March Forward, Girl: From Young Warrior to Little Rock Nine
by Melba Pattillo Beals
Publication Date: Jan 02, 2018
List Price: $16.99 (store prices may vary)
Page Count: 240
Imprint: HMH Books for Young Readers
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Parent Company: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
From the legendary civil rights activist and author of the million-copy selling Warriors Don’t Cry comes an ardent and profound childhood memoir of growing up while facing adversity in the Jim Crow South.
Long before she was one of the Little Rock Nine, Melba Pattillo Beals was a warrior. Frustrated by the laws that kept African-Americans separate but very much unequal to whites, she had questions. Why couldn’t she drink from a "whites only" fountain? Why couldn’t she feel safe beyond home—or even within the walls of church? Adults all told her: Hold your tongue. Be patient. Know your place. But Beals had the heart of a fighter—and the knowledge that her true place was a free one.
Combined with emotive drawings and photos, this memoir paints a vivid picture of Beals’ powerful early journey on the road to becoming a champion for equal rights, an acclaimed journalist, a best-selling author, and the recipient of this country’s highest recognition, the Congressional Gold Medal.
More books like March Forward, Girl: From Young Warrior to Little Rock Nine may be found by selecting the categories below:
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Biography & Autobiography / Cultural Heritage
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Biography & Autobiography / Historical
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Biography & Autobiography / Literary
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Biography & Autobiography / Women
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Girls & Women
- Juvenile Nonfiction / People & Places / United States / African American
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Social Topics / Prejudice & Racism
Tell us what do you think about March Forward, Girl: From Young Warrior to Little Rock Nine.