The Kid from Diamond Street: The Extraordinary Story of Baseball Legend Edith Houghton
by Audrey Vernick
Publication Date: Mar 29, 2016
List Price: $17.99
Format: Hardcover, 40 pages
Imprint: Clarion Books
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Parent Company: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Borrow from Library
Audrey Vernick and Steven Salerno have again collaborated to bring us a captivating picture book about a compelling but little-known piece of baseball history. Beginning in 1922, when Edith Houghton was only ten years old, she tried out for a women’s professional baseball team, the Philadelphia Bobbies. Though she was the smallest on the field, soon reporters were talking about “The Kid” and her incredible skill, and crowds were packing the stands to see her play. Her story reminds us that baseball has never been about just men and boys. Baseball is also about talented girls willing to work hard to play any way they can.
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Biography & Autobiography / Sports & Recreation
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Biography & Autobiography / Women
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Girls & Women
- Juvenile Nonfiction / History / United States / 20Th Century
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Sports & Recreation / Baseball & Softball
Tell us what do you think about The Kid from Diamond Street: The Extraordinary Story of Baseball Legend Edith Houghton.