use the social media icon at the top of the page) and share your ideas about books and Black culture on our popular discussion boards.
- How do I submit my book for review?
The process simple. Please read our book review guidelines.
- How does AALBC.com Sell Books?
We sell book a variety of ways; (1) Directly: We mail books ourselves or have them drop shipped by Ingram; (2) Affiliate Programs: We sell book through Amazon, B&N, and other affiliate programs; (3) Alliances: We sending visitors to publisher, author and even other bookseller websites; and (4) Libraries: Virtually all of our book have links to check for a books availability at their local library.
The goal is to get books into readers hands and we are happy to provide as many options as possible.
- How do I contact ______________? (fill in the blank)
If the author’s contact information is not provided, or is incorrect, please do not contact AALBC.com to request this information. You can often reach an author through their publisher or via the author’s official web site.
- I want to write a book what should I do?
This is very broad question and there is really no simple answer that would apply to all individuals. While AALBC.com provides a host of resources for writers, at all stages of their careers, including manuscript editing, and consulting; our primary strength is helping authors promote their finished book to our on-line audience.
That said, anyone who is interesting in writing a book should do two things: First, learn and continue to study the craft of writing. There are many courses and workshops you can take to help you do this. Second, aspiring authors should learn the publishing business. Whether you are looking for a deal from a publisher or interested in self-publishing your own work you will benefit a great by understanding the book business.
Zane, an extremely popular author shared her insight on this very question on our discussion boards back in 2004: Click here to read what she had to say.
- I just finished my manuscript what should I do next?
If you want it published through traditional means, you should find a good agent. If you want to publish your own book check out The Self-Publishing Manual by Dan Poynter. You may also find additional resources in our Writers Resources section.
- Can you recommend an Agent, Publicist,
Editor, Ghost Writer,
For editorial services please visit Edit 1st.com. Edit 1st provide a full suite of manuscript editing services. We also provide additional referrals for other professionals in our Writer’s Resources section.
How do I get my book on
There are 9 ways (5 are absolutely *Free!):
- *Talk about your book on our discussion forums
- *Sell enough copies to make our bestsellers list
- Commission an AALBC.com Review (See question #2 above)
- Purchase an AALBC.com Author’s Profile
- *Contribute an article or other form of content to the web site. If we publish it we will definitely mention your book. If we really like it, or you contribute regularly, we’ll create an author profile for you for free.
- Launch an AALBC.com ad campaign. Campaigns start for as little as $79 per month and can include placing your book, ad banner or video on virtually every single AALBC.com web page. We can even customize a campaign specifically for your needs. Visit our advertising section to learn more.
- *Tell us something that you have done which is noteworthy and we may mention you in our monthly eNewsletter.
- *Do something to support AALBC.com. Honestly it is MUCH easier to support someone who is mutually supportive. AALBC.com is also open to barter. Drop us an email and tell us about any ideas you might have.
- Buy an AALBC.com
Mug and send us the photo*
- How do I learn more about AALBC.com?
Please visit our About Us page.
- Can add a Link to AALBC.com on my website, blog or social
Absolutely! Please, by all means, link out our site. Visit this page for some really cool banners you can use to link to our web site.
- What is the best way to contact someone at AALBC.com?
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (please be descriptive in your subject line), or call our ffice 347-692-2522 (347-69-AALBC). You can also reach me on our discussion forum (I read everything posted there).
- I emailed you but no one got back to me. Why not?
Your email may have been:
- Trapped by our spam filter
- Overlooked (writing something nebulous in the subject line or worst — leaving it blank; will virtually guarantee your email will be overlooked.)
- Lost in transit and simply not received by us (your email program typically notifies you if this happens)
- Your message did not warrant a response (ex. You did not ask a question)
- Whatever the reason may be, if we have not responded to your email in 2 or 3 days, please resend the email or follow up with a phone call to (347-692-2522).
- Active clients customers should expect a reply within
- Can you tell me how to publish my book?
Sorry we do not offer consulting in this area. While we provide a wealth of information for both writers and readers we are currently not staffed to provide individuals with detailed assistance on the steps required to get your book published.
- How do I get my book added to your club’s reading list?
Our online book club was active for 9 year. However, as of December 2010, The Coffee Will Make you Black, On-line Book Club is no longer active. Perhaps one day we will resurrect on-line book club (all we really need is a dedicated moderator). If this happens we will consider your book, for inclusion, at that time.
- Can AALBC.com help me establish my web presence or increase my
Yes. AALBC.com’s founder and webmaster Troy Johnson provides One-On-One Internet Consulting to help individuals and small business create low cost websites (that they can maintain), increase traffic and take advantage of social media. The rate is $150 for the first hour and $75 per hour for each subsequent hour. Click here for more information.
- Can AALBC.com make my book available for sale?
Definitely. Please read How do I get my book on AALBC.com? (above)
- How do I learn more about AALBC.com’s founder and president Troy
Please visit Troy’s Biography and Troy'’s Appearances Page
- Is Thumper really Troy Johnson?
No. This was a very common question a during the early years of the website and is more like an obscure inside joke today.
If your question was not answered above, please feel free to email or call: 347-MY-AALBC (email communication is preferred). Thanks again for visiting AALBC.com.
AALBC.com is a massive web site; make sure you take advantage of all of our content by utilizing our site specific Google search engine.
Our customized Google search box (shown by the arrow) can be found on virtually every AALBC.com web page. If you are looking for information on a specific author, book, genre, or any subject, simply enter (or speak) the information into the search engine and you’ll likely discover a wealth of information.