[For book review consideration] COLEMAN HILL by Kim Coleman Foote (SJP Lit, Sept 2023)

I'm thrilled to share a moving and sweeping debut for review consideration: COLEMAN HILL by Kim Coleman Foote. National Book Award winner Jacqueline Woodson had this to say about Foote's work, "Once in a while, a writer comes along with a brilliance that stops the breath. Kim Coleman Foote is that writer.”

A digital review copy can be accessed on NetGalley and physical ARCs are available upon request. More information is below. Thank you for considering! 

Book Title: COLEMAN HILL: A BIOMYTHOGRAPHY

Author: Kim Coleman Foote

ISBN: 9781638931140

Publication Date: September 5, 2023

SynopsisColeman Hill is the exhilarating story of two American families whose fates become intertwined in the wake of the Great Migration. Braiding fact and fiction, it is a remarkable, character-rich tour de force exploring the ties that bind three generations. 

In 1916, Celia Coleman and Lucy Grimes flee the racism and poverty of their homes in the post–Civil War South for the “Promised Land” of the North. But soon they learn that even in Vauxhall, New Jersey, black women are mainly hired for domestic work, money is scarce, children don’t progress in school, and black men die young. 

Within a few short years, both women’s husbands are dead. Left to navigate this unwelcoming place alone, Celia and Lucy turn to one another for support in raising their children far from home. They become one another’s closest confidantes and, encouraged by their mothers’ friendship, their children’s lives become enmeshed as well. However, with this closeness comes complication. As the children grow into adolescence, two are caught in an impulsive act of impropriety, and Celia and Lucy find themselves at irreconcilable odds over who’s to blame. The ensuing fallout has dire consequences that reverberate through the next two generations of their families.

A stunning biomythography—a word coined by the late great writer Audre Lorde—Coleman Hill draws from the author’s own family legend, historical record, and fervent imagination to create an unforgettable new history. 

Publicity Contacts: Chloe Texier-Rose (Director of Publicity), Sara Hayet (Associate Publicist)

image.thumb.png.85e3eade03e8e6b9b5674f5f7a49e99a.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2023 at 6:46 PM, Sara Hayet said:

I'm thrilled to share a moving and sweeping debut for review consideration: COLEMAN HILL by Kim Coleman Foote. National Book Award winner Jacqueline Woodson had this to say about Foote's work, "Once in a while, a writer comes along with a brilliance that stops the breath. Kim Coleman Foote is that writer.”

A digital review copy can be accessed on NetGalley and physical ARCs are available upon request. More information is below. Thank you for considering! 

Book Title: COLEMAN HILL: A BIOMYTHOGRAPHY

Author: Kim Coleman Foote

ISBN: 9781638931140

Publication Date: September 5, 2023

SynopsisColeman Hill is the exhilarating story of two American families whose fates become intertwined in the wake of the Great Migration. Braiding fact and fiction, it is a remarkable, character-rich tour de force exploring the ties that bind three generations. 

In 1916, Celia Coleman and Lucy Grimes flee the racism and poverty of their homes in the post–Civil War South for the “Promised Land” of the North. But soon they learn that even in Vauxhall, New Jersey, black women are mainly hired for domestic work, money is scarce, children don’t progress in school, and black men die young. 

Within a few short years, both women’s husbands are dead. Left to navigate this unwelcoming place alone, Celia and Lucy turn to one another for support in raising their children far from home. They become one another’s closest confidantes and, encouraged by their mothers’ friendship, their children’s lives become enmeshed as well. However, with this closeness comes complication. As the children grow into adolescence, two are caught in an impulsive act of impropriety, and Celia and Lucy find themselves at irreconcilable odds over who’s to blame. The ensuing fallout has dire consequences that reverberate through the next two generations of their families.

By the way, who has not yet managed to use this source see page I highly recommend you to try it, because I use it practically every day to make writings and through this I develop a lot, I think many already know but I will double here, because the source really deserves to be used. Especially since there are also interesting texts such as A Rose for Emlily

A stunning biomythography—a word coined by the late great writer Audre Lorde—Coleman Hill draws from the author’s own family legend, historical record, and fervent imagination to create an unforgettable new history. 

Publicity Contacts: Chloe Texier-Rose (Director of Publicity), Sara Hayet (Associate Publicist)

image.thumb.png.85e3eade03e8e6b9b5674f5f7a49e99a.png

I've read it, but it's not as interesting as it sounds.