Short stories from Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Somalia, Botswana, and Malawi:
Gambit: Newer African Writing
The only anthology that offers interviews with the writers paired with original short stories. Featuring Ayobami Adebayo (Stay With Me).
Drama from Botswana:
We Are All Blue
A collection of two award-winning plays, representing the first time drama from Botswana has been published. With a foreword by Botswana’s former president.
Fiction from Kenya:
A delicious tale of greed, lust, and betrayal and winner of Kenya’s equivalent of the National Book Award for fiction. (Read the first chapter in its entirety.)
Fiction from Nigeria
The Sound of Things to Come
From one of the continent’s rising stars comes this unconventional novel centered on a church community in Nigeria.
Donald Trump’s description of African countries as “shithole countries” is an outrageous slur. Sadly, the sentiments are not new. Last year Trump wondered when Nigerians would return to their “huts.” (And let’s not even get into the Obama-Kenya-birther issue.) The man is unconscionable.
At The Mantle, we publish emerging voices from around the world, including authors from recently maligned Botswana, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria, Somalia, and Zimbabwe. Publishing is our contribution to the greater fight toward justice and peace. Literature builds empathy, understanding, and curiosity between worlds that may never collide. The more we know “them,” the less inclined we are toward belligerent engagement.
Please consider supporting our authors from Africa by purchasing their books. To make it easy for you, we put them on sale: 33% off when you buy directly from us. Our writers earn 50% royalties. Every dollar helps them write the next great act of literary resistance.
▪ Book sellers can order books through Ingram and SPD.
▪ Our books are temporarily on sale (33% off), when you buy directly from us. Otherwise, you can find our titles online at the usual places.
▪ Ebook versions of all our titles are just $5, when you buy directly from us.
▪ Book clubs: We may be able to arrange for one of the authors to join your meeting in person or via Skype.
▪ Reviewers, journalists, and writers: We can arrange for you to speak with one of our writers or the publisher. We can also send review copies.
▪ Please send all queries to Shaun Randol – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support,
Publisher, The Mantle
#ReadingBlack encourages reading books written by Black writers and purchasing those books from independent booksellers.
#readingblack is not bounded by geography, limited to a nationality, or restricted to a time period. #readingblack absolutely includes literature from what some may consider “shithole countries,” because we know great literature is produced throughout the African continent. The folks at The Mantle are committed to ensuring these voices are heard.
Peace and Love,
Founder & Webmaster,