- A 2022 Top 100 Recommended Children’s Book
- Coretta Scott King Award Winning Book 2019
- Caldecott Medal Winner or Honor
- Ezra Jack Keats Award Winning, or Honored, Book
Publication Date: Oct 02, 2018
List Price: $18.99
Format: Hardcover, 40 pages
Target Age Group: Picture Book
Imprint: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publisher: Hachette Book Group
Parent Company: Hachette Livre
Borrow from Library
In this remarkable author-illustrator debut that’s perfect for fans of Last Stop on Market Street and Extra Yarn as well as for the Thanksgiving season, a generous woman is rewarded by her community.
Everyone in the neighborhood dreams of a taste of Omu’s delicious stew! One by one, they follow their noses toward the scrumptious scent. And one by one, Omu offers a portion of her meal. Soon the pot is empty. Has she been so generous that she has nothing left for herself?
Debut author-illustrator Oge Mora brings to life a heartwarming story of sharing and community in colorful cut-paper designs as luscious as Omu’s stew, with an extra serving of love. An author’s note explains that “Omu” (pronounced AH-moo) means “queen” in the Igbo language of her parents, but growing up, she used it to mean “Grandma.” This book was inspired by the strong female role models in Oge Mora’s life.
- Juvenile Fiction / Cooking & Food
- Juvenile Fiction / Family / Multigenerational
- Juvenile Fiction / People & Places / United States / African American
- Juvenile Fiction / Social Themes / Values & Virtues