Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

African American Literature Book Club

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Becoming Liz — AALBC Book Review Consideration

Featured Replies

Hello,

I would like to submit my novel, Becoming Liz, for AALBC book review consideration.

Author: Kitt McClain
Title: Becoming Liz
ISBN-13:

Paperback: KDP/am*zon — ISBN 9798995239505

Hardcover: IngramSpark distribution — ISBN 9798995239529

Ebook: Draft2Digital wide distribution — ISBN 9798995239512

Publication date: May 10, 2026
Genre: Upmarket women’s fiction
Themes: Black family, sisterhood, healing, and Black joy
Available formats: paperback, hardcover, and ebook

Description:

Elizabeth Rutland doesn’t fall apart. She plans and adjusts, holding the pieces together before anyone sees the cracks. But when a public betrayal dismantles everything she thought was secure, the control she relies on fails. The life she had built fractures.

Becoming Liz traces one woman’s unraveling and the slow work of becoming whole. As Elizabeth confronts the truth, she must decide who she is without perfection, and whether she’s brave enough to choose herself.

A complimentary review copy is available upon request.

Website: https://kittmcclainofficial.com

Thank you for your consideration.

image.png

Hi @Kitt Thanks for sharing formation about your book.

I don't see your book in distribution; is it an Amazon only title? If so, consider opening it up to wide distribution. Many booksellers will not touch your book otherwise -- Indeed we don't do, free to the author, book reviews (that is one of several reasons we would pass on reviewing a book).

If you purchased the commissioned review we would do it.


I just checked out you site and see that you send readers to Amazon, which is fine, but consider fulfilling your own orders (does Amazon share the customer info?).

The site looks very nice, but I would consider adding some information the ISBN, page count, price, pub date on the page.

I see t

  • Author

Thank you for checking and for pointing this out. The ISBN listed in my post is for the paperback edition, which is distributed through KDP. That explains why it appeared to be an am*zon-only title.

Becoming Liz is also available in hardcover through IngramSpark distribution, ISBN 9798995239529, and the ebook is distributed widely through Draft2Digital, ISBN 9798995239512. I will update my original post and website to make the distribution information clearer.

I appreciate the website suggestions as well.

No Problem, Kit.

OK, I found the hardcover in Ingram (I'd only searched for the paperback previously) .

I know you did not ask for this, but I'll also offer the following:

For the books I'm currently selling the average hardcover book pubbed in 2026 has a page count of 318 pages and a price of $30.38. So, your book is a bit pricey. The real challenge is you are only offering 20% discount to booksellers (see image below from iPage)--that discount is really to low for a brick-and-mortar store to take a chance on carrying. You could offer consignment, but that is another discussion.

As a web-based bookseller I could sell the book, but (ignoring website overhead) after Ingram and credit card fees, I'd make $4.79 on the sale. A brick-and-mortar store has a lot more overhead and really needs a standard discount to risk stocking the book.

By contrast Marlon James' 640 page book is $32 and gives booksellers the standard discount of 40% on a single copy. Amazon is offering 44% off. I make $10.85 selling Marlon's book ($12.13 if sourced from Amazon).

As to the review: I pay a writer and editor for each review--whether I charge the author or not. My motivation is to help authors connect with readers who will enjoy their books. The book review is just one way I do this. As I pointed out. reviews are not free to publish and a critical review from a profession writer, so the free reviews we do are chosen very carefully.

image.png

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.