Black People in Prison Requesting Books

Guest tqcovington@gmail.com

Guest tqcovington@gmail.com

Hello.  I am on the Board of Directors for Open Books Prison Book Project in Pensacola, FL.  We are 100 percent staffed by volunteers and have been sending books to prisoners throughout the state of Florida for 20 years. We receive about 100 letters a month and send out as many packages.  The inmate writes to us requesting general topics or authors and we do our best to send what they request.  All the books we have are donated, so our selection varies.  

As you may know, people of color make up a large percentage of the prison population in Florida as well as the country at large.  Many of the prisoners request literature by black authors or about historical black figures in history.  The donations of works that fit those categories are nearly non-existant. 

I am starting this thread in hopes of having donations of remainders or the like of books by or about Black Americans. Any donations should be soft cover. Prisons  do not allow hard back books (and they are expensive to send).  We are a 501(c)3 Nonprofit and all donations are tax deductable. 

If you can donate books please send to:

Open Books

1040 N. Guillemard St.

Pensacola, FL 32501

If you are in Pensacola, please come visit our store. It is open 12-5 seven days a week.

Thank you so mych for reading this thread and I hope it is acceptable to the moderators to share among the participants.

Terry Covington

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good way to uplift and encourage others not just to read, but to persevere through their circumstance in a positive manner and even get inspired to make a change because something they read stands as an example of the possibilities that lie ahead.  I will send a few books to the address you noted.