The New Kid: The Carver Chronicles, Book Five
by Karen English, Illustrated by Laura Freeman
Publication Date: Dec 18, 2018
List Price: $6.99
Format: Paperback, 128 pages
Target Age Group: Middle Grade
Imprint: Clarion Books
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Parent Company: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Borrow from Library
Third-grader Gavin and his friends aren’t sure what to make of the new boy in their class, Khufu. He sure doesn’t look or act like the other kids … and they suspect that he stole Gavin’s bike! Meanwhile, Gavin’s great-aunt Myrtle is coming to stay with his family again, and Gavin is sure she’ll be teaming up with his big sister to boss him around the whole time.
Offering spot-on storytelling, relatable characters and situations, and plenty of action, this gently humorous story about a diverse group of elementary-schoolers shows that even someone who seems strange can turn out to be a good friend, if you give them a chance.
- Juvenile Fiction / Humorous Stories
- Juvenile Fiction / People & Places / United States / African American
- Juvenile Fiction / Readers / Chapter Books
- Juvenile Fiction / Social Themes / Bullying
- Juvenile Fiction / Social Themes / Friendship
- Juvenile Fiction / Social Themes / Peer Pressure
Tell us what do you think about The New Kid: The Carver Chronicles, Book Five.