Fox News.....Common Sense....And an example of why Right-Wing Conservatives have gained so much ground with Americans

image.png.142d53d95a27ae22a91277d8470b72ab.png

Americans are tipping less often for a variety of services, demonstrating a steady decline over the last few years, according to new data from Bankrate released this week.

Also, two-thirds (66%) of the survey's respondents have a negative view about tipping, including 41% saying they feel like businesses should pay their employees better rather than relying so much on tips. And, people are feeling annoyed about pre-entered tip screens (32%), sharing that the present tipping culture has gotten out of control (30%), and noting they would be willing to pay higher prices if they could do away with tipping (16%), and being confused about who and how much to tip (15%), according to Bankrate’s report.

Ted Rossman, Bankrate’s senior industry analyst, says in his opinion, what’s causing negative tipping views for the past year is the economy.

"The biggest change, within the past year at least, is that inflation is leaving people with less money to go around," Rossman tells FOX Business. "A lot of people seem to feel like things cost enough already, so they’re not as likely to tip on top of that.

6 TIPS TO SAVE $100 A WEEK AND PUT IT TOWARD SAVINGS

Also, he says the "groundswell of appreciation" for service industry workers that was evident early in the pandemic seems to have faded.

READ ON THE FOX BUSINESS APP

"But we were seeing a tipping decline even before the pandemic. It seems like the ‘tip creep’ that’s occurring – being asked to tip for things that didn't warrant a tip – is annoying a lot of people."

"Consumers aren’t going to want to pay higher prices, and if you don’t tip generously, you’re hurting the worker, not the business," he says.

The tipping acceptance topic with regard to food items often involves the type of service and can include sit-down dining, quick-service stops and delivery services.

"I think everyone should be tipping 20% at a sit-down restaurant, unless the service is really bad," Rossman tells FOX Business. "Many waiters and waitresses make as little as $2.13 per hour (the federal tipped minimum wage), with tips expected to boost their compensation."

Rossman cites from research that just 65% of sit-down restaurant diners always tip, down from 77% four years ago, and he notes that only 44% tip at least 20%, down from 50% last year.

"I think we should always tip for delivery, too. The exact figure depends on the size of the order – for example, instead of a percentage, it might make sense to tip something like $5 for a pizza," Rossman adds.

WHAT IS ‘CASH STUFFING’ AND HOW DOES IT WORK?

Consumers may not know that a service or delivery fee often doesn’t go to the delivery person.

"I don’t think you should feel compelled to tip if you’re picking up takeout. That was more of a thing during the pandemic when sit-down dining was shut down," he continues.

Bankrate’s study suggests high inflation and unease about the economy contribute to stingier consumers.

"I understand that money is tight for a lot of people, but I’d also note that tipping often involves discretionary expenses," Rossman says. "Honestly, if you can’t afford to tip 20% for sit-down dining, you probably shouldn’t be going to that restaurant. When tipping is customary, like it is at restaurants, I think consumers need to build these costs into their budgets."

Rossman does think that sometimes the tip creep goes too far.

"I was recently asked to tip by a self-checkout machine at Newark Airport. I also don’t like how Hopper, the online travel agency, asks for tips when people book travel on their website. I’ve even heard of some doctors’ offices asking for tips," Rossman says. "These all feel like overreaches and blatant revenue grabs."

According to Rossman, tipping should be more of a reward for service, and is often expected when someone is serving you food or carrying your bags.

"It’s not usually for self-service or highly paid professionals such as doctors," he says.

And, in his view, pre-populated tip screens can be awkward.

"Because the cashier is often looking right at you when you decide whether or not to tip them, and customers behind you in line might be snooping too," adds.

The amounts are also very strategic. They typically are 10%, 15% and 20% or 20%, 25% and 30%.

SURGING INFLATION: HOW TO TRIM $200 FROM YOUR MONTHLY BUDGET

A lot of people tip in these instances out of guilt.

"Starbucks, for example, says half of its customers who pay with credit and debit cards leave a tip," reports Rossman. "These pre-entered screens shift the tipping dynamic from needing to actively decide to tip (like putting spare change or a couple bucks in a tip jar) to actively declaring that you don’t want to tip (which isn’t always easy on those pre-entered screens). I suspect a lot of people don’t really want to tip for something like a coffee or food truck order, but they’re guilted into it, and then they feel bad afterward.

The survey reports that people said they would tip better during and after the pandemic, but that hasn’t really lasted, says Rossman.

"At present, 14% of Americans say they’re tipping more than they did prior to the pandemic, and 9% say they’re tipping less," he explains. "Other components of our survey point to a marked decline in the frequency of tipping for various services. Every single category is down from the recent past."

Bankrate’s report outlines that Americans are tipping less often for numerous services, demonstrating a steady decline over the last few years. According to its research, Gen Zers (ages 18-26), millennials (ages 27-42), and men stand out for being the worst tippers across multiple service categories.

In general, Rossman says, older Americans tend to be better tippers.

"I think this is mostly because they have more money, but also perhaps because they’re more ingrained with the social norms surrounding tipping," he says.

This pattern continues across the majority of other services, with differences in how Gen Zers, millennials and men in particular tip hair stylists/barbers, food delivery people and taxi/rideshare drivers, says Bankrate.

The study reports that "While 53% of U.S. adults who have a hair stylist/barber always tip them, just 24% of Gen Zers, 40% of millennials, and 46% of men always do so, compared to 60% of women, 67% of Gen Xers, and 70% of baby boomers."

Similarly, 50% of U.S. adults who order food delivery always tip the delivery person, but just 31% of Gen Zers, 42% of millennials, and 45% of men do the same, compared to 54% of women, 63% of Gen Xers, and 62% of baby boomers, Bankrate’s study reports.

Finally, according to the study, while 40% of U.S. adults who ride in taxis/rideshares always tip the driver, just 22% of Gen Zers, 30% of millennials and 36% of men always tip them, compared to 45% of women, 51% of Gen Xers, and 56% of baby boomers.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX BUSINESS APP

Tipping culture general feedback, according to the study, says 30% of U.S. adults overall say that tipping culture has gotten out of control, with the tendency to feel this way increasing for older generations and higher earners. Thirty-three percent of Gen Xers and baby boomers agree with this sentiment about tipping culture, compared to 27% of millennials and 22% of Gen Zers.

Forty percent of those in the highest-earning households (earning $100,000-plus annually) say tipping culture has gotten out of control, according to Bankrate’s data, compared to 34% of those  earning between $80,000 and $99,999 annually, 33% earning between $50,000 and $79,999 annually and 23% in the lowest-earning households (earning less than $50,000 annually).

And, benevolence surely still matters, as the study says that 35% of people say they feel good when they leave a generous tip.

Bankrate's survey was conducted May 3-5, 2023, with a sample size of 2,437 U.S. adults.

Americans are getting tired of tipping, survey shows. Here’s why (msn.com)

I noticed this story earlier today and decided to post it NOT because I'm a Conservative or a Fox News fan, because I'm neither.
I posted it as an example of how they are taking POPULIST IDEAS and claiming them as their own!

Why is a right-wing new source like Fox grabbing an idea like "too much tipping" and discussing it when that used to be a LEFTIST issue concerning poor people who don't have enough money to spend away in big tips?

This tactic is one of the reasons the Conservatives have won over so many common working class people.
They know how to reach the poor and working class by hitting on ideas and subject WE care about even if Fox and the other right-wing leaders themselves could care less.

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

Why is a right-wing new source like Fox grabbing an idea like "too much tipping" and discussing it when that used to be a LEFTIST issue concerning poor people who don't have enough money to spend away in big tips?

Most Conservatives are middle- or working-class or poor. 

A poor Conservative cannot afford to tip any more than poor Liberal.😁

The catch 22 is that both political parties are two sides of the same.😎

ProfD

I agree.

But you know what.....as racist as a lot of poor and working-class Whites are.....I DO believe SOME of them can be worked with with the right message.
A small minority....but they do exist.

Intelligent and strong Black mayors like Coleman Young and Marion Barry found a way to work with SOME White folks on all economic levels and made alliances with them to get certain things accomplished.

I say this, because I don't believe most AfroAmerican politicans are going about things the CORRECT way.
I think most of them are being led around by White Democratic leaders who have their own agendas and not ours and this is preventing them from developing their own agendas that may be able to strategically make alliances WITH some of these poor and working class Whites.

I have to stress and stress again....MOST poor and working class Whites ARE RACIST and can't be trusted.
However as long as we live in the same nation together we have to find a way to work with and try to get along with SOME of them and I believe INTELLIGENT AfroAmericans CAN find a way.

But you know what.....as racist as a lot of poor and working-class Whites are.....I DO believe SOME of them can be worked with with the right message.
A small minority....but they do exist.

Although brotha Macolm X softened his stance upon his return from Mecca, he did caution that it was unwise and foolish to allow white folks into Black organizations. Especially not in positions of leadership. 

It only took a handful of white folks to colonize Australia and take over South Africa. 

White folks cannot br trusted and they are too dangerous. If they are willing to kill and maim each other for little or nothing....imagine what they're willing and capable of doing to non-white folks.

Black folks have to be totally on code before they can even think about building strategic alliances with white folks and others.

Black folks cannot jump from head start to college that fast. 🤣😎

ProfD

Although brotha Macolm X softened his stance upon his return from Mecca, he did caution that it was unwise and foolish to allow white folks into Black organizations. Especially not in positions of leadership. 

And our brother Malcolm was ABSOLUTELY correct.

And I will make it clear that when I talk about having STRATEGIC ALLIANCES WITH SOME Whites....this doesn't include allowing them into ALL of our organizations (although I would allow them into some) and DEFINITELY not in leadership of ANY of our organizations.

Also, keep in mind when I talk about OUR organizations I'm talking SPECIFICALLY about those that I am or will be apart of...not ANY or ALL Black organizations.

Why does that make a difference?

Because "our" organizations are or will be made up primarily of INTELLIGENT and CONSCIOUS AfroAmericans who know exactly what our Agenda is and what results we want to see whatever we're trying to do.

So for example.....
If there's crime in our neighborhood and we want to set up a neighborhood watch, it will be MOSTLY intelligent law abiding AfroAmericans...about 90%.
The other 10% consisted of  2 Mexicans, 5 Caucasian men and women, and 1 Filipina woman.
Except for the Filipina woman....NONE of the other non-AfroAmericans were in leadership positions and we made it CRYSTAL CLEAR that if you wanted to be a part of our neighborhood watch organization you HAD to follow OUR leadership.
And they did.

As usual and as I've observed for YEARS.....the Caucasian men were so eager to just be IN the group (possibly to keep an eye on what we were doing) that they were willing to accept ANY role just to be inside of it....lol.

Some Whites were taking orders from brothers the knew were in the Nation of Islam....lol...and OBEYED THEM....LOL.

And it worked out.
Crime was pretty much eliminated and even relationships with the local law enforcement was improved.

It only took a handful of white folks to colonize Australia and take over South Africa. 

True.
Because that handful consisted of mostly INTELLIGENT people while many of those they ruled over must have been NOT AS intelligent.
And perhaps those who WERE intelligent or more intelligent than the Whites...were not united.

White folks cannot br trusted and they are too dangerous. If they are willing to kill and maim each other for little or nothing....imagine what they're willing and capable of doing to non-white folks.

You're absolutely correct.
But collectively they are so smart and so powerful that many of our people have NO CHOICE but to work with or for them ANYWAY regardless of whether or not they know this.
So if you have NO or LITTLE CHOICE but to work with them and live with them....the INTELLIGENT thing to do is to work and live with them as BEST you can.

Black folks have to be totally on code before they can even think about building strategic alliances with white folks and others.

If by "Black folks" you mean ALL or MOST Black folks....I'm not sure that's going to happen anytime soon.
I wouldn't advice anybody to hold their breath waiting on niggas to get "on code".

If that's what some people are waiting for....might as well forget about it for now and have a pizza..lol.

But I do believe SOME Black folks are ALREADY on code and united in pushing THEIR personal Agendas or the Agendas of the group they're in and they have had success working with SOME White folks to get SPECIFIC things accomplished.

We can't wait on fools, crack heads, and half retarded niggas who've smoked so much fake weed that their lips have turned purple- to get on code with the rest of intelligent Black folks.
They are dead weight holding the community back.

Intelligent Black folks with a plan need to WORK that plan in whatever arena or endeavor they are focused on and make sure the Whites they are working with don't DIVERT it.

The key is to have a HEALTHY mistrust of the Whites you're working with and stay FOCUSED on YOUR agenda...and you will be successful.

Black folks cannot jump from head start to college that fast.

LOL.
College???

Some of these niggas couldn't make it past Kindergarten.

I remember as a kid while most of us were eating graham crackers and drinking those little apple juices...some of these niggas were eating paste and licking their fingers grinning.

I remember as a kid how HARD it was for some kids to just stand in line.
The teacher would try to line us up in a straight line and some fools would wander in circles out of the line into the walls and stand back looking crazy....just couldn't even stand in line.
And I notice some of them managed to grow up and were the SAME WAY....can't even stand in a straight line at the McDonalds and end up fighting over who's next.

image.png.be030cb1d97df4b3c2d5cd0bbcebca43.png

"You saw us standing there, what the fuck man????"
"Fuck YOU dude....I was hungry and you looked like you
weren't ready to order yet so...."

@Pioneer1, white folks aren't the most intelligent or organized people on the planet. However, they have  proven to be the most destructive. Cue up the world wars.

White folks have  amassed power through colonization, strategic alliances and a willingness to kill in order to establish and maintain the system of racism white supremacy.

As I've written before, I don't believe 

Black folks are less intelligent than any other group of people either.

I do believe fear keeps Black folks paralyzed especially as it relates to doing anything towards dismantling the system of racism white supremacy. 😎

21 hours ago, ProfD said:

I do believe fear keeps Black folks paralyzed especially as it relates to doing anything towards dismantling the system of racism white supremacy. 😎

If fear is the culprit holding so many Black folks hostage and keeping them from dismantling the system.....we certainly don't show fear when it comes to dealing with EACHOTHER.

Perhaps fear is a major factor in preventing Black folks from actively tearing down the system of Racism, however what I believe is an even bigger factor is the LOVE OF and RELIANCE ON the system that prevents so many Black folks from tearing it down.
Too many Black folks LOVE White folks and the system they designed, they receive what they think is a lot of benefits from it and many have indeed gotten rich from it.
They have no plans or desires to tear it down because they are inlove with it.

Kind of like the "house nigga" in Malcolm's analogy.
When it comes time to run away the house nigga will stand there looking at you like you're crazy....

image.png.0559723fe0b2edd90cf5d24e243d7eaa.png

"Run away??? And go where?
Where we go find a place nicer than this with food better than this?"

Today the average nigga will look at you and say...........

image.png.a53082a331f767e85ea286f2901e2180.png
"Dismantle the White man's system?
And replace it with WHAT????
Nigga you crazy!
Where we go find another system better than this?
Where else can I get all the weed I'm smoking here?
Where else will I find places where I can order off 
the dollar menu at Taco Bell or Micky D's?
Nigga you better GIT' ON talking 'bout tearing down
some White man's system!
I'm about to TEAR DOWN the door to the liquor store
and get me a half pint of Hen-dawg....LOL"

You talk about tearing down the system of racism and some of these nigga'll grab some duct tape and hammers and try to patch it back together again and keep the bullshit going.

• Haha 1

You talk about tearing down the system of racism and some of these nigga'll grab some duct tape and hammers and try to patch it back together again and keep the bullshit going.

You're right.😁

They are the dusty dudes, chickenheads, bootlicks and shills.🤣

They're not all ignorant or unintelligent. Just lazy azz h8ll in one way or another whether it's mental or physical. Not when it comes to upholding the prison system.  Go figure.😎

No, not ALL of them are ignorant or unintelligent.....but so many ARE that it's had a major negative impact on our people collectively and left them vulnerable to be enslaved, massacred, and displaced.

Look how the young people call violent Rap "trap" music and call the dope houses "trap" houses.......
Even when they KNOW Gangsta Rap was put out as a TRAP to encourage violence.....they still make it.
Even when they KNOW drugs was put into the community as a TRAP to get them incarcerated....they continue to sell it.

.....for some of our people, outside of a Miracle....there is no hope.
Can't afford to waste more time on them.

In the absence of building major institutions (banks, schools, hospitals, etc.), franchises, companies and corporations, it seems AfroAmericans have found the roads to riches mean working for someone else, playing sports, making music and selling drugs. To varying degrees, it's the same thing for Blacks folks all over the planet.  

For some strange reason, too many Black people refuse to learn how to be self-sufficient.  It's almost as if our people are literally waiting for the rug to be pulled from beneath their feet and force them into building their own sh8t.

Right now, many AfroAmericans work for white folks.  Chinese people are building the infrastructure in Africa. White folks are running countries that are predominantly Black.  

More than ignorance and lack of intelligence have left Black folks vulnerable.  Fear, insolence and greed play a role as well.😎

ProfD

Well, perhaps I'm a little too critical of our brothers and sisters when it comes to wealth building....especially since I'M not very wealthy myself, lol.

Perhaps at the end of the day, most of our people are just doing the best they know how to do anyway.
They're doing what their intellectual limits allow them to.

I've observed that most people of ANY race aren't qualified to even be managers of a business.....let alone build one and own one successfully.
All they can do IS work....for someone else....and many can barely show up on time and do that properly.

Ideally...that "someone" they work for would be another AfroAmerican but if there aren't enough Black businesses that are paying enough money for them to consider, then they do what they have to.

Even when it comes to White and Chinese folks running Black countries......

I will criticize it all day long but if I'm the leader of a Black nation in Africa and the nation next to me brings White folks and Chinese in to shape and build their economy and I see some of their people improving their economic situation almost overnight....it will be hard for me to convince MY people that the foreign blood-suckers should be kept out, lol.

Just like it's hard for the brother on the block to NOT atleast play around with selling dope for some money when so many on is block ARE and making money doing so.