African American History: The Untold Stories

Guest Yvette Long

Guest Yvette Long

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Yvette Long, and I’m an educator, author, and Executive Director of Platinum Minds - a New Jersey based non-profit that provides leadership training to academically gifted students. In August 2019, I published my most recent book, African American History: The Untold Stories with the intent of reconnecting African American students with their histories. It has been my hope that by publishing this book, I can help students build self-esteem, discover a sense of their true identity, and improve academic outcomes by reconnecting these students with their robust history. Now, more than ever, I realize it is imperative for all students to be taught the subject of Black History from an early age. It has long been my intent to share the rich history and culture that has fostered the talented, curious, and resilient students we work with everyday. AAHUTS offers students a conversational and approachable text spanning six time periods from 1513 to today. Readers can expect to read historical excerpts from essential figures from African American history, like Crispus Attucks, as well as detailed descriptors of culture, art, literature, sports, math, and science from each time period. 

African American History: The Untold Stories, that was written with the intent of connecting African American students to their American history. By reconnecting with their history, African American's and others will build self-esteem, pride in their country, discover a sense of their true identity, and improve academic outcomes. This book provides the true American History story – Untold stories will inspire the reader to achieve to their fullest potential and to work towards a more united, equitable and just America. Our nation has lived in the shameful shadows of the past, in this book the truths are revealed which will allow us to live more peacefully and harmoniously while demonstrating our greatness in leadership. True Americans have no need to rely upon the carrying of a flag to prove their patriotism, being an American is a natural way of being supported by strong character traits, values, and the respectful treatment of others. The popular, currently told version of American history is missing large segments of the true American History story. As captivating as it is educational, African American History: The Untold Stories provides students with a conversational and approachable text spanning six time periods from 1513 to today. Students can expect to read historical excerpts from essential figures from African American history, like Crispus Attucks, as well as detailed descriptors of culture, art, literature, sports, math, and science from each time period. Each section also includes a detailed chapter review as a guide for educators and a resource for students.