A History of Storer College from Slavery to Desegregation

If you are into history I think you find this book fascinating.  It tells the story of one HBCU's struggle to survive.  Somehow Amazon is selling the book for $17.61 (it lists for $30) which is a steal for this impressive volume*

I just discovered that Nnamdi Azikiwe (Nigeria's first president), attended went to Storer college

An American Phoenix: A History of Storer College from Slavery to Desegregation 1865-1955

storer-college.jpg.727c1b1efc17763923f29

In the first book-length study of Storer College, Dawne Raines Burke tells the story of the historically black institution from its Reconstruction origins to its demise in 1955. Established by Northern Baptists in the abolitionist flashpoint of Harpers Ferry, Storer was the first college open to African Americans in West Virginia, and it played a central role in regional and national history. In addition to educating generations of students of all races, genders, and creeds, Storer served as the second meeting place (and the first on U.S. soil) for the Niagara Movement, a precursor to the NAACP.

An American Phoenix provides a comprehensive and extensively illustrated history of this historically black college, bringing to life not just the institution but many of the individuals who taught or were educated there. It fills a significant gap in our knowledge of African American history and the struggle for rights in West Virginia and the wider world.

--------------------

* looking below the surface: Amazon appears to be selling the book at an apparent loss to get more prime members.  Amazon's practice of selling products at such low  prices (effectively dumping) has concentrated a great deal of power in Amazon hands and has contributed to the decimation of indie stores. So while I recommend the book, if you have the wherewithal to buy it from an indie store consider it.  Given the price differential (essentially paying more than double with shipping and sales tax), I appreciate than may be asking too much. 

If you do buy it from Amazon, at least this website will earn a commission.