John Edgar Wideman Self Publishes

I just updated Wideman's AALBC.com page to include links to his new book. A free preview is available there also (it looks really good) and links to a few of his older works, (from the 60's and 70's) republished by Lulu.

There is also a reading in the city (New York) this weekend at the Soho House from Wideman's latest.

imgFE.jpg

As an aside, I don't really understand the game plan (from a business perspective) on how these books are being sold.

While Wideman is a great writer, he is a relatively obscure. It looks like his latest book will only be available via Lulu. Even setting up the links (so that I can earn revenue as a result of my online sales) was a relative chore. I can't even find an ISBN for the book.

His other books ship in 10 to 15 business days. In today's world that is outrageous.

While I appreciate that one can keep all of the profits if they self publish (I'm all for that), that does not mean however that you don't promote and make the book widely available and easily accessible as you can. Keeping the book exclusive to Lulu will constrain sales. I'm not convinced the better margins will compensate for the reduction in sales.

Maybe sales are not important. Maybe I don't have enough information to understand what is going on...

Right now there is some buzz amongst industry folks; mainly because a important writer is releasing a book in this fashion.

Tina how did you learn about the book? Was it from reading Kalamu's blog? Thanks for sharing.

I just updated Wideman's AALBC.com page to include links to his new book. A free preview is available there also (it looks really good) and links to a few of his older works, (from the 60's and 70's) republished by Lulu.

There is also a reading in the city (New York) this weekend at the Soho House from Wideman's latest.

imgFE.jpg

As an aside, I don't really understand the game plan (from a business perspective) on how these books are being sold.

While Wideman is a great writer, he is a relatively obscure. It looks like his latest book will only be available via Lulu. Even setting up the links (so that I can earn revenue as a result of my online sales) was a relative chore. I can't even find an ISBN for the book.

His other books ship in 10 to 15 business days. In today's world that is outrageous.

While I appreciate that one can keep all of the profits if they self publish (I'm all for that), that does not mean however that you don't promote and make the book widely available and easily accessible as you can. Keeping the book exclusive to Lulu will constrain sales. I'm not convinced the better margins will compensate for the reduction in sales.

Maybe sales are not important. Maybe I don't have enough information to understand what is going on...

Right now there is some buzz amongst industry folks; mainly because a important writer is releasing a book in this fashion.

Tina how did you learn about the book? Was it from reading Kalamu's blog? Thanks for sharing.

A link was on Tayari Jones blog early last week. I was also perplexed as to how to purchase the book. At first glance I thought it was available only as an ebook or strictly on the lulu website for free. I enjoy John's works and I'm excited to know some new is coming. I have heard (gossip) That his personality borders on aloofness to the publishing world, which might be why the business plan for obtaining his body of work is difficult.