Spacefunk! Anthology Press Release!

Milton

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MV Media Announces The Spacefunk! Anthology Kickstarter Launch on Juneteenth

[Atlanta, Georgia] – June 14, 2024 – Get ready to embark on an interstellar journey as MVmedia proudly announces the launch of the highly anticipated Spacefunk! Anthology Kickstarter on Juneteenth, June 19, 2024. In the spirit of Sun Ra’s iconic mantra, "Space is the Place," this monumental anthology takes you beyond the stars with over 40 captivating stories, poems, and images. Showcasing the boundless creativity of African and African Diaspora creators, MVmedia aims to raise $20,000 to bring this visionary project to life and celebrate Black speculative fiction like never before.

The Spacefunk! anthology boasts contributions from some of the most acclaimed authors in literature. Highlighted authors include:

Eugen M. Bacon: An African Australian speculative fiction author, British Fantasy Award and Philip K. Dick Award finalist.

Jessica Cage: An international award-winning and USA Today Bestselling author known for her paranormal romance and urban fiction.

Wole Talabi: A Nigerian speculative fiction writer and Hugo, Nebula, and Locus award finalist.

Linda D. Addison: An award-winning author, HWA Lifetime Achievement Award recipient, and SFPA Grand Master of Fantastic Poetry.

Maurice Broaddus: An award-winning Afrofuturist and librarian with an extensive publication history, including contributions to Lightspeed Magazine, Black Panther: Tales from Wakanda, and Asimov’s.

S.A. Crosby: An Anthony Award-winning southern crime-noir writer and author of New York Times bestseller Razorblade Tears and Blacktop Wasteland.

Edited by Milton Davis, a Black speculative fiction writer and owner of MV Media, the anthology promises to be a vibrant collection of imaginative works. Davis is a renowned figure in the field, recognized for his contributions to Black Panther: Tales of Wakanda and co-author of Hadithi and the State of Black Speculative Fiction with Eugen Bacon.

Quotes from Contributors:

“We bring the funk because that's who we are. That's what we do. The power of Black imagination, creating on our terms. Our joy building resilience and resistance through art. Be it by Arkestra or Mothership Connection, the stars are ours. The stars are our destiny.” — Maurice Broaddus

“It’s invigorating to see the evolution of Black speculative fiction today, thanks to the ventures of publishers like Milton Davis at MV Media LLC. I am thrilled to engage with the African community once more, together with those in the diaspora, in stimulating stories. We trust our readers and the curiosity of critics out there to bolster the success and visibility of this Spacefunk anthology.” — Eugen Bacon

"When I heard about this project, I couldn't wait to jump on it! Spacefunk gave me the opportunity to stretch my creative muscles and explore a genre that I've been intrigued by for a while now while imagining a future full of afros, aliens, and great music!" — Jessica Cage

“My imagination is ignited by real facts, so I began working on my piece for the Spacefunk anthology by my longtime friend Milton by searching for connections between Africa and the stars. One thing that heavily flavored my poem, Space Children Dream of the Last Place, was the Dogon people of Mali. They have an old legend that fishlike creatures from the star Sirius came to Africa some 5,000 years ago and shared many details, including the existence of a second smaller star, invisible to the naked eye. The fact is Sirius B wasn't discovered by European astronomers until 1862.” — Linda D. Addison

“I'm excited to be part of this project that brings visions of people from Africa and the African diaspora out in the star-bedazzled velvet blackness of space, searching for meaning, for adventure, for survival, for wonder, for joy. And I can't wait to read these stories.” — Wole Talabi

Join the Movement:

Support the Spacefunk! Anthology Kickstarter and become part of a groundbreaking celebration of Black speculative fiction. Visit: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mvmedia/spacefunk to pledge your support and help the Spacefunk! Anthology project creators reach their goal of $20,000. The Kickstarter goes live on June 19th, but you can sign up now to be notified upon launch.

For media inquiries, please contact:

Tiara Jante, Legacy Media Online
Email: tiara@legacymediaonline.com

You can also follow the Spacefunk! Anthology on the project’s Facebook page.

About MV Media:

MVmedia, LLC is a publishing company dedicated to showcasing the diverse and dynamic voices of African and African Diaspora creators in science fiction, fantasy, and speculative fiction. Founded by Milton Davis, MVmedia has been at the forefront of promoting Black speculative fiction, offering readers a rich array of stories that celebrate Black culture and imagination. To learn more, visit: www.mvmediaatl.com

SPACEFUNK! 0 FRONT COVER working 1.jpg