Clap Your Hands: A Celebration of Gospel
by Toyomi Igus, Illustrated by Michele Wood
Publication Date: Dec 31, 2019
List Price: $16.99
Format: Hardcover, 40 pages
Parent Company: Zonderkidz
Borrow from Library
An inspirational, joyous celebration of poetry, art, and rhythm, tracing the history of African-American gospel music and the poets, singers, and thought leaders who have fearlessly and soulfully contributed to the spiritual and social evolution of America.
Clap Your Hands, created by the dynamic author and illustrator team of Toyomi Igus and Michele Wood, winners of the Coretta Scott King Award for I See the Rhythm, shares the African American history of gospel music that has courageously broken all color barriers, influencing both worship and popular culture in America for hundreds of years.
This spellbinding blend of poetry, art, history, and music also includes a running timeline of all historical milestones—from the first slaves to President Obama’s inauguration. This powerful and poetic read bursts with vibrant artwork and is rich in personal notes and information to further any history buff or music enthusiast. Readers of all ages will be captivated by this informative and inspirational blend of poetry, art, and music that honors gospel music with its proper, influential due as reflected through the journey of African Americans.
Clap Your Hands includes:
- Notes from the author and the illustrator sharing their personal inspirations and influences, as well as their research on the roots and evolution of Gospel music.
- Historical note about the events covered in the book exploring the cultural importance of gospel music throughout history
- Further reading section, discography, and discussion questions to encourage learning and engagement.
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Music / Jazz
- Juvenile Nonfiction / People & Places / United States / African American
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Poetry / General
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Religious / Christian / Social Topics
Tell us what do you think about Clap Your Hands: A Celebration of Gospel.