The Street: A Novel
by Ann Petry
- A Top 10 Book in the “Urban Fiction Books – Pre 1999” Category
- Voted #43 of the Top 100 Books of the 20th Century
- 2 Time AALBC.com Bestselling Book!
- Selected for 1 Book Club’s Reading List
- A QBR 100 Essential Black Book
Publication Date: Mar 28, 1999
List Price: $14.95 (store prices may vary)
Page Count: 448
Imprint: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Parent Company: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
THE STREET tells the poignant, often heartbreaking story of Lutie Johnson, a young black woman, and her spirited struggle to raise her son amid the violence, poverty, and racial dissonance of Harlem in the late 1940s. Originally published in 1946 and hailed by critics as a masterwork, The Street was Ann Petry's first novel, a beloved bestseller with more than a million copies in print. Its haunting tale still resonates today.
More books like The Street: A Novel may be found by selecting the categories below:
Tell us what do you think about The Street: A Novel.