Stitchin’ and Pullin’: A Gee’s Bend Quilt
by Patricia C. Mckissack, Illustrated by Cozbi A. Cabrera
Publication Date: Oct 04, 2016
List Price: $8.99
Format: Paperback, 48 pages
Imprint: Dragonfly Books
Publisher: Dragonfly Books
Parent Company: Dragonfly Books
Borrow from Library
This collection of poems that tell the story of the quilt-making community in Gee’s Bend, Alabama, is now available as a Dragonfly paperback.
For generations, the women of Gee’s Bend have made quilts to keep a family warm, as a pastime accompanied by sharing and singing, or to memorialize loved ones. Today, the same quilts hang on museum walls as modern masterpieces of color and design. Inspired by these quilts and the women who made them, award-winning author Patricia C. McKissack traveled to Alabama to learn their stories. The lyrical rite-of-passage narrative that is the result of her journey seamlessly weaves together the familial, cultural, spiritual, and historical strands of life in this community.
- Juvenile Fiction / Art & Architecture
- Juvenile Fiction / Family / Multigenerational
- Juvenile Fiction / Girls & Women
- Juvenile Fiction / Historical / United States / General
- Juvenile Fiction / People & Places / United States / African American
- Juvenile Fiction / Social Themes / Prejudice & Racism
Tell us what do you think about Stitchin’ and Pullin’: A Gee’s Bend Quilt.