The Rock And The River
by Kekla Magoon
- A Top 10 Book in the “Children’s Books from the 21st Century” Category
- 1 Time AALBC.com Bestselling Book!
- Coretta Scott King Award Winning Book 2010
Publication Date: Apr 06, 2010
Age: 9 - 14
Page Count: 304
Publisher: Simon & Schuster, Inc.
Parent Company: CBS Corporation
In 1968 Chicago, it’s not easy for thirteen-year-old Sam to be the son of known civil rights activist Roland Childs. Especially when his older brother, Stick, starts keeping to himself. Then, one day, Sam finds something under Stick’s bed that changes everything: literature about the Black Panthers. Suddenly, nothing feels certain anymore. And when Dr. King is shot and killed, Sam’s father’s words are no longer enough to make him believe in change….This moving, coming-of-age story gracefully encompasses the scope of the struggle between the civil rights and black power movements through an intimate and relatable lens.
More books like The Rock And The River may be found by selecting the categories below:
- Juvenile Fiction / Boys & Men
- Juvenile Fiction / Family / Siblings
- Juvenile Fiction / Historical / General
- Juvenile Fiction / Social Themes / Prejudice & Racism
Tell us what do you think about The Rock And The River.