Raising Confident and Empowered Black Kids: A Comprehensive Guide for Badass Black Parenting
by M.J. Fievre
Publication Date: Apr 13, 2021
List Price: $18.95
Format: Paperback, 224 pages
Imprint: Mango Publishing
Publisher: Mango Publishing
Parent Company: Mango Publishing
Borrow from Library
How to Raise Black Kids in a Racist World
Raising Confident and Empowered Black Kids includes everything Black and multi-racial families need to know to raise empowered, confident children. From the realities of living while Black to age-appropriate ways to discuss racism with your children, educator M.J. Fievre provides a much-needed resource for parents of Black kids everywhere.
It’s hard to balance protecting your child’s innocence with preparing them for the realities of Black life. When—and how—do you approach racism with your children? How do you protect their physical and mental health while also preparing them for a country full of systemic racism? On the heels of Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria and "Multiplication Is for White People" comes a parenting book specifically for parents of Black kids.
Now, there’s a guide to help you teach your kids how to thrive—even when it feels like the world is against them. From racial profiling and police encounters to the whitewashed lessons of history taught in schools, raising Black kids is no easy feat. In Raising Confident and Empowered Black Kids, teacher M.J. Fievre passes on the tips and guidance that have helped her educate her Black students, including:
- How to encourage creativity and build self-confidence in your kids
- Ways to engage in activism and help build a safer community with and for your children—and ways to rest when you need to
- How to explain systemic racism, intersectionality, and micro-aggressions
If you found guidance and inspiration from books like The Unapologetic Guide to Black Mental Health, Mother to Son, or Breathe, you’ll love Raising Confident and Empowered Black Kids.
- Education / Student Life & Student Affairs
- Family & Relationships / Parenting / Fatherhood
- Family & Relationships / Parenting / Motherhood
- Social Science / Discrimination & Race Relations
- Social Science / Ethnic Studies / African American Studies