1st U.S. Radio broadcast from Havana Cuba in 50 years

NEW YORKJune 11, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- SiriusXM today announced that SiriusXM host and human rights activist Joe Madison's special broadcast of his show, Joe Madison The Black Eagle, aired live today from Cuba in the first national American radio talk broadcast from the island country in more than 50 years. 

The SiriusXM host's live broadcast from Cuba aired earlier today, Thursday, June 11, at 7:00 am ET on SiriusXM Urban View channel 126. It will re-air on Thursday, June 11 at 9:00 pm and 11:00pm.

The broadcast, from the Taino studios in Havana, included guests spanning the worlds of academia, culture, entertainment, and social activism including Professor Arnaldo Coro, Cuban radio host, radio aficionado, and professor at the University of Havana and DeWayne WickhamUSA Today columnist and veteran print journalist.  

The live broadcast is part of SiriusXM host Joe Madison's 7-day visit to Cuba for meetings with government officials, tours of landmarks, and previews of new tourist construction sites in preparation of the predicted waves of American tourists that some believe will flood the country. 

During his weeklong stay in the Caribbean country, Joe Madison is scheduled to meet with and interview legislative leaders; artists; journalists; and black leaders in Cuba including Dr. Esteban MoralesGloria Rolando, and Gisela Arandia.  A weeklong documentary of highlights, which will also focus on the role Afro-Cubans in Cuban society and offer a glimpse at the history of shared interests with African Americans, will air on SiriusXM Urban View channel 126 beginning Monday, July 6, 2015.

"Broadcasting from Cuba is a historic moment and I am thrilled to share it with SiriusXM listeners. At this crucial point in a new era for Cuba, and in its relations with our country, it's exciting to hear directly from the voices of Cuba for the first time in decades," said Joe Madison, SiriusXM host. 

Award-winning humanitarian and civil rights activist Joe Madison broadcasts his daily show on SiriusXM Urban View channel 126 from the SiriusXM studios in Washington, D.C.  A constant participant in the political and national debate, Madison is one of the top African-American radio broadcasters in the nation today most recently breaking the world record following a 52-hour broadcast to raise money for the construction of the Smithsonian's National Museum of African American History and Culture, the final museum planned to be built on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.  The host also recently took to the airways to lead the funding efforts to get actor and comedian Dick Gregory a most deserved star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Madison has interviewed the President of the United States and the First Lady on multiple occasions and is in constant conversation with politicians, activists and the most prominent and respected African American stars.

SiriusXM Urban View features conversation, information, inspiration, empowerment, motivation and companionship from the African-American perspective.  

For more information on SiriusXM and Joe Madison, please visit www.siriusxm.com and www.joemadison.com.

Edited by Troy

Despite what you might expect in a city where 25% of the residents identify as Black and outnumber the populations many African countries, New York is terrible when it comes to talk radio centered on issues important to Black people.  I spend a lot of time in my car and have been listening to SiriusXM radio for the last few years.

I'm not a fan of paying for radio or TV for that matter, and SiriusXM will work with you on the subscription.  I pay around $24 for 6 months for a reduced list of channels.  But even these relatively few channels are vastly superior to the offerings in New York City.  

What we and I'd image every other Black market has is the typical Black radio program; you know the formula, a comedian, with a laughing sidekick, talking about nothing for a few hours and playing the same playlist from the 80's yawn...

Sirius has programming from the likes of Joe Madison, who I was unfamiliar with until I heard him on Sirius.  He is opinionated, often arrogantly, but I like his topics of conversation and I occasionally learn a thing or two.  Surprisingly his broadcast from Cuba, failed to generate any attention. Actually that is not surprising.

Karen Hunter of publishing fame also has a broadcast.  Karen is a dynamic personality hard working and smart. I could not image here being given an opportunity on normal radio, her show was a pleasant discovery. Karen just today (maybe it was yesterday) launched a petition to Remove the Confederate Flag From All Government Places I just signed it.  I think you should too.  The petition has already garnered almost a quarter of a million signatures.

South Carolina will not flying the Confederate Flag at 1/2 staff. It was installed in the 60's as symbol against the civil rights movement.

conferate-flag-sc.jpg

Sirius also hosts Armstrong Williams.  This is an interesting Brother, right wing conservative, very Christian. I often disagree with this brother, but his perspective is interesting or rather surprising.  I don't get the impression he lives around of socializes in environments that are frequented by Black people.

Reverent Al Sharpton is on Sirius too.  Sharpton is perhaps the most prominent talk show host of the network.  He is my homeboy.  He hosted his National Action Network meetings across the street from where I lived.  It was not unusual to see Dr. Ben in attendance at a NAN meeting.  Honestly I'm not a fan of Al's program, but the diversity is good.  

Sirius has a station that broadcasts programs from various HBCUs.  The demographics skews a bot young for my tastes but it is not unusual for me to find a decent talk show conversation and the music is usually very good

Of course Sirius offers the formulaic shows.  Jamie Foxx not only has a show he has his own station, the Foxx Hole but almost never listen to he station.

Net-net the we are better off that SiriusXM exists.  

Edited by Troy