The Planet Of Junior Brown (2006)
by Virginia Hamilton
Publication Date: May 01, 2006
List Price: $8.99
Format: Paperback, 224 pages
Target Age Group: Young Adult
Publisher: Simon & Schuster, Inc.
Parent Company: CBS Corporation
Borrow from Library
Junior Brown, an overprotected three-hundred pound musical prodigy who’s prone to having fantasies, and Buddy Clark, a loner who lives by his wits because he has no family whatsoever, have been on the hook from their eighth-grade classroom all semester.
Most of the time they have been in the school building — in a secret cellar room behind a false wall, where Mr. Pool, the janitor, has made a model of the solar system. They have been pressing their luck for months…and then they are caught. As society — in the form of a zealous assistant principal — closes in on them, Junior’s fantasies become more desperate, and Buddy draws on all his resources to ensure his friend’s well-being.
- 1972 1973 Mark Twain Awards - nomination
- 1971 Horn Book fanfare book
- 1972 Lewis Carroll Shelf Award - winner
- 1972 Newbery Medal - honor
- 1997 A film, adapted from the novel, was released
- Juvenile Fiction / People & Places / United States / African American
- Juvenile Fiction / Social Themes / Friendship