Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

African American Literature Book Club

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Featured Replies


For those of you who think that AI possesses consciousness..........

Emotion is a product OF consciousness.

Are there any reports of AI showing emotion?

I do not think emotions are a prerequisite for consciousness. Nor do I think that emotions are a prerequisite for consciousness.

When it comes to the AI systems, we like to shoehorn our sensibilities and anthropomorphizing them in the same way we think beings from another planet will think that say way we do. Shoot there are humans on THIS planet whose motivation escape my comprehension.

That said I have not heard any stories of AI presenting with emotions, nor do I expect them to. Emotions are a human construct and you can be conscious without them.

What is the motivation for your question @Pioneer1 ?

  • Author
10 minutes ago, Troy said:

What is the motivation for your question @Pioneer1 ?


At some point somebody whom I had been discussing AI with....I want to say frankster but I'm not 100% sure because I don't have the quote....said that AI not only possesses self awareness but also has a survival instinct in which some systems avoid being destroyed and self-destruction.

If this is true.....IF it's true...the most likely explanation is that somebody programed this security feature into some AI systems.

On the other hand, for those who believe AI possesses consciousness.....if this survival instinct or avoidance of destruction arises out of the "consciousness" of the AI entity itself, then there would have to be a MOTIVATOR behind it and that motivator would most likely be an emotion.

Like fear or desire.


Fear.....of death or non-existence
Desire.....to stay alive


Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.