Debate: Should Trump Be Indicted?

I have attended several of the debates hosted by Intelligence Squared in person and watched many more live.  I have not listened to this one yet. Generally, they are quite informative. 

Attendees are asked to pick a side on the proposition, in this case, Should Trump Be Indicted?  You can for, against, or undecdided. The winner of the debate is the team that has converted the most number of people to their side For or Against.

Again, I think Trump should, like anyone else, be indicted.  He has lived a charmed life free of adverse consequences of the consequences of his bad behavior -- indeed has been rewarded for it! 

It is not his fault; Trump is the beneficiary of white male privilege and a culture that is becoming increasingly base. The prospect of him actually going to jail seems slim to me.

Fear of reprisals from the public, or making Trump a martyr, are poor excuses not to indict the man and jail him upon conviction.

9ac22227-fae2-4483-838b-514ecd84e7e0.png

Sunday, August 14, 2022

f52f173b-e8c2-5dbc-c6d0-3f472d7cf21e.jpg

Here’s what we have in store this week:

• A new debate about the effects of indicting Trump
  • A closer look at the Jan 6. hearings effect on voter support
  • Your Sunday reading list 

For ex-President Donald Trump, it's certainly been a week. Federal agents raided his Mar-a-Lago home. Then, the green light was given to a fraud and tax evasion case against his organization. Meanwhile, he's also staring down potential criminal charges as part of an investigation into efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

That is the focus of today's debate: Should Trump Be Indicted? 

Those in favor argue that no one is above the law. More than enough evidence has been unearthed, they say, to convict. Others warn that indicting a former president — and one who is still popular among his base and likely to campaign — will unleash a dangerous new era in American politics.

It's an important debate. So we had it. 

Arguing "Yes," is Barbara Comstock, a former representative from Virginia's 10th congressional district. Arguing "No," is Tom Ginsburg, professor of political science at the University of Chicago. 

John Donvan moderates.

As always, let us know what you think.

-----

P.S. -  Sign up here for insights on weekly debates. To spark a conversation with a friend, share this newsletter. You can always reach us at info@iq2us.org with ideas and feedback. 

Debating the Data

Former President Donald Trump still has strong support amongst his base. Learn more here.

10aa6cfe-fdf0-58d6-b2cf-2063384ef60b.jpg

POINT/COUNTERPOINT

Should Trump Be Indicted?

YES:

“I don’t think he should be above the law. … It’s just pure legal accountability. And I think Merrick Garland is on the right path here, that he has to be legally accountable in the same way as any other citizen.”

Learn More

Barbara Comstock

Intelligence Squared U.S. Debates

NO:

“Donald Trump still has, despite everything, a tremendous amount of political support … and that’s one reason I’m specifically worried about trying him in because I do think he’s a person who thrives on negative media attention, and, you know, might breathe new life into him.”

Learn More

Tom Ginsburg 

Intelligence Squared U.S. Debates

IQ2 Alumni

Point of View

The real cruelty of Biden's open border policy – it hurts low-income Americans
Batya Ungar-Sargon | August 10, 2022
The New York Post

Watch Batya's debate on The New York Times

A healthy economy needs risk, loss, and failure
Allison Schrager | August 5, 2022
Advisor Perspectives