Sports poetry? a new book & more for readers, educators

Guest Deborah Turner

Guest Deborah Turner

Hi Y'all,

My debut book, Sweating It Out, and a reading & discussion guide for it are now available widely. Although each of the relatable poems in Sweating plays in a different arena--basketball, tennis, softball, etc., the collective work illustrates how the strength needed for real life has its roots in play. I'm especially proud of how beloved African-American traditions like call and response and the blues echo throughout Sweating, making it not only accessible, but also thought-provoking. 

Since writing it, I've started to identify other collections of sports poetry. I know about some. John Edgar Wideman's foreward to "Motion: American Sports Poetry" is a real classic piece. If anyone happens to know of other titles, please reply with them or contact me directly. Thanks!

I've created a free reading & discussion guide for Sweating. If any of you happen to be in a writing group or in (continuing) education, please download it at my website (link below).

I began following this site earlier this year and am glad to finally have something to share.

Only the best,

Deborah Turner 

e: deborah.turner.is@outlook.com

f: https://www.facebook.com/deborah.turner.940641

t: @DTurnerWriter

w: www.deborahturner.online/sweating-it-out