Midnight Without a Moon
by Linda Williams Jackson
Publication Date: Jan 03, 2017
List Price: $16.99
Format: Hardcover, 320 pages
Target Age Group: Middle Grade
Imprint: HMH Books for Young Readers
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Parent Company: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Washington Post 2017 KidsPost Summer Book Club selection!
It’s Mississippi in the summer of 1955, and Rose Lee Carter can’t wait to move north. But for now, she’s living with her sharecropper grandparents on a white man’s cotton plantation.
Then, one town over, an African American boy, Emmett Till, is killed for allegedly whistling at a white woman. When Till’s murderers are unjustly acquitted, Rose realizes that the South needs a change … and that she should be part of the movement.
Linda Jackson’s moving debut seamlessly blends a fictional portrait of an African American family and factual events from a famous trial that provoked change in race relations in the United States.
- Juvenile Fiction / Family / General
- Juvenile Fiction / Historical / United States / 20Th Century
- Juvenile Fiction / People & Places / United States / African American
- Juvenile Fiction / Social Themes / Friendship
- Juvenile Fiction / Social Themes / Prejudice & Racism