Notes from the How to Publish Your Book Independently Workshop
The Workshop was Presented March 25, 2018 During the National Black Writers Conference
The presenters were Paul Coates, founder of Black Classic Press and BCP Digital Printing; Troy Johnson, founder of AALBC.com and co-founder of Edit 1st; and Carol Taylor, bestselling author and co-founder of Edit 1st.
These are notes from the workshop. They were last updated March 25, 2018.
AALBC.com, is the largest and most frequently visited website dedicated to books by or about people of African descent. We provide help authors reach readers through banner advertising, Newsletter promotion and more.
Edit 1st Provides a full range of editing services including, line-editing, developmental editing, proofreading, copy-editing and more.
SB Book Design
SB Book Design provides design services for independent publishers, self-publishers and organizations. This includes book covers, inside text layouts and coordinated marketing products such as bookmarks, business cards and posters.
The mission of #readingblack is to encourage everyone to read quality books written by Black people and to purchase those books from independent booksellers. We strive to develop strategies that will make it easier for book buyers to support our mission.
Get an ISBN and Barcode
Bowker is the official ISBN agency in the United States
- ISBN and bar code for your book. (ISBN stands for International Standard Book Number.)
- ISBN and Barcode are required to sell your book in most bookstores and websites
- Obtain an ISBN
- Free Barcode Generator
What is an ISBN?
- 978 (first three digits) is the “Bookland” Country Code
- 9 (last digit) is a check sum bit and is calculated from the previous 12 digits
The following portion of an ISBN may differ in length
- 1 is an English Language Book
- 57478 is the Publisher Imprint designation
- 151 is one of a maximum of 1,000 books than can be assign to this publisher imprint
- The ISBN10 equivalent for this title is 1-57478-151-0
“The standard filing fee for electronic registration is $55. However, the filing fee is $35 if you register one work, not made for hire, and you are the only author and claimant.”
Your Book’s Metadata
Metadata is important information, related to your book, that you must share correctly and consistently; in online databases (Books in Print, Amazon), on your website, with distributors (Ingram) and booksellers (AALBC.com), and social media. Metadata makes it easier for readers most likely to enjoy your book to find it.
- Publication Date
- Series Number and Name
- Page Count
- List Price
- Book Description
- Book Cover Image
- Author Photo
- Author Biography (evergreen)
- Publisher Name
- Publisher Imprint
- Key Words
- Target Audience
Editing Your Book
Pricing is not based upon word count. Each book is different. A manuscript review is performed (Edit 1st’s Process).
- Different types of editing available.
Printing Your Book
Printing Options Include
- Print on Demand POD
Designing Your Book
- Interior of book formated book to industry standards for print (and ebook)
- Design Cover, hire artists, and secure rights or license images
- Coordinate design of bookmarks, posters, flyers
Marketing Your Book
Includes all the activities including identifying your target audience, advertising and publicity required to expose your target reader to your book and compel them to buy, read, and share it others.
- “Troy’s Triangle” for Publishing Success
- Don’t forget traditional techniques.
- Online promotion and advertising: measure, evaluate, and revise.
- Most frequently disregarded activity by indie publishers (Troy’s anecdotal observation)
- Order fulfillment
- Inventory management
- Sales and marketing support
- Bowker (Books in Print)
- Black-Owned Bookstores
- Black-Owned Books Websites
- List of book Fairs and Festivals
- Book Clubs Focused on Black Literature
- Black Owned Newspapers
- Black Owned Magazines
- The Top 50 Black-owned Websites