I created my Facebook account on October 21st 2007. The 4th post on my wall came almost a year later, in September of 2008. The message was my from my friend and business associate Ron Kavanaugh who wrote: “post something!”
In response, I commented on a photo he tagged me on. However it took another 6 months before I began to actively use Facebook. That was two years ago and I’ve been an active user ever since. Today I spend about an hour a day on Facebook; it is part of my daily routine and an integral part of my business.
As a result, of this experience I decided to share some random thoughts about Facebook. Hopefully you’ll find a few interesting. Please share your own insights in the comments.
- My aunt calls Facebook, “Myfacespace”
- MySpace has actually gotten a lot better, but no one has noticed.
- More than 50% of Americans over 12 years of age are users of Facebook. However, most of my family and friends don’t have Facebook accounts.
- I never believed Facebook user counts. There are Facebook profiles for pets, characters from novels, people with multiple profiles even Big Foot has one.
- I have almost 4,900 “friends”. I’m now suspicious of friend request from someone with whom I share no friends.
- I’m surprised when I get a friend request from someone I actually know.
- My teenage children and I are not Facebook friends, and we love each other.
- I hate the Facebook feature where a “friend” can add you to a group without your permission. Your only notice is the rash of emails from the group.
- I spent about an hour a day on Facebook. If I were not running a web based business I suspect it would be about an hour a week.
- I love to play games, but I never play games on Facebook – In fact I block all game applications.
- When removing that spam post for the “free iPad” on my wall, I accidentally clicked it. The associated application proceeded to spam by friends with the same message. It took an hour to remove those spam messages from my friend’s walls.
- It is astonishing how many people use their websites to drive traffic to Facebook rather than the other way around.
- Too many people take the activities of others, on Facebook, way too seriously.
- I can’t reply to all of my Facebook messages — especially if I don’t log in for a day or two. If I don’t reply, don’t assume I hate you, just try again.
- The best thing about a Facebook Fan Page is the visitor statistics they provide.
- Through Facebook I’ve reconnected with people I have not seen in over 30 years.
- I thoroughly enjoyed the film Social Network
- Facebook is great. Some think it will “become the Internet”. I think that would be a disaster.
Random Thoughts About Facebook