by Troy Andrews, Illustrated by Bryan Collier
- A Top 150 African-American Children’s Book
- Coretta Scott King Award Winning Book 2016
- Caldecott Medal Winner or Honor
Publication Date: Apr 14, 2015
List Price: $17.95
Format: Hardcover, 40 pages
Target Age Group: Picture Book
Imprint: Abrams Books
Parent Company: La Martinière Groupe
Borrow from Library
Hailing from the Tremé neighborhood in New Orleans, Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews got his nickname by wielding a trombone twice as long as he was high. A prodigy, he was leading his own band by age six, and today this Grammy-nominated artist headlines the legendary New Orleans Jazz Fest.
Along with esteemed illustrator Bryan Collier, Andrews has created a lively picture book autobiography about how he followed his dream of becoming a musician, despite the odds, until he reached international stardom. Trombone Shorty is a celebration of the rich cultural history of New Orleans and the power of music.
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Biography & Autobiography / Music
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Music / Jazz
- Juvenile Nonfiction / People & Places / United States / African American