Robert Townsend on films made in the USA in the 1970s involving Black Thespians

now01.png
Director and actor Robert Townsend shares his affinity for “Blaxploitation” films and how it was the first time he saw Black characters in films as superheroes.
[VID: Interview with actor Robert Townsend.
Transcript: For one, I hate the term black exploitation because that was the very first time I got to see black folks in lead roles kicking butt and being like all the other heroes that I had grew up on from Bogart to Cagney to John Wayne. You name it. So it was a period where Fred Williamson was my hero. Pam Greer was my hero. Rudy Ray Moore, it wasn't, I hate that they always say it was exploitation. No, Hollywood made a lot of money. Hollywood made a lot of money on those films and they supplied a need. If you've only seen people in that kind of "yes sir, boss," mode and all of a sudden you see 'em, "I'm the cool guy, I get the girl." I mean the only time the brothers would get the girls in the movies before was when they were dead. You know? "I'm gonna miss you." And she was shot. They never saved the day, they were always the best friend. And so here we had a period where you got Shaft, you got African Americans in lead roles and they fought the bad guys and they won. And I don't know why that was bad because as a kid growing up in Chicago, I'd go down to the McVickers and the Woods Theater downtown in Chicago and see three movies for $2. And you'd see a "Shaft," you'd see a "Super Fly," you'd see "The Mack." And all it was was great entertainment. But only this time, the leads were African Americans.]

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

REFERENCE

Robert Townsend

Found in: Sidney Poitier: One Bright Light

Interview Date:

1998-10-14

Runtime:

0:33:35

Keywords:

American Archive of Public Broadcasting GUID:

cpb-aacip-504-4f1mg7g994, cpb-aacip-504-b853f4m850

MLA CITATIONS:

"Robert Townsend , Sidney Poitier: One Bright Light" American Masters Digital Archive (WNET). October 14, 1998 , 

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/archive/interview/robert-townsend/

APA CITATIONS:

(1 , 1). Robert Townsend , Sidney Poitier: One Bright Light [Video]. American Masters Digital Archive (WNET). 

CHICAGO CITATIONS:

"Robert Townsend , Sidney Poitier: One Bright Light" American Masters Digital Archive (WNET). October 14, 1998 . Accessed April 11, 2023 

FULL TRANSCRIPT

Speaker Sydney wrote in his book, Viewed from where I stood on the margins of the American social reality, the Hollywood of my youth was not a courageous place, nor was in a hospital, a place for one perceived as different as a trespasser prowling too close to some private domain. Sydney came to Hollywood in the 50s when you were born and you follow.

Speaker 30 years later, did you find this a hospitable place when you arrived?

Speaker Oh, you know, when I.

Speaker You know, it’s funny because my earliest memories of Hollywood were before I even got here as a kid watching movies and being a big fan of Humphrey Bogart and just the images that I saw. But I knew something was wrong because I would watch and want to be Humphrey Bogart. And he was looking at you, sweetheart, all of that. And I noticed that the black people talk differently.

Speaker They were you all meeting in the movie? Is there anything?

Speaker And as a kid, I knew something was wrong, but I couldn’t. I was like going, well, I want to be Humphrey Bogart. And I couldn’t quite figure out why they were talking that way, because everybody else is talking English, you know, like regular, you know.

Speaker And they were and, you know, I mean, you know.

Speaker And so when I finally got into show business and I discovered that there were writers that would write certain things and there were directors that would direct you in a certain way to play these roles, then I discovered another side of Hollywood and I had that much more respect for Mr. Porter when I would look back at the films that he was a part of. It really made me realize there was something going on different. And so when I got here, I was kind of aware, but I didn’t quite know, you know, when I was a kid, my nickname was TV Guide because all I did was watch television and I could do impressions of everything. And I thought I was going to be Ronald Coleman when I got in fights with the queen of England.

Speaker I shall do whatever, you know. I mean, that’s what I was thinking.

Speaker And I found myself auditioning for a lot of slaves and pimps and junkies and illiterate basketball players. So those were the only roles. And so when I got to Hollywood, I discovered something different as well.

Speaker What kind of difference do you think Sydney having first made for you?

Speaker Oh, what I would say is that I can’t remember the first time I saw him on screen. I just remember that that was the very first time I saw someone that looked like me have dignity and stand up for themselves because I had seen all those other images of, you know, there a line in here and eyeballs really big.

Speaker And there was this man who was articulate and strong.

Speaker And, you know, right away I could understand. I saw something. I can understand the magic. And he had a charisma and he was I don’t know, it was like royalty. It’s like photographing royalty. And there it was. And I said, wow, that’s what it’s really about. You know, that’s who because I never watched television and movies with a prejudice. I but I just knew that something was lopsided. And then when I saw, you know, Mr 48 for the very first time, it really affected me on a deeper level. I just knew that that was the right. He was doing what I really wanted to do. And and back then, I didn’t know what his struggles were, you know. You know, it’s funny because I had I had lunch with him a long time ago and I you know you know me.

Speaker I’m like a kid, you know, I’m like, well, how did you get to have dignity?

Speaker Know, I mean, I’m an artist. I’m like, what? Anybody else didn’t get dignity. You got dignity. And he said, you know.

Speaker You know, he’s so, you know, you know, articulate and, you know, eloquent in his words. And he said that would mean, Robert, that, you know, that understood that understood what was going on was wrong. And these men had a lot of courage. These directors, these writers that, you know, said, hey, here’s the defiant ones, a year, I guess, who’s coming to dinner. And they had vision and they, you know, took whatever heat they had to take, you know, in the heat of the night, you know. But he said he only did so many movies because of that, because he said no, because he didn’t want to do, you know, the stereotypical roles. And so I had to. And he just I you know, he says I haven’t done, you know, hundreds and hundreds of films. But the ones I did they did matter to me.

Speaker And that always stayed with me because I to this day, I remember the comedy. How do you get to have dignity? Because you’re talking about the 50s.

Speaker And when you look at if you said there was a scale of, you know, all the films that were coming out of Hollywood, for the most part, everyone followed the same pattern. And so there was this man that didn’t have to shuffle and do you know, can’t look at you.

Speaker I can’t look at it.

Speaker You know, he was you know, I will look at you and I. I can be a psychiatrist. I could be anything. And you go like, whoa, you know, it was unheard of to see that on screen. It was happening. And, you know, in segregation, you had black doctors, black psychiatrists and all of that, but you never saw them on screen.

Speaker And so, you know, I mean, his impact was was was was deeper on a lot of levels because visually, you could see him as a doctor, you know, where that was such a powerful imagery for me as a kid, because I grew up on the west side of Chicago, rough neighborhood. All I saw was like hustlers and pimps and that kind of stuff. And started to see something like that on television was kind of, you know, really groundbreaking, you know, for me, because I know what’s wrong with this picture. But nothing was wrong with the picture. It was just that my eyes had never adjusted to understanding all the possibilities.

Speaker So I just think because that kid thing stays with you your whole life in a funny way, that clean slate and it doesn’t have a political thing to do. Just as I see this and now I see this and.

Speaker Oh, yeah, well, you know, it’s kind of like.

Speaker It’s like some kids took in the images and made them say, I can’t do because of the color of my skin, I can’t play a king, I can’t play whatever character with with Mr. portrayed. There were no limits. And for some reason, I evolved into that, that there was something going on that made me stronger, you know what I mean? But I like I said, I was a kid. I was you know, I guess my nickname was TV Guide, but I would do impressions of everything I saw on television. But when he came on, there was something.

Speaker And to this day, he still has it.

Speaker And it still affects me the same way on.

Speaker What was the first do you remember your first? What do you feel? Do you remember what it was?

Speaker Oh, what comes to mind are two different films.

Speaker One is The Defiant Ones, because that that imagery was so powerful, you don’t know what to think you can remember.

Speaker Well, that made a difference. Well, you know what, I was so.

Speaker There’s another. I think it’s up to you. I’m not sure.

Speaker I saw a golden rule of. Rudy.

Speaker For the very first time I saw Mr. Portrayed in the movie, a couple of movies come to mind on. The Defiant Ones with Tony Curtis, because I remember, you know, the chains and then being linked together, but then this friendship, this bond, you know, and and again, that. He was outspoken and he had something to say, so that’s one that comes to mind what the three come to mind as a kid. Then there was a movie with Richard Widmark and he was on. It was a long, long ships. I can’t think of the name of the movie now, but it’s I see him and he’s got like a he’s a swashbuckler kind of character and I don’t even know the film now. I’m just thinking as a kid, I remember that had an impact, you know, because the way, you know, the way he was dressed in the whole period.

Speaker And but the other film that I would say no way out. Yeah. That one because of again.

Speaker His manner, because it was like nothing I’d ever seen before, and it’s funny how imagery stays in your head even as a kid and I haven’t seen a lot of these films of late, but the imagery I’m going back to when I was a kid now, and I just remember going, wow, I don’t even know how to describe it. I it’s like I just remember seeing it on television and even though it was black and white and how powerful it was. And I mean, I haven’t seen it since then, but those were the earliest those were the earliest things I remember.

Speaker It’s interesting on the way up.

Speaker I’ll tell you that later.

Speaker Had you ever seen or heard of Paul Robeson Academy or one?

Speaker I just. No, no, I of you know, I mean, much later I had what? Because with with Paul Robeson, it was, you know, Old Man River, you know, and again, I couldn’t identify because there were a lot of those dialects that I so and not hated. But it was just like I had seen so much of that. So I couldn’t identify. And it wasn’t later on until later on that I understood, you know, in terms of who he really was. But, you know, again, it fell into that thing of understanding that certain performers had to do that, like watching Amos and Andy.

Speaker And when you hear him talk, you know, and I just remember as a kid, you know, like caught up Dallas Sapphire, I know that you really did want to die.

Speaker This president and I and I just remember that Dilek as a kid because I could do any voice. And then I was like, well, you know, but again. With with Paul Robeson, it wasn’t until later on that I that I saw tapes of his his his his speaking and what he was really about, but old Man River becomes the first imagery that comes to mind.

Speaker Absolutely.

Speaker What what role? Can somebody just just run, check it out like like to check it out, because it is the.

Speaker Now we’re rolling. What role did you play in relation to the black community?

Speaker Its aspirations, its frustrations.

Speaker For me, I know. He represented hope, he represented hope, because if this one man could.

Speaker Have dignity on that screen. Others can have dignity, and I think when I think about. You know, being a kid in the 60s, you know, and that’s when I started to really watch these movies, he was one of very few that had dignity. And so to me, it’s the power of example, you know, to say, hey, no one knew what his struggle was in Hollywood, but the work that was coming out was different than anything else. So that’s the impact that registers for me and people that I grew up with. We all said, hey, you know, if you’re going to be an actor, like my friends, when I left for Hollywood, if you’re going to be an actor, you know, go for that to Sidney Poitier, roll, you know, go for that kind of quality because it was like he said, he said he raised the bar very high. And it’s one thing to look and say, well, when I go to Hollywood, I want to be like Stepin Fetchit. I want to be like Mantan Moreland. Nothing’s wrong with them. But then it’s like, well, I don’t know if I want to do that, you know? And then there was Sidney Poitier and everybody says. And so I think he definitely had a huge impact on.

Speaker But again, I didn’t know politically what what strings were being pulled at him. I just knew from my eyes it was hard enough to be a great actor and have dignity and have class in a place that was producing images that were totally, totally counter.

Speaker Of.

Speaker Well, I don’t think you would know this, it said that there was only one black star that.

Speaker Why do you think it was made and what kind of pressure do you think was involved in being the one?

Speaker I mean, if you want to put it like this on.

Speaker You tell me one time.

Speaker What did they call the light? What did they call the light? Oh, I can’t remember now.

Speaker I can’t remember, but they one of the lights is is kind of a racist term, and he told me once, he said, you know, going into the studio, it would be him and only the shoeshine guy and how sometimes he encountered racism, but he knew he had to rise above it.

Speaker It was like he was like the like Jackie Robinson was to baseball. Sidney was to acting. So you’re going to have a lot of people resenting you. I can imagine. And. I don’t know what it was like, but the only thing I can equate it to is the stories I’ve heard about, you know, Jackie Robinson, you know, and his own teammates didn’t want to play with him at times. And, you know, the things that people would heckle. And so, you know, here you have this leading man who happens to be black. And I’m sure that, you know, there were crew cars that probably, you know, didn’t want to deal with him or didn’t like him. I mean, so I know that. I mean, but he’s such a classy man that, you know, it’s like it just came with the territory.

Speaker But I know that it’s I mean, you know, it it’s like racism exists now. And I can’t I can’t imagine what it was like in the 50s with all the segregation and everything, colored water fountains, you know, white water fountains.

Speaker And then to be this actor that was doing work that wasn’t. In that box, so I don’t know, I mean, but I know it it had to be an incredible amount of pressure. I mean, he had to have the weight of the world on his shoulders because he anybody to talk to to say, hey, man, how’s it going at your studio? How are you dealing with it? You know, and then it’s like there wasn’t a body.

Speaker So it’s not like you could call so-and-so over at someone so and say, how’s it for you? You know, I’m doing this part and I’ve got to play the psychiatrist. And everybody else is like, what are you complaining about? Because we wish we could.

Speaker So he didn’t have anybody to to really call and compare notes because he was by himself. He was in a league by himself. So I don’t I don’t know how he made it through, I mean, in terms of family and friends. But to really know, you know, to make the decisions, to say no to a PA that back then if he was being paid two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, you know a lot. And to say, no, I can’t do that because I don’t feel comfortable. And so my girls. Who are you not you know that you know and you know and so his career, he only did the films that he really believed in, which is a luxury that a lot of people, you know, don’t have. And he didn’t have either. But he chose to he chose to take the high road instead of the low road and compromise. And he never compromise. And so all of his when you look at all of his films, they all have this incredible life energy.

Speaker Do you see a very different person? Huh?

Speaker No. OK.

Speaker There came a point when Sydney was very strongly criticized.

Speaker He and his rule were not seen as representing the realities of the black community. His elegance and the balance he created backfired. He was called a black actor for white audiences. The title of the piece was called Why Whites Love Sidney Poitier So Much.

Speaker Why do you think that was? Why do you think that was?

Speaker And what do you think about that now with some distance and perspective?

Speaker Oh, you know, the sad thing about.

Speaker The sad thing about African-American people sometimes is that they want their celebrities to be everything to everybody and no one is going to satisfy everybody. He’s one man and.

Speaker Within his own way, he was creating a system, a revolution of sorts.

Speaker Oh, sorry, is that no, that’s that’s fine. I was borderline, but yeah.

Speaker No, you know, it’s a sad thing when you.

Speaker I mean, when you say there was an article and people say, you know, black people say, hey, you know, you know, why do white people like him? And then when you say, well, what? When you really break it down? There are people that are going to be jealous. There are people that are going to be pulling him from nine million ways. And when it was all said and done, if there was one person that represented on a whole new image of African-Americans, it was simply, so how dare someone say, you know, I mean, why do they like him? I mean, this man brought such integrity and. Well, aside from the talent, he put a human face on on on on black people, he put a human face. We laugh, we cry, we get angry. Before that, it was just what we call the happy darky period where it’s like we just all happy, you know, we can’t we can’t do nothing. And here was this man. So I don’t understand when the critics came at him like that, but I think that people wanted maybe him to be more involved in, you know, I don’t know what causes, but I think his work said everything, you know.

Speaker I mean, he was the only one. It wasn’t like I was like, this is why do white people like him? The roles he played were different roles. He wasn’t playing. You know, I’m Hollywoods boy, rub my head. He wasn’t playing that. He was like, you know, I’m powerful, I’m strong. And the directors that supported him and the writers that wrote the material wrote these powerful characters that weren’t stereotypes by any stretch of the imagination.

Speaker So I really you know, it hurts me to even hear that because this man had a lot of dignity and he had a lot of class and he had a lot of he had a lot of character. And I think that, you know, it’s like there were those who didn’t like Jackie Robinson because they said, why does he have to be in in the big leagues? Why can’t he stay in the Negro Leagues? And maybe that was part of it. Why does Sidney need to be in this? Why isn’t he working in these in the separate cinema? You know, I mean, like Oscar Micheaux. Why doesn’t he I mean, it’s like anytime somebody rises to the top, there’s going to be those that want to yank you back down. It’s the crab crab in the barrel syndrome. And I think Sidney rose so high that there’s going to be people that says he could do. He could do. But, you know, again, the whole world is watching. And what was at the core to me was just this talented artist just wanted to do his work. But along the way, he raised the bar. And I just think that it’s not every day that people come along to raise the bar that make you proud to be who you are or make you, you know, raise your head a little bit higher to say I could do that. And I think that it’s unfair. But I think part of it is crabs in a barrel. I really do.

Speaker Well, uh, next came the so-called black exploitation films produced by White Men specifically to attract black audiences and their dollars.

Speaker Was this any more real? What was that stuff?

Speaker You know what, I hate the term black exploitation, because that was a very first time I got to see, you know, black folks in lead roles kicking butt and being, you know, like all the other heroes that I grew up on from Bogarde to Cagney to John Wayne, you name it, you know. So it was a period where, you know, Fred Williamson was my hero. You know, Pam Grier was my hero. Rudy Ray Moore. It wasn’t. I hate that they always say it was exploitation. No, Hollywood made a lot of money.

Speaker Hollywood made a lot of money on those films. And they supply the need. You know, we if you’ve seen it, we’ve only seen, you know, people in that that kind of. Yes. A boss mold. And all of a sudden you see them, you know, I’m the cool guy. I get the girl, you know. I mean, the only time the brothers would get the girls in the movies before was when they were dead.

Speaker You know, she was shot. You know, they never save the day. They were always the best friend.

Speaker And so here we had a period where you got you got Shaf. You got, you know, you know, African-Americans in lead roles and they fought the bad guys and they won. And I don’t know why that was bad, because as a kid growing up in Chicago, I’d go down to the McVicar and watch theater downtown in Chicago and see three movies for two dollars and you’d see a share. If you see a super fly, you see the mack. And all it was was great entertainment. But only this time the leads were African-Americans, you know what I mean? But I think that it was a good period. I hate the word exploitation because who was being exploited, you know? I mean, it was just that take away that period. The only person that was in a powerful position was Sidney Poitier. So other than that, there were no movies aside from Oscar Micheaux’s films, which were more in the the the 40s and the 30s, you know, I mean, that period. But other than that, there were no other. James Earl Jones is just coming along with the Great White Hope and and the films that he was doing. But that period was a really, I think, one of one of the best periods in African-American cinema, to tell you the truth. I mean, you had films ranging from Claudine to Cooley High to, you know, the legend of [Unrecognized] Charlie. I mean, they were all really well made movies.

Speaker Let’s talk about the director, his three comedies with Bill Cosby in the 1970s. Right. So every night piece of the action. Let’s do it again. How did you react to these films? And what were they?

Speaker Uptown Saturday night, let’s do it again, a piece of the action. Very funny films, piece of the action was really touching because it had some great performances by the kids. Sheryl Lee Ralph is in that film. And, you know, he and Bill Cosby created a comedy team on par with Martin and Lewis. Any of those? I mean, they had like it was great to see Mr. A Stretch.

Speaker I mean, he’s just shown his range that he could you know, I mean, I remember that scene where it’s like he’s in a bar, Cosby. And then as I talk about his mom, talk about his mom a little Seymour, your mama.

Speaker I know your mama.

Speaker And then Harold Nicholas is playing Little Seymour.

Speaker This is classic, you know, I mean, that whole thing. And he showed his rage. He showed that he could do comedy in a way that people always thought that, you know, he’s a serious, serious guy. So the thing that I think it was refreshing. You had a who’s who in the cast, Richard Pryor, playing a detective in one, James Earl Jones and just seeing all of them together was like because here were all these legendary stars and they were just having fun. And then they they showed me as a comedian that you could be really funny, still be classy. And it wasn’t cheap humor. It was just classic comedy and just some really funny I mean, like I said, that whole thing with, you know, because to hear Sidney do your mama jokes, this is funny.

Speaker You know, just feel, you know, like your mama is.

Speaker So I heard the other day, you know, he just got his rhythm.

Speaker So very funny. Just very funny and. All my heroes on screen together, just jamming, you know, is like is like a great jazz session.

Speaker All the players write and tune and so interesting for him to go in that direction after all the.

Speaker Yeah, well, you know, it’s you know, it shows the mark of a true artist, you know? I mean, he’s a true, you know, and a fine, fine actor. I mean, he could go from, you know, something, you know, so serious, as you know, no way out to.

Speaker Let’s do it again. You know, I mean, uptown Saturday night, you know. I mean. I mean. I mean. And then as a director, stir crazy.

Speaker I mean, one of the funniest pitches. I mean, oh, man. You talk about pulling the magic out of Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor and Richard Pryor had never been better. And that whole you know, it’s classic now. I mean, you see it on sitcoms and other people. We’ve had we’ve had, you know, that whole thing, Richard. And I mean, you know, it just you know, it just shows just how I mean, that he understands, you know, it in front and behind the camera.

Speaker You. Yeah, funny moment. Very funny movie criticism.

Speaker It’s I mean I mean, George Sanford Brown. I mean, it was just really well done and and it just made you laugh. And I said he knew how to pull the magic out of Richard and Gene Wilder. And I mean, I think that really started their whole relationship that continued on and on. I mean, with silver, no silver streak as far as I believe.

Speaker Yeah, but the magic was there, so I’m finished.

Speaker Oh, you would like to say anything else?

Speaker I’d like to say you have said it all.

Speaker But if there’s no you know, I mean, I just love him. So I mean. I mean, I’m glad you guys are doing this. I mean.

Speaker You know, I think.

Speaker Hopefully, by taking people on a journey through, you know, Mr. Porter’s life, it’ll encourage and inspire a whole new generation, you know?

Speaker And so, you know, I’m just glad to be I mean, like I said, he continues to be an inspiration for me, you know? I mean I mean, his work is he just keeps pushing it. And I don’t even know how old he is, but he just continues to push it. I mean, and he still has it. And so it’s inspiring for me.

Speaker I mean, I’m I’m still a baby, so I’m having fun. Thank you. Thank you.