50 Best Places to Meet Other Book Lovers Online

This was an article I published just a few years ago . It lists 50 websites for book lovers.  It includes corporate websites and large indies sites well, not are Black owned, expect my site.

While checking the links I discovered more than 1/3 were not longer active.  Honestly, this does not come as a surprise, because I know Black book websites have been clobbered and white-owned websites are not completely immune to the challenges that plague Black sites, they just have a much larger audience and broader support.  

Still, the loss of so many sites is a troubling because, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, it just reflects a trend of the online book world becoming increasingly dominated by a couple of ultra-powerful companies; Amazon and Google,

A major site like Shelfari is gone, taken over by Amazon and then shut down. Amazon already owns Goodreads.

There are some really cool sites left.  One of the things I planned to do during my 6-month boycott of social media was to begin networking on indie websites the way I did on social media.