Obama and the 47% Issue -- why not mention it?

I just looked at the posts on my Facebook for the last 16 hours; aside from a handful of "look what my kid just did" it has been all debate all the time. Or rather it was ultra rabid Obama supporters saying how Obama kicked Romney's ass last night.

One thing I hate about Facebook is that I usually only get one perspective only. With 5,300 friends this seems unlikely. All of my friends, judging by my wall, are blind supporters of Obama. If there is anyone with anything less than pure worship of Obama, it does not appear on my wall...but I digress form the point of this post.

Many people wondered why Obama did not mention Romney's statement:

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it -- that that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. ... These are people who pay no income tax. ... [M]y job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

I believe the Obama's advisers realize there are similar things the Romney camp can cherry pick from Obama's past including "You didn't build that" MC Hammer inspired version below:

I don't think Obama should mention the 47% so early in the debates. I say wait to a point in the debate, perhaps when Obama gives his final statement, a point when Romney will not have an opportunity to give his reaction -- which I'm sure his camp has taken a great deal of time to craft a response.

Time will tell if I'm right about Obama's strategy. But I know if he mentions it Romney has a comeback prepared.

If Obama decides not to mention it, that will be very telling and I would not chalk it up to simply just taking the high road there will be a reason conscious reason for not mentioning it.

I should emphasize that Facebook makes it "seem" like "all" my friends are rabid Obama supporters. I KNOW they are all not. I just don't see their comments on my wall. And if could be only the most ardent supporters of Obama post comments about him while those more indifferent, simply don't post.