Just Suppose...

Lately, an intriguing phrase has come to my attention, one that refers to the movers and shakers who shape the zeitgeist of the 21st century. The term being bandied about by those who keep tabs on sociological trends is “The Nanny State”. This is a label I find very appropriate because television, the Internet, and the print news that permeate every aspect of our lives, have merged into a politically-correct nursemaid  babysitting the masses.

Presuming to know what’s best for us, they have sat us on their knees and pacified us with fairy tales. Robbing us of the initiative to think for ourselves and dousing us with superficiality, the "Nanny State" tells us how we are supposed to react to any event that is deemed newsworthy. To wit:

We are supposed to gaze with awe and adoration at Mother Superior Angelina Jolie because she could afford an operation to increase her life span.

We are supposed to cheer from the rafters and give a standing ovation to NBA center Jason Collins the superstar benchwarmer who came out of the shower and finally decided to declare he is gay - and can now look forward to a state of wedded bliss with a same sex slam dunker.

We are supposed to gawk in admiration at Apple’s peeled mother, Gwyneth Paltrow, who the blurred lenses of PEOPLE magazine have declared to be “the most beautiful woman in the world”.  We are also  supposed to be impressed by whose designer gown is hugging Jennifer Lopez’s ass on the red carpet.

We are supposed to revere our all-volunteer military, ignoring that these enlistees are motivated by an aggression masquerading as patriotism, and are spurred by a warrior mentality to gravitate toward an occupation that will give them an excuse to shoot and kill, offering as a bonus, the females in the ranks whose bodies are available for any further urge to invade.

We are supposed to obey the overbearing food police who put us on diets and tell us what should not be on our menus, as if there are no theraputic benefits to be gained from enjoying what tastes good and satisfies our appetites.  I just put more salt on my red meat, and I feel better already. 

We are supposed to be waiting with baited breath for Prince William's wife, what's-her-name, to increase  England's royal population of free-loading do-nothings by dropping out an heir who may very well have as little hair as its father.  Waaaaah.

We are supposed to fulfill our desperate need for heroes and think that, unlike garbage men, first responders are extraordinary for doing the jobs they‘re hired to do. "Sorry we took 20 minutes to get here. The 911 operator got the address wrong." 

We are supposed to assure “sexting” young hotties using the social media as a showcase for their nubile charms, that they are entitled to claim “rape” as a back-up any time their risky drunken behavior results in their ending up entangled with the body of a horny young man who thinks "yes" means "yes".

We are supposed to be appalled at the idea that kinky Rihanna gave edgy Chris Brown a second chance to slap her ass and - deliver an orgasm.

We are supposed to think that the Pope is a rock star whose agent is God, - that heavenly wheeler dealer who also has a side gig that entails  blessing America, and being on its side in time of war.

We are supposed to think that “going green” will neutralize killer tornados, or  catastrophic earthquakes or  devastating tsuamis. Oops. Where’s our house?

We are supposed to think that Blacks don’t commit suicide when in reality, they take their lives into their own hands every time they walk down an inner city street, leaving  their drive-by killers to hang themselves in jails cells.

We are supposed to think that Arab Muslims in this country love America and don’t secretly want to get in good with Allah by bringing down a tall building full of Jews and Christians.

Last but not least, we are supposed to think that Michael Douglas, instead of his wife, is crazy when he says oral sex caused the human papiloma virus (HPV) type of throat cancer he had when, in fact, he's right. HPV is also the source of genital warts, a common STD. EW.

Me, I don’t follow the dictates of the mind-controllers. I know I'm supposed to be concerned about wild horses being corralled and shipped off to glue factories. But I'm not.

• Like 1