Brown Girl Dreaming
by Jacqueline Woodson
- A Top 150 African-American Children’s Book
- 6 Time AALBC.com Bestselling Book!
- Coretta Scott King Award Winning Book 2015
- Honored by the National Book Foundation in 2014
- An NAACP Image Award Honored Book
Publication Date: Aug 28, 2014
List Price: $17.99
Format: Hardcover, 336 pages
Imprint: Nancy Paulsen Books
Publisher: Penguin Random House
Parent Company: Bertelsmann and Pearson PLC
Borrow from Library
“Ms. Woodson writes with a sure understanding of the thoughts of young people, offering a poetic, eloquent narrative that is not simply a story… but a mature exploration of grown-up issues and self-discovery.”—The New York Times Book Review
Jacqueline Woodson, one of today's finest writers, tells the moving story of her childhood in mesmerizing verse.
Raised in South Carolina and New York, Woodson always felt halfway home in each place. In vivid poems, she shares what it was like to grow up as an African American in the 1960s and 1970s, living with the remnants of Jim Crow and her growing awareness of the Civil Rights movement. Touching and powerful, each poem is both accessible and emotionally charged, each line a glimpse into a child’s soul as she searches for her place in the world. Woodson’s eloquent poetry also reflects the joy of finding her voice through writing stories, despite the fact that she struggled with reading as a child. Her love of stories inspired her and stayed with her, creating the first sparks of the gifted writer she was to become.
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Biography & Autobiography / Literary
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Biography & Autobiography / Women
- Juvenile Nonfiction / People & Places / United States / African American
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Poetry / General
- Juvenile Nonfiction / Social Topics / Prejudice & Racism
Tell us what do you think about Brown Girl Dreaming.