GHETTOHEAT.COM: JAN '10 - APR '10 PREVIEW

GHETTOHEAT®

JAN ‘10 – APR ‘10 PREVIEW

“OH…YEAH, GIRL…

SAID A SMALL BOY ONCE ASKED, WHEN WILL I GROW UP?

WHEN WILL I SEE WHAT, GROWNUPS DO SEE?

…IN HIS FIGHT TO COME OF AGE, HE WOULD HAVE TO KNOW THE AGE

TO BE RECOGNIZED IS WHEN I’M NOT UNMASKED

AND MAMA USED TO SAY: TAKE YOUR TIME, YOUNG MAN

MAMA USED TO SAY: DON'T YOU RUSH TO GET OLD

MAMA USED TO SAY: TAKE IT IN YOUR STRIDE

MAMA USED TO SAY: LIVE YOUR LIFE…

AS THE YEARS WENT RUSHIN’ BY, HE WOULD CUT DOWN ON HIS AGE

HE WOULD TELL HIS GIRL OF HOW IT USED TO BE…

HOW HIS MOMMY PASSED AWAY, BUT THESE LINES SHE WOULD SAY

AND AT THE TIME HE COULDN'T UN-DER-STAND

MAMA USED TO SAY: TAKE YOUR TIME, YOUNG MAN

MAMA USED TO SAY: LIVE YOUR LIFE…

…YOU’RE YOUNG, SO YOUNG, DON'T HOLD ON BACK

DO ALL YOU WANT TO DO…

NOW IS THE TIME, FOR YOU TO STRIDE

FOR YOU TO GET BETTER. IN WHAT YOU ARE DOIN’…OH!

…NOW IS THE TIME, FOR YOU TO STRIDE

FOR YOU TO GET BETTER, IN WHAT YOU ARE DOIN’…OH!

…A SMALL BOY ONCE ASKED, WHEN WILL I GROW UP?

WHEN WILL I SEE WHAT, GROWNUPS DO SEE?

…IN HIS FIGHT TO COME OF AGE, HE WOULD HAVE TO KNOW THE AGE

TO BE RECOGNIZED IS WHEN I’M NOT UNMASKED…

…AND MAMA USED TO SAY: TAKE YOUR TIME, YOUNG MAN

MAMA USED TO SAY: LIVE YOUR LIFE…LIVE YOUR LIFE…LIVE YOUR LIFE—OH!

HEY, MAMA USED TO SAY: TAKE YOUR TIME, YOUNG MAN

MAMA…USED…TO…SAY: HEY, HEY…HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY!

…OH…OH…MAMA USED TO SAY: OH!

…MAMA USED TO SAY: OH!

…MAMA USED TO SAY”

—JUNIOR, MAMA USED TO SAY

HICKSON: BORN FEBRUARY 4, 1970

GHETTOHEAT®: BORN JUNE 4, 2003

*HICKSON rambunctiously removes “wretched weeds” from his beautiful rose garden outside the House of GHETTOHEAT®.*

I remember the first time I’d fired off a gun (.44 Magnum). I’d just turned eighteen in ‘88, and my father had taken me to his favorite shooting range, he being a huge collector and lover of firearms. My pops frequented this spot on Saturdays, shooting off rounds as a hobby, and wanted me to go with him on this particular day; my father’s way of wanting us to bond. I had absolutely no interest of going there! My favorite sport back then was “getting fly” and doing Saturday shopping at Bloomingdales, my store of choice in the mid 80’s. I was great at my hobby and did it well, spending $500 easily on an outfit or two at full retail price (it was the 80’s, I was young, I worked and had excellent financial support—money flowed freely like roaring rivers back then!). Yet, I s-t-r-o-l-l-e-d along with dad to the range, knowing that me going would really make him happy. *Eyes towards the sky, shaking my head quickly* :0|

When we arrived, he’d shown me the different components of his pistol, how to load/unload the chambers with bullets, and how to hold the gun carefully. Although extremely bored, I’d paid close attention to my pops’ demonstration before sliding a headset over my big ears to muffle the blast, and aiming at my target…. BOOMP!!! After I shot it, my father slowly retrieved the pistol from me before brow-beating intensely. Confused by his gesture, I’d asked, “What’s wrong?” “Who’s gun you been shooting?” pops snapped. Surprised by his question, I’d replied, “Huh? I never fired a gun before.” My father followed curiously with, “Well, how did you manage to shoot the target so easily between the eyes?” I’d shrugged my shoulders, “I just focused and took my time.” Piercing eyes intensely tore into me—pops hadn’t believed me. I knew I should’ve just gone shopping for that off-white Willi Wear 3-piece fleece set instead!

The point I’m making is, if you’re inexperienced in something, all you have to do is focus, take time with preparation before execution, and accomplish the goal. I’ve been doing so in many aspects of life for years. In publishing, I’d learned early on by trial and error, quickly jumping in headfirst in 2003, yet gained greatly when taking time applying the 5 P’s concept: proper preparation prevents poor performance. Each time I rushed things I’d made minor mistakes, ones that could’ve easily been avoided, hadn’t I been so eager. Nowadays, I don’t rush any processes (especially editing my authors’ works), or am I gung ho to quickly seal deals, especially during these trying times of the recession. One false move and you can drastically lose it all in an instant: here today, gone today! Many companies globally are seriously struggling or have folded, forcing me to take heed, regroup and be wiser about all decisions. Times are crucial now and I’m not losing GHETTOHEAT® for any reason, whatsover. I’ve worked very hard since 2003 and have come too far to ruin my business because of others being eager and anxious. Many writers often try to rush me into signing them and publishing their work quickly, due to pressing financial situations, personal hardships, or worse: them racing against the clock. Yet, since when did writers’ personal issues created before encountering me, become my own? They’re not, and can’t ever be. I’m in a serious zone right now, totally focused, people—focus now being on “house inspection”; taking my time while examining all thoroughly. There’s definitely no need for me to rush: I’m not running out of time. Actually, my 7-year anniversary is approaching, yet I’ve just begun. Stay tuned….

Hey, Worldwide! Happy 2010! How are you all doing across the globe? I hope that you’re feeling great and at a peaceful state of mind. Myself, I’ve been keeping cool, putting all in proper perspective while on my spritual journey. Much has occurred personally and professionally, and it’s best to relax now—the calm before the storm (GHETTOHEAT® is risin’!). Yet, I’m at a great place in life spiritually and have tons to discuss with you, in addition to me highlighting “events” since 2003 in upcoming newletters (newletters are evolving), yet we’ll cover everything in time. Right now, I want to give a special shout out to my “Connect”: my beautiful diamonds and pearls within the correctional facilities nationwide who contact me regularly! Thank you all for the wonderful holiday cards you sent me, which were many! They’re lovely: I placed 20 each per window throughout my entire place. I noticed some were even handmade with fancy elaborate decorations. Thanks again, “Connect”! You’re my biggest supporters! LOVE YOU ALL! :0) Continue following and supporting GHETTOHEAT®! I’ll write you all back soon, but please, don’t send multiple letters before I contact you. Save the trees!

As for the creative submissions, I’ve asked many of you who’ve mailed me, time-after-time, not to rush the writing process of your projects, and to take time on completing them. I’ve received many mediocre manuscripts as of late (truly disappointed), ones clearly composed quickly. People, I’m the hardest independent publisher to please…having the most critical analytical review process. Knowing this, you should never chance being easily rejected for sending your first draft to GHETTOHEAT®. This is happening often, writers forwarding me their first attempts, believing that the material is “mind-blowing”. Big mistake! The art of writing is re-writing, and honestly, should be re-written multiple times. The works should be well-executed, highly impressive and created as if your life depends upon them! Writers, p-l-e-a-s-e stop being so eager to be published, to become famous overnight, or overzealous to get rich fast. For those reasons alone, you shouldn’t submit material to GHETTOHEAT®. That’s not why I sign talent. I specifically seek wonderful writers who actually love creating fascinating works of various genres, professionally (not as a hobby). It’s utterly refreshing when receiving material that ultimately leaves me in awe, being totally engrossed in the works and not wanting them to end! Those are hits, projects I definitely desire—some recently acquired and signed to GHETTOHEAT®, and I’m very excited! It’s also thrilling when I find smart writers who fully identify with GHETTOHEAT® and its philosophies, being passionate, responsible, career-oriented, driven and devoted authors who are not only loyal to me, the company, its movement and supporters, yet here to make a real difference in life through writing. That’s what I absolutely love, respect, admire, favor and invest in. Anything less is not for me or GHETTOHEAT®.

“Connect”, unfortunately several of you send projects and contact me by mail for the wrong reason, also: to finance legal expenditures toward your cases—some even offering to sell manuscripts at flat rates. That’s not how I conduct business, people. I offer contractual agreements and pay royalties. Although fully understanding your issues, writers should never outright sell their projects to publishers, unless fully planning to ghostwrite. Even that becomes a sticky situation, as you may feel that you haven’t been compensated properly (or ego later allows needing recognition), after the success of the book you’ve written. Some of you have offerred me manuscripts for as low as $300. So what happens when it fully becomes successful and I net $3,000,000 later, then what? Folks, the industry has already experienced such devasting travesty in 2007…I’m definitely not willing to repeat history. Please take heed. I’ve also suggested that you all learn as much of the industry as possible before venturing, as business is the most important aspect of publishing, moreso than the creative aspect. Some writers conjure up fantasies, believing that they can just create a great book and it will easily fly off the shelves. Are you serious? It takes much more than that! Even the greatest of writers need a plan before the book is published—so what’s yours? Whatever it is, it shouldn’t start with contacting me, have one mapped out prior, even if I change it. Do your research! How do you expect to win inside the arena if you don’t understand “the game” or how it’s played? Again, GHETTOHEAT® has no interest in signing ghostwriters, free agents, or other writers who aren’t serious about producing great quality works within one publishing house. There are many other publishers who are willing and more than happy to deal with writers as such. I wish you well with your search for publication—please continue following and supporting THE GHETTOHEAT® MOVEMENT! Peace!

Everyone, there’s been a lot of transitioning going on within the industry, including store closures. On January 16, 2010, all B. Dalton stores will close and be replaced by Barnes & Noble, and all of their smaller shops within the malls will phase out, leaving only free-standing Barnes & Noble stores remaining. Yet, most of their super stores hold events mainly for celebrities/high-profile artists and well-known authors signed at major publishing houses, not independents such as myself. Also, 200 Borders Express shops and 60% of Waldenbooks stores will close, leaving fewer Waldenbooks and smaller Borders stores operating in select mall locations, but larger Borders stores will remain, unfortunately sharing the same philosophy as Barnes & Nobles in regards to events. So more challenges to deal with, people, in addition to what I’ve already endured prior (you’ve all read in my newsletters) and dealing with presently. But, I’m a very powerful person full of strength, ambition, tenacity and determination, so never worry, beloved. I’ve learned over the years how to make the most sweetest lemonade out of sour lemons. Sadly, these large corporations have been knocking most independent book stores and mom-and-pop shops nationwide, out of their game since 2005, and recent recession makes matters worse for many.

September 12, 2003 was when I first introduced my poetry book, GHETTOHEAT® (re-released soon). I vigorously toured up- and-down I-95 to many cities and states, from New York City down to North Carolina, promoting and selling copies at various independent book stores, music and specialty shops, as well with street vendors; doing local events in New York City on weekdays before venturing on the road every weekend. I favored this for a few reasons: as a brand-new artist having a limited budget and no mainstream distribution back then, it allowed me to travel and do business with others who were indigenous to me—connecting with other independents who owned stores (paying me immediately after each book signing). Some were very friendly and inviting, others apprehensive and pessimistic of me coming to do signings with a poetry book (poetry being the least-selling product among books), yet when they met me in person, felt my energy, saw my professional salesmanship and how I quickly sold my book, dispositons changed. The word quickly spread about my work ethic to others within the industry, and when I’d call other stores to book signings, before I could fully introduce myself to new store owners and managers, they would say, “Oh, we’ve heard about you and how you quickly move books. What day you would you like to sign on?” From there, I began to readily ride the wave: passionately and aggressively!

Also grateful to have local distributors who sold my books to these same independent stores and shops, I was very fortunate in 2004 to land mainstream distribution, enabling me to sell and do book signings with GHETTOHEAT® at chain stores nationwide—starting with Borders Express in Philadelphia’s Gallery Mall (so much love received there!). I took full advantage of doing signings at chain stores (still do), adding Waldenbooks and Barnes & Noble immediately to the list. By 2005 though, I personally began witnessing some independent bookstores and mom-and-pop shops struggling, due to the presence and power of mega chain stores, forcing few out of business, and the lack of support from local customers. The larger chains have more resources and capitol to draw upon, and can easily afford to often offer special discounts and promotions to customers, even having “buy four books, get the fifth book free” specials during Black History Month. Who wouldn’t take advantage of a great deal like that? Yet, customers opting to support chain stores and capitalize on huge discounts, instead of continuing their purchases at local independent book stores, seriously affected smaller store owners, and the decline of independent stores started to rise rapidly. But, I remained loyal to everyone: me supporting street vendors, smaller shops and chain stores simultaneously while touring, doing multiple signings; events easily lasting up to 8 hours. THE GHETTOHEAT® MOVEMENT continues! I will keep you all posted on future developments as they arise.

So it’s a new decade: 2010—the year to win, are you ready? Even with transitions going in effect, I’m still very excited and have that winning spirit, forging ahead confidantly into the future! So much that I’m thrilled to announce that GHETTOHEAT® is launching eBooks! Yes! For all of you who enjoy reading works on Kindle, Sony, Nook, ipads, iphones, and other eBook reader gadgets, you will soon be able to read GHETTOHEAT® titles on them. The first title to be released digitally will be GHETTOHEAT®, and you’ll be able to read my “Hotness” in English and Spanish! Other titles will be available soon, as I’ll be doing major quality control checks, updating, revising and proofreading all titles before going in production (thumbs up!). I’m very busy behind the scenes as usual, in addition to starting my tour in February (scheduled until Christmas), yet this is what I do, people: and I l-o-v-e it! Thank you, again, everyone for your continued support throughout the years. I can’t believe it’s almost 7 years! Where did all the time go? HUSTLING! :0) I have several other projects perculating, people, (expanding) and I will inform you all about them as I get closer to launching.

As sequels/follow-ups of other GHETTOHEAT® artists’ works that you’ve read, ones created from 2006 to 2008, a memo has been sent to all about my plans of releasing these projects during 2013. Prior to this, I will be editing manuscripts of other writers (who’ve been waiting patiently while producing newer material for you), then finally completing my own long-anticipated novel, SKATE ON! (was to be completed and released in 2006). After the release of my novel, you’ll be able to read the follow-ups and works of the newly-signed artists recently acquired. So look forward to more intense “Hotness” coming your way (patience, folks…)!

…W-O-R-D?:

GHETTOHEAT® books: available online at Amazon.com, BlackandNobel.com, BN.com, Borders.com & GHETTOHEAT.COM.

GHETTOHEAT® books: bought at select street vendor tables and mall kiosks nationwide.

GHETTOHEAT® books: purchased at most independent Black bookstores.

GHETTOHEAT® books: sold at Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million, Borders, Bretanos and Waldenbooks nationally.

GHETTOHEAT® books: distributed to independent Black book stores and outlets exclusively by Black & Nobel.

GHETTOHEAT® books: heavily dispersed through reputable mainstream distributors: Baker & Taylor, Ingram and NBN.

GHETTOHEAT® print books are now distributed internationally: Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, China, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Indonesia, India, Japan, Kenya, Kuwait, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Thailand, United Arab Emirates and United Kingdom.

GHETTOHEAT® eBooks: available in various formats and distributed in over 110 countries, Fall 2010.

GHETTOHEAT®—solely owned by HICKSON: CEO of GHETTOHEAT®.

DROPPIN’ JEWELS…

Everyone, as always, it’s a pleasure spending time with you all, but now I have to roll out and take care of other matters. GOD willing I will be back shortly. In the meantime, check out the material on GHETTOHEAT.COM and see all that’s posted. Did you read all the wonderful GHETTOHEAT® titles yet? You better stop playing! :0) On a more serious note, there’s much going on right now globally, and I hope you all are taking note and preparing for the future, as more changes will take place. Some things I will discuss openly, others I won’t go into full detail with, due to the “powers that be”. Yet, I will offer subjects occassionally for you all to have open forums with while on my journey. Feel free to continue e-mailing me at HICKSON@GHETTOHEAT.COM, or with sending me letters to my P.O. Box below. People, be safe and take care. Stay strong, and never let a little cost you a lot. Peace and GHETTOHEAT®!

HICKSON: CEO of GHETTOHEAT®

Publisher of GHETTOHEAT®, CONVICT’S CANDY, HARDER, AND GOD CREATED WOMAN, LONDON REIGN, SONZ OF DARKNESS, TANTRUM, LOVE DON'T LOVE NOBODY, GHOST TOWN HUSTLERS, THICKNESS, DIRRRTY, TATTOOED TEARS, UGLY/BEAUTIFUL: ME, CLUB AVENUE, SKATE ON!, SOME SEXY, & TOUGH.

GHETTOHEAT® | P.O. BOX 2746 | NEW YORK, NY 10027 | GHETTOHEAT.COM | @GHETTOHEAT | @HICKSONHOTNESS

GHETTOHEAT®: THE HOTNESS IN THE STREETS!!!