1 Books Published by Downtown Bookworks on AALBC — Book Cover Collage
Downtown Bookworks (Jan 28, 2020)
Read Detailed Book Description
A Black Woman Did That! spotlights vibrant, inspiring black women whose accomplishments have changed the world for the better.
A Black Woman Did That! is a celebration of strong, resilient, innovative, and inspiring women of color. With a vibrant mixture of photography, illustration, biography, and storytelling, author Malaika Adero will spotlight well-known historical figures and women who are pushing boundaries today — including Ida B. Wells, Madam CJ Walker, Shirley Chisholm, Serena Williams, Mae Jemison, Stacey Abrams, Jesmyn Ward, Ava DuVernay, and Amy Sherald.
Readers will recognize some names in the book, but will also be introduced to many important black women who have changed history or who are reshaping the cultural landscape. They’ll learn:
- how Barbara Harris became the first female bishop of the Episcopal Church
- how Misty Copeland became the first black principal dancer of the American Ballet Theater
- how the work and inventions of Dr. Patricia Bath have saved or restored the eyesight of people around the world
- how Shirley Chisholm changed the face of politics in America
- how Glory Edim has turned her passion for reading into a thriving online community that showcases black women in literature
- how Cathy Hughes founded Radio One (now Urban One) and became the first African-American woman to head a publicly traded company
Entries on each woman or group will highlight their accomplishments, their world-changing words, and the ways in which their lives and actions have made the world a better pla
The book will also include a robust resource list of books, audio and visual recordings, and links, inviting readers, parents, and teachers to learn even more about the amazing black women featured in the book.