Q & A WITH HICKSON: CEO OF GHETTOHEAT® AND DC BOOKDIVA

Q & A WITH HICKSON: CEO OF GHETTOHEAT® AND DC BOOKDIVA, July 2006

I sat down with HICKSON, CEO of GHETTOHEAT® to discuss the book CONVICT’S CANDY, and to get the 411 on his next projects!

DC BOOKDIVA: HICKSON, you are the publisher of the newly released book, CONVICT’S CANDY, can you tell our readers a little about GHETTOHEAT® and the book?

HICKSON: GHETTOHEAT® is my publishing company which I started on June 4th, 2003. It wasn’t my original plan to pursue, since I was working in the fashion industry at the time. I was working as NAOMI CAMPBELL’s personal wardrobe coordinator for five years, before working as a production coordinator for all of the big designers worldwide, before quitting the business the day before the 9/11 tragedy. It was then where I began writing as a form of expression and escapism. I was dealing with a lot at that time, in which the writing process was therapeutic for me. CONVICT’S CANDY is written by my two artists, DAMON “AMIN” MEADOWS and JASON POOLE. The two contacted me in April 2005, telling me about the book. I was really impressed with DAMON “AMIN” MEADOWS and JASON POOLE for wanting to write a book from federal prison that deals with HIV/AIDS awareness, as well as what really goes on behind the prison walls. I feel the two are doing a great justice for the urban community, especially to those who are still ignorant to the fact of transmissions of the deadly virus.

DC BOOKDIVA: How did you come up with the title, or did the writers come up with it?

HICKSON: “AMIN” came up with the title, CONVICT’S CANDY. “Candy” is the name of the pre-op transsexual in the story, one who gets arrested one week before the scheduled sex change operation. Without giving too much of the story, “Candy” looks exactly like a woman, being forced to be housed with male inmates within the facility. That alone should tell you what was going on in the prison. Keep in mind this is a true story. Things were changed around to protect the guilty parties.

DC BOOKDIVA: What other works has your company published or is looking to publish?

HICKSON: The first book that I published was my own, titled after my company, GHETTOHEAT®. It’s a collection of hardcore poetry that deals with many social issues within the inner city. The beauty about the book is that it’s sequential, so it actually seems though you’re reading a novel, with characters that meet up from time-to-time. I’m finishing up the last few touches on my first novel, SKATE ON!. The story takes place in Harlem in the 80s, based on three teenaged girls from the Polo Grounds Projects, learning life on the gritty streets, all while venturing to the most notorious roller-skating rink in the world—The Rooftop! SKATE ON! takes you back in time to a place when life was less chaotic. HARDER, written by SHA is being released this fall. The story is based on a young teenage girl named Kai from South Side, Jamaica, Queens, with ambitions of taking over the entire New York City drug trade on her own. The story is going to get the attention of a lot of people, as it deals with Kai growing up, and her struggle to survive against all odds. Soon after, SONZ OF DARKNESS, written by DRU NOBLE will be released. It’s an urban sci-fi tale about two brothers who were separated early on as children, but brought back together by conflict. The story is well written, and most refreshing, not your typical “ghetto” story.

DC BOOKDIVA: What are your future plans for GHETTOHEAT®?

HICKSON: To do everything in a major way. Stay tuned!

DC BOOKDIVA: What books are you currently reading and what authors do you admire?

HICKSON: Truthfully, I haven’t had time to read any new books, due to the fact that I’m constantly reading manuscripts. Authors that I admire—my own! (Smile). Log on to GHETTOHEAT.COM and check them out.

DC BOOKDIVA: Tell me a little about HICKSON, and the things that interest you.

HICKSON: HICKSON is a man who lives with integrity, marches to the beat of his own drum, one who is here to make a difference in life—with hopes that his legacy passes on.

DC BOOKDIVA: Well, thank you, HICKSON, I appreciate your time, and will be looking out for more from you.

HICKSON: Thank you.

For information on DC BOOKDIVA, log on to DCBOOKDIVA.COM

HICKSON: CEO of GHETTOHEAT®

Publisher of GHETTOHEAT®, CONVICT’S CANDY, HARDER, AND GOD CREATED WOMAN, LONDON REIGN, SONZ OF DARKNESS, TANTRUM, GHOST TOWN HUSTLERS, LOVE DON'T LOVE NOBODY, DIRRRTY, TATTOOED TEARS, UGLY/BEAUTIFUL: ME, CLUB AVENUE, SKATE ON!, THICKNESS, SOME SEXY, & TOUGH.

GHETTOHEAT® | P.O. BOX 2746 | NEW YORK, NY 10027 | GHETTOHEAT.COM

GHETTOHEAT®: THE HOTNESS IN THE STREETS!!!

post-162-0-49548000-1320251746_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...