Does Anyone know the Answer to this Question?

When looking at the independence flags of other nations, it is very clear that the colors have deeper meanings.For instance, some colors and their brief representations: Black-the people, gold-the sun, green-the land... Red-the blood of the people, black-the people, green-the land...Black-the people and their vigor, gold-sun/resources, blue-the water.. and so on. These things are taught right along with the meanings of the triangles or bars /stripes that might be on them.

The American flag has a certain number of stripes, bars, and stars. Most people in America know the symbolism in this.

However, what seems to be vague, what seems to not be taught is the symbolism in the colors of the American flag, the red, white, and blue. I have, of course, seen some explanations of these colors yet these explanations just do not seem to be clear and out in the open. They, at best, seem to be something just made up and distributed.

For something that holds so much meaning to patriots, why is it that what the colors represent is not known? I mean it is a clear crime, almost sacrelige, to burn a flag... It holds so much meaning, yet why is the meaning seemingly obscure?

:-) Before you rush to think that this sista has, yet again, proven to be out of her right mind, ask yourself: "Do I know the symbolism behind the colors of the American flag(especially without looking at Wikipedia for quick yet unsat. reference)? "

• Like 1

Without looking at wikipedia (not that I think wikipedia is the definitive authority on every subject). Here is my guess:

stars = number of states

13 stripes = number of original colonies

red = blood shed for independence

blue = the sky over the new land

white = the color of the people who took over the land :huh:

Hmm.... Well this is much more of a guess than many historians seem to have. :-)

I guess the absence of a thing always leaves an opportunity for creativity. So, I'll piggy back off you, Troy.

Red- For those whom Christopher Columbus discovered had been living here for ages

White-For the heroes who killed most of those above and hijacked the land (for freedom, of course)

Blue- The sentiments of those dispossessed, disinherited, and abducted; some in their own land, others in a strange land

Stars- The sight of the average. For the stars are so bright that the blind many to the realities of those things above and the legacy which is evident in nearly every aspect of society.

(13 probably because dudes who dig aprons especially dig the number 13.)

I know, I know. Shut up and eat my hotdog, right? I would, but I don't eat hot dogs. :unsure: