by Kwame Alexander, Illustrated by Kadir Nelson
- A Top 150 African-American Children’s Book
- 5 Time AALBC.com Bestselling Book!
- Coretta Scott King Award Winning Book 2020
- Honored by the National Book Foundation in 2019
- Kirkus Prize Finalist/Winner 2019
- Newbery Medal Winner or Honor 2020
- Caldecott Medal Winner or Honor 2020
Publication Date: Apr 02, 2019
List Price: $17.99
Format: Hardcover, 40 pages
Target Age Group: Picture Book
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Parent Company: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Borrow from Library
The Newbery Award-winning author of THE CROSSOVER pens an ode to black American triumph and tribulation, with art from a two-time Caldecott Honoree.
Originally performed for ESPN’s The Undefeated, this poem is a love letter to black life in the United States. It highlights the unspeakable trauma of slavery, the faith and fire of the civil rights movement, and the grit, passion, and perseverance of some of the world’s greatest heroes. The text is also peppered with references to the words of Martin Luther King, Jr., Langston Hughes, Gwendolyn Brooks, and others, offering deeper insights into the accomplishments of the past, while bringing stark attention to the endurance and spirit of those surviving and thriving in the present.
- Juvenile Nonfiction / History / United States / General
- Juvenile Nonfiction / People & Places / United States / African American
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Poetry / General
Tell us what do you think about The Undefeated.