College Life of a Retired Senior: A Memoir of Perseverance, Faith, and Finding the Way

College Life of a Retired Senior by Yvonne Blackwood, was released March 2023. ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1489746375. I am interested in a book review.

Synopsis: 

Seven years after she retired from a lengthy career in banking, Yvonne Blackwood surprised her friends and family by returning to school at age sixty-four to pursue an English degree. Her purpose was fueled by four powerful reasons—to add texture to her writing; to ward off dementia; to enhance structure in her life; and to inspire her two young grandsons to continue their education after high school. But as she stepped onto the campus of Canada’s third-largest university, Blackwood had no idea of the hurdles she was about to face.

In a retelling of her journey into a new beginning, Blackwood details how, after enrolling in York University, she struggled to maintain her established lifestyle, attend class with hard-to-connect-with millennials, and face a series of challenges that included two strikes at the university, a campus lockdown during the COVID-19 pandemic, and a shocking health diagnosis in her final year of studies. While leaning on the university’s motto—the way must be tried—Blackwood tells an inspiring story of how she persevered and learned to rely on her faith as she bravely conquered her fears and vulnerabilities to eventually achieve her goal.

Book cover 2.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 5/2/2023 at 3:23 AM, Yvonne Blackwood said:

College Life of a Retired Senior by Yvonne Blackwood, was released March 2023. ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1489746375. I am interested in a book review.

Synopsis: 

Seven years after she retired from a lengthy career in banking, Yvonne Blackwood surprised her friends and family by returning to school at age sixty-four to pursue an English degree. Her purpose was fueled by four powerful reasons—to add texture to her writing; to ward off dementia; to enhance structure in her life; and to inspire her two young grandsons to continue their education after high school. But as she stepped onto the campus of Canada’s third-largest university, Blackwood had no idea of the hurdles she was about to face.

In a retelling of her journey into a new beginning, Blackwood details how, after enrolling in York University, she struggled to maintain her established lifestyle, attend class with hard-to-connect-with millennials, and face a series of challenges that included two strikes at the university, a campus lockdown during the COVID-19 pandemic, and a shocking health diagnosis in her final year of studies. While leaning on the university’s motto—the way must be tried—Blackwood tells an inspiring story of how she persevered and learned to rely on her faith as she bravely conquered her fears and vulnerabilities to eventually achieve her goal.

Book cover 2.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   From my experience, I can say that getting a degree is not easy, and of course, the older a person is, the harder it is to study. Educational programs nowadays are very intense, and students have to spend a lot of time studying and dedicating maximum effort. For me, the hardest thing is to write different papers. From time to time, I use https://assignmentbro.com/ca/do-my-assignment because when I do not have enough time, I prefer using professional help and not to miss the deadline or spend the sleepless night. But it's part of life, and education is important to me, so I do my best.          

Thanks for sharing this book. I'll for sure read it after finishing the one I read now. I know how education can be complicated for people of all ages, and I think for me personally, it will be motivational.